Notices
Cooking & Grilling General discussion forum regarding kitchen cooking and BAR-B-Q Grilling.

venison recipes

Old 05-08-2011, 10:26 AM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JK jeepin
I would like to see some more deer recipes .... cuz I still have alot of muley meat in the frezer

Where did you kill your muley? I used to live in Tahoe and killed a couple up there.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:17 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by AK4Dave

Where did you kill your muley? I used to live in Tahoe and killed a couple up there.
I hunt Zones D-14,and D-16 in so cal. I have pulled some from both zones. But the ones from D-16 don't taste as gamey. It has to do with the diffrent food they are eating. Hopefully I get drawn for southern utah this year.....

Last edited by JK jeepin; 05-11-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:18 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by JK jeepin
I hunt Zones D-14,and D-16 in so cal. I have pulled some from both zones. But the ones from D-16 don't taste as gamey. It has to do with the diffrent food they are eating. Hopefully I get drawn for southern utah this year.....
So you hunt was down south. That's understandable given where you live. I hunted X-8 way back then, and from what I gather it's real hard now to draw one of those tags now. I couldn't imagine hunting in that hot country where you do. As you would imagine 10,000 ft elevation in X-8 was a dream to hunt. Just gorgeous country.

I also hunted in UT. when I was a kid. You didn't have to draw back then, and even for out-of-staters, you could just get an over the counter tag. We hunted out of Beaver City. We all got out deer. I got a small 4 pointer on the 3rd day, but one of the old guys got a massive 4x4 that took 3rd place in the Vegas tournament. It was 42" wide and about 350 lbs on the hoof. Me and another kid had to go help pull it down out of the hills. I never saw so many big bucks before. I walked up on a big non-typical that had been dragged down to the trail. I counted 17 points on one side and 21 on the other. Needless to say, for a kid, I had a total blast.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:06 PM
JK Freak

So you hunt was down south. That's understandable given where you live. I hunted X-8 way back then, and from what I gather it's real hard now to draw one of those tags now. I couldn't imagine hunting in that hot country where you do. As you would imagine 10,000 ft elevation in X-8 was a dream to hunt. Just gorgeous country.

I also hunted in UT. when I was a kid. You didn't have to draw back then, and even for out-of-staters, you could just get an over the counter tag. We hunted out of Beaver City. We all got out deer. I got a small 4 pointer on the 3rd day, but one of the old guys got a massive 4x4 that took 3rd place in the Vegas tournament. It was 42" wide and about 350 lbs on the hoof. Me and another kid had to go help pull it down out of the hills. I never saw so many big bucks before. I walked up on a big non-typical that had been dragged down to the trail. I counted 17 points on one side and 21 on the other. Needless to say, for a kid, I had a total blast.
Yea,..... back in the good old days everything seemed better
Old 05-25-2011, 01:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Soak it in milk overnight, rinse it off and pat it dry. From there it's just light seasoning and not too much heat.

I soaked some venison steaks in milk overnight and served it to my in-laws. He didn't believe me when I told him it was venison, he kept insisting it was beef. This from someone who always has a freezer with elk, venison and antelope.

More importantly, don't over cook it. People tend to think because it's 'wild game' they have to cook the bejeebus out of it. There is no reason to cook it beyond medium, medium rare is better. Because of the low fat content it can dry out very quickly, leaving you with shoe leather.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1/4 Red Wine Vinegar
1/2 cup Oil
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
Salt
Black pepper
3 12 oz. bottles of beer.

Mix together Oil, mustard, salt and pepper with fork. Baste onto roast. Grill on rotisorie until done. Open beer and drink as needed.
Great on steaks and chops too. Even great on Chicken.

Last edited by THUNDERBOLT; 05-25-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:21 PM
JK Freak

tenderloin
1)slice thinly bread in seafood breader fry in the skillet
2)cut into chunks marinate in italian dressing put on skewer with potatoes and green peppers then grill
3)slice very thinly soak in lime juice and dehydrate for awesome jerky(be sure to freeze meat for 30 days prior)

everything, but tenderloin should be cut with beef fat and made into sausage and burger
Old 05-25-2011, 05:30 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by 08JKRHD
everything, but tenderloin should be cut with beef fat and made into sausage and burger
not hardly......
Old 05-25-2011, 07:59 PM
JK Freak

not hardly......
yeah, and then you can make tasty stuff from that sausage and burger. I love deer tacos I guess some places you can't really load up on deer meat, but I have plenty here
Old 05-25-2011, 08:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryanc
Just picked up 60 lbs of venison, looking to cook a 2lb venison round today. Any recipes out there you all like?
throw it all out and go buy some cow!!!!

Quick Reply: venison recipes