Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Philly area - any easy starter trails for a newbie?

Old 09-03-2010, 02:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Philly area - any easy starter trails for a newbie?

I've heard of Rausch Creek, not sure I'm up to that yet. Looking for basic dirt roads or something a little more difficult that I can start to get my feet wet in. Safe to assume I have no off-road experience unless you count taking a mini-van to French Creek State Park.

My Jeeps my daily driver so I can't break anything (yet).
Old 09-03-2010, 05:02 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bcrouse
There are many trails at Rausch Creek that vary in difficulty. Youd be perfectly safe on Green trails if you just want to get your feets wet
Yeah..what bcrouse said. You'll get frustrated looking for a spot to wheel locally (that's legal) unless you know someone with some land that's willing to let you ride. Dirt roads? Well there are few in and around Chester County (off of Horseshoe Trail Road and St. Matthews Road) that I'll occasionally take to work to escape the roads everyone else travels on (especially when it snows ). But when you're ready...Rausch Creek is a great park with all levels of trails. I'm right up the road from you in North Coventry and head to RC a few times a year.

I've heard there are some pretty nasty minivan trails in French Creek so I would consider yourself a seasoned off-roader
Old 09-03-2010, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks. I just ran through a bunch of youtube videos showing some of the greens. Looks pretty good. I'll have to see if I can participate in one of the guided rides.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HG07JKRubi
Yeah..what bcrouse said. You'll get frustrated looking for a spot to wheel locally (that's legal) unless you know someone with some land that's willing to let you ride. Dirt roads? Well there are few in and around Chester County (off of Horseshoe Trail Road and St. Matthews Road) that I'll occasionally take to work to escape the roads everyone else travels on (especially when it snows ). But when you're ready...Rausch Creek is a great park with all levels of trails. I'm right up the road from you in North Coventry and head to RC a few times a year.

I've heard there are some pretty nasty minivan trails in French Creek so I would consider yourself a seasoned off-roader
I work down in Exton, so having some "creative" options for getting down there in bad weather could be fun. No excuse now to stay home in the snow and dial in. A couple of the group tenting sites at French Creek are fun to get back into. We have a group of cub scouts that go up there each year and my job is to mark "oil pan rock" to help the newcomers avoid finding it the hard way. And yet they still do
Old 09-03-2010, 05:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Re: Philly area - any easy starter trails for a newbie?

There's a bunch of us that go to RC on a regular basis, and there are plenty of trails ok for a stock jeep and a beginner. We ran a bunch of them with stock jeeps

Sent from my Droid
Old 09-03-2010, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Re: Philly area - any easy starter trails for a newbie?

I work in Exton, look for my Red Rock on 100 south from Ludwigs Corner and around Winners Circle.

October 9th is Trailfest at RC check it out on their site. Looks like a good beginners day.

Mines my daily and I took it up twice bone stock and did a bit more than greens with no damage.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Old 09-03-2010, 07:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

if you dont mind a short drive over to NJ im leading a good nubie run in october.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...rens-Nubie-run
Old 09-04-2010, 08:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Look for the guide rides at RC on their site. Mike (M2) from RC does green only rides for stock vehicles usually every other month or so. He is a great guide and will help you through any obstacle you would come to.

Also keep a look out for a green / blue family ride listed here. We usually have a few of them during the year. Stock JK's can do more than you think.

I work in Exton near the Lowe's on 30. Hope to see ya around.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the good info on RC. Just got back from a family drive with the wife and 2 of the 4 kids. Mostly back roads in Chester County.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DtownJK
Also keep a look out for a green / blue family ride listed here. We usually have a few of them during the year. Stock JK's can do more than you think.
What, you tempting me??? The Family Rides are good for starters. Those of us who have kids know they like to get out and stomp around in the mud instead of just watching it fly up on the windows. I'll have to check my schedule for setting up one.

Quick Reply: Philly area - any easy starter trails for a newbie?