Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Manhattan NY "fun things to do" suggestions?

Old 09-05-2008, 05:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by guinness
The intrepid wont be back for a few weeks at least. Skip coney island now that the summer is over. Empire state is a good choice as well as any of the museums. As far as the WTC site you can view it from the financial buildings on the west side. Ive never seen a tour available that takes you on site but it may be possible.

Personal reccomendations would be pubs(if training allows) and food. NYC is pretty much the center of the universe when it comes to drinkin and eatin.
Well I'll be with an old lady and a much younger lady and I'm married so I might have to hit some pubs on my own
Old 09-05-2008, 07:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Museums are a good thing to do, but can be a bit crowded depending on when you go. Food and drink are definately the best in NYC. There are so many great places to choose from you can't really go wrong. If you let me know what area you are staying in I can give you some recommendations. As for north of 96th it is not as bad as some people think. There is a great BBQ joint at 130th, with plenty of good beers on tap. As with anywhere in the city be aware of what is around you. I would avoid Times Square - if you have seen it on tv, you have seen it. New York is a great city and you will have a good time when you are not in training. If you do happen to get bored while you are here, PM me - I am always up for a drink with a fellow jeep owner.

Last edited by RDY4RKS; 09-05-2008 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RDY4RKS
Museums are a good thing to do, but can be a bit crowded depending on when you go. Food and drink are definately the best in NYC. There are so many great places to choose from you can't really go wrong. If you let me know what area you are staying in I can give you some recommendations. As for north of 96th it is not as bad as some people think. There is a great BBQ joint at 130th, with plenty of good beers on tap. As with anywhere in the city be aware of what is around you. I would avoid Times Square - if you have seen it on tv, you have seen it. New York is a great city and you will have a good time when you are not in training. If you do happen to get bored while you are here, PM me - I am always up for a drink with a fellow jeep owner.
Well thanks for the offer that would be cool, one evening I'm going solo to have some drinks somewhere downtown. Are you close in the area, I won't have a rental, was told it's crazy to and just take a taxi. My training is like 4 - 5 blocks from our hotel so I'm going to try and get around via subway and taxis, etc.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SASQUATCH
Well thanks for the offer that would be cool, one evening I'm going solo to have some drinks somewhere downtown. Are you close in the area, I won't have a rental, was told it's crazy to and just take a taxi. My training is like 4 - 5 blocks from our hotel so I'm going to try and get around via subway and taxis, etc.
Let me know what night you are going solo. There are a lot of great places to get a drink and a bite downtown. Yeah, you definitely will not want a car in the city. Taxi and subways are the way to go. Also, if you are only 4 or 5 blocks away from your training you can walk to and from that.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default definately hit times square

If you haven't been to the city for a while go to times square. But do not keep your wallet in back pocket. Front left is my suggestion.Empire state building is always nice. Ellis island is a waste. If you want to see statue of libert take a free ride on the Staten Island ferry and sit on the back. When you go to wtc just look at it from Trinity place no fees just a big hole. If you really want to see the wtc the Police Museum has a nice display its in walking distance from the site. And since your downtown you can see Wall street. There is also a fire museum that has a tribute to the firefighters lost.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by amff27
If you haven't been to the city for a while go to times square. But do not keep your wallet in back pocket. Front left is my suggestion.Empire state building is always nice. Ellis island is a waste. If you want to see statue of libert take a free ride on the Staten Island ferry and sit on the back. When you go to wtc just look at it from Trinity place no fees just a big hole. If you really want to see the wtc the Police Museum has a nice display its in walking distance from the site. And since your downtown you can see Wall street. There is also a fire museum that has a tribute to the firefighters lost.
Thanks AMF, appreciate the advice
Old 09-11-2008, 11:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default out of line

But watch "Cloverfield"
Ive been drinking...........How the trusses working for you?
Old 09-12-2008, 04:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by HUNTER
But watch "Cloverfield"
Ive been drinking...........How the trusses working for you?
@Cloverfield...everyone hated that movie...I liked it though, it was like the old black & white monster movies as a kid I loved where they took a pet iguana and filmed it then imposed real life actors in front ...Cloverfield was a nuked out surviving flea from Bikini Island's WW-II nuclear testing days

The custom D44 trussing along with the ORE C2 axle gussets make for a pretty beefed up combo. When I go from these 35x12.50 to 37x14.50 NMGs along with regearing and c-moly Superior inner/outer shafts, etc ...it'll really be a tough axle
Old 09-12-2008, 11:32 AM
JK Newbie

Default Empire State building

Don't bother overcrowded got to Rockefeller Center and go to "Top of the Rock" a lot cleaner and a little less crowded.

Quick Reply: Manhattan NY "fun things to do" suggestions?