Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Place to go wheelin' in NC?

Old 07-01-2013, 04:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Place to go wheelin' in NC?

The wife and I will be at Carolina Beach (Near Wilmington) the first week of August. Is there any places to go wheelin' with in 2 hours of there? The JK is the wife's and set up for what I would consider light trail duty as it only really sees some backwoods trails here in Indiana, so the place would have to have some light to moderate trails, nothing extreme.

Any ideas?
Old 07-01-2013, 08:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here is a bump for you. Only place I know of is Uwharrie, but it is about 3hrs from Wilmington. Maybe one of the guys down that way will chime in.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:40 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks, I will check it out, but closer would be better so it won't be such a long day.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:26 PM
JK Freak

Obviously Ft. Fisher, but I assume you knew that. Carolina Backwoods is on the other side of 17 from Calabash probably an hour or so from Wilmington.

Lots of sand and mud around there.

Last edited by JohnnyQuik; 07-01-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:18 PM
JK Newbie

Carolina Backwoods said they are not open to the public for pay per day trail riding. We have stayed at Carolina Beach a couple times in the past and enjoy driving on the beach in Freeman Park (I think that's what it's called), just sand though. I assume Ft. Fisher would be about the same. We have some property here in Indiana that has about a mile worth of light trails, but I want to go somewhere for the day with several hours of trail riding.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:44 PM
JK Newbie

Definitely worth making the trip to Uwharrie. Trails of all difficulty levels.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Which way are you coming down? I'm assuming you'll be coming across 40 and Uwharrie is actually not far out of the way at all. I40 takes you right to Wilmington. You can head south on I85 or 421 from Greensboro and hit Uwharrie then go right on over to the beach.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:57 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ProtonVX
Carolina Backwoods said they are not open to the public for pay per day trail riding. We have stayed at Carolina Beach a couple times in the past and enjoy driving on the beach in Freeman Park (I think that's what it's called), just sand though. I assume Ft. Fisher would be about the same. We have some property here in Indiana that has about a mile worth of light trails, but I want to go somewhere for the day with several hours of trail riding.
Fort Fisher is beach driving, but you might like that end better. It's a whole lot bigger than Freeman Park.

Uwharrie is pretty much on the way there or the way back for you. It's located in some small mountains and has dirt, rocks, and a little mud. It's really dusty when dry and very slippery when wet. Daniel is fairly challenging with the rest of the trails being pretty easy with a few tougher spots here and there.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:41 AM
JK Newbie

I haven't looked at the map to see exactly what roads we are taking, but I am sure we could make a little detour if it means I can ride some trails. We will most definitely check out FT. Fisher. I get bored easy and the beach doesn't really do much for me, so I was hoping to hit some trails for a few hours on one of the days. Thanks everyone so far for the help!

Quick Reply: Place to go wheelin' in NC?