Notices
Cooking & Grilling General discussion forum regarding kitchen cooking and BAR-B-Q Grilling.

Ribs!!!!!!!!

Old 05-25-2013, 04:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ribs!!!!!!!!

Ok so normally for just my family ibwoukd BBQ some baby back ribs. But we a few people stopping by on Monday for a cookout and got the value of feeding everyone I am thinking country style ribs.

Problem is, I have never in my life grilled these things. My mother bless her heart always makes then in the crockpot, that just ain't my style. I prefer Los and slow on the grill any jker's BBQ these things..

Baby backs from a few weeks ago
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1309546539.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	461356  
Old 05-25-2013, 07:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually cook mine in the oven on low slow cook for about 6hrs in tinfoil. Then I remove the foil and apply the sauce. Next, let them cook long enough to dry them out and thicken the sauce.

I know some people will boil them before putting them on the grill. If you don't, they'll be a bit tough. I suppose wrapping them like I do in foil would work on the grill as well.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:24 AM
JK Newbie

I do my ribs in a smoker. I cook them using the 3-2-1 method. 3 hours with smoke @ 220-230°. Wrap them in foil for 2 hours & back in the smoker still at 220°. Then unfoil for the last hour. Most of the time i do dry rub. If I am gonna sauce them I do several light coats during the last hour.

Never Forget 343
PTB-EGH
Old 05-25-2013, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Everyone that replied got it right' low and slow is the way. I cook mine on the BBQ on very low indirect heat wrapped in foil after 3 he's or so remove foil place over direct heat to color them up a bit and consume. If you test open the foil and they're not about to fall off the bone they're not done yet. Real simple
Old 05-25-2013, 07:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a smoker with a side mounted fire box. 225-250 degrees for 5 hours is my norm. Dry rub and I use orange tree wood for my smoke.

The steady low temp inderect heat is the key to getting ribs done correctly (and a supply of cold beverages).

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012 Ribs 2.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	461427Click image for larger version

Name:	2012 Ribs 3.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	461428

Old 05-25-2013, 09:05 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by kaptkrappy
I use a smoker with a side mounted fire box. 225-250 degrees for 5 hours is my norm. Dry rub and I use orange tree wood for my smoke.

The steady low temp inderect heat is the key to getting ribs done correctly (and a supply of cold beverages).

Attachment 461427Attachment 461428

Try cherry and apple wood chips and then throw a bit of Hickory chips in too.

Everything sounds good-best way nice and slow
Old 05-25-2013, 09:26 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ffrogg
Ok so normally for just my family ibwoukd BBQ some baby back ribs. But we a few people stopping by on Monday for a cookout and got the value of feeding everyone I am thinking country style ribs.

Problem is, I have never in my life grilled these things. My mother bless her heart always makes then in the crockpot, that just ain't my style. I prefer Los and slow on the grill any jker's BBQ these things..

Baby backs from a few weeks ago
We've got a treager grill ( wood pellets with smoke feature and cooks up to 450*) my oldest brother was a master chef and he taught me to slow cook starting 6-8 hours before dinner time wrapped in foil. Cook at around 225* pretty much whole time spraying with apple juice will keep meat tender. About 1-2 hours before done at bbq sauce of choice (I like famous daves devils spit sauce) then right before done dump rest of sauce in. Falls off bones and so good.

Trending Topics

Old 05-25-2013, 09:39 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by res6cueJK
I do my ribs in a smoker. I cook them using the 3-2-1 method. 3 hours with smoke @ 220-230°. Wrap them in foil for 2 hours & back in the smoker still at 220°. Then unfoil for the last hour. Most of the time i do dry rub. If I am gonna sauce them I do several light coats during the last hour.

Never Forget 343
PTB-EGH
This is the method I use as well. Turns out great.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah baby cams I will usually be on for a out 4-5 hrs. Country style ribs is something I usually do not cook. With a rack of ribs I will tent the rack on the grill and kinda of steam them with apple juice and fresh minced garlic for about an hr to an hr and a half then in direct heat for the remainder of the time with a health amount if smoke. Someone stole my charcoal grill so infrared is all I have for now. Thanks for all the advice guys gonna give the country style a go
Old 05-25-2013, 03:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've done a lot of ribs and can tell you country style need more attention so thet dont dry Out. I've had good luck with them in the smoker however. I let them rest on the counter for 30 minutes while prepping the smoker. Them I try to put them in the smoker before it heats up completely. I will smoke them dry rub or salt only ( depending on your sauce style you choose later) for about 1.5 hours then I foil them (all together not individually) for another 1.5 hours then I remove from foil and sauce them and then place them on the grill for about 5 or so minutes until they are glazed. Then let them rest for about 15 before serving.

Kind of a ramble but it works great. I usually use maple or hickory or alder or a combination of them

Quick Reply: Ribs!!!!!!!!