Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Uwharrie Trail Difficulty???

Old 04-14-2016, 03:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by scooby snacks
Yes, there are lots of trails you can 'simply' drive on with no concerns for damage or getting stuck. Even on some of the moderate trails there are ways for you to by-pass. I see lot's of stock Jeeps on the trail.
Thanks, greatly appreciate it!
Old 04-14-2016, 04:01 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check out this thread from this weekend, which is full of pictures and such. Also a link to our FB page with some video, including an FJ snapping his CV on the first ledge on Daniel:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-t...2016-a-332754/

The harder trails will provide you lots of opportunity to roll, break, and scrape. Opening weekend, two weeks ago, there were 4 roll overs. This past weekend during our event, random breakage. (none from our group thankfully) Can you navigate the harder trails with a mildly equipped jeep, or even stock if you are a good driver? Sure you can. But you need to ask yourself what bits of your jeep you're willing to leave on the trail because a stock jeep is going to beat and bang it's way up those trails. Well equipped vehicles break and come home with damage all the time off those trails. Pick the wrong line, have an inexperienced spotter, or try it by yourself and you're going to have a bad day. Heavy foot? Roll or break an axle maybe. Rain or wet conditions? Wolfs Den and Falls Dam become incredibly difficult to pass, if at all depending on how slick it is. Body damage is highly likely because of sliding around into trees and rocks off those innocent looking hills.

The only reason I even posted back up is because I don't want your advanced experience in Uwharrie to be a bad one. Get with a group like ours or another club in your area and come ride the trails with them. Learn the lines, know you'll have a good spotter, and don't be afraid to pull line. DO NOT even think about the harder trails by yourself. Safety should ALWAYS be your first concern. Be safe brother.

On that note, the harder trails are perfectly safe and loads of fun as long as you go with a trail buddy and have an experience spotter. If I ever have a shadow of a doubt, I get a spot. I'm not proud, and you live to wheel another day. Link up with someone that has common sense and has been up those trails before, and you'll be fine. 2.5" of lift is plenty to clear your under carriage. One of the ladies in our group did Daniel Saturday in a stock JK with 35" tires. No worries. You just have to pick your lines. You can ride with us anytime.

Last edited by tarpon4me; 04-14-2016 at 04:06 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tarpon4me
One of the ladies in our group did Daniel Saturday in a stock JK with 35" tires. No worries. You just have to pick your lines.
Unless she added bump stops to her Jeep I can't Imagine the sounds coming from her Jeep when it flexed or when she would have to bump something. I can't Imagine Doing Daniel Open/Open she must have had a lot of patience and a good spotter. Honestly I would not have enjoyed it without lockers Wheeling should be full of fun not frustration.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Ran all the D's today. Didn't have any trouble with Daniel or the others. Great traction today but a bit dusty.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't always ride uwharrie bit when I do, I prefer it slightly to moderately slick.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:54 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Heres a portion of what Jeep Jamboree USA has to say about Uwharrie.

The Dirty D's!

Trail Rating: 7-8 (Uwharrie National Forest)
These are the most difficult public off road trails in the state of North Carolina. When you look up Uwharrie National forest on YouTube you will find dozens of videos of obstacles on these trails.

(One locker and 33 inch tires with a couple of inches of lift are a minimum
requirement for this trail)

^^^
I would say this is a little high for difficulty more like a 6. If you add rain I can see that being accurate.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
Heres a portion of what Jeep Jamboree USA has to say about Uwharrie.

The Dirty D's!

Trail Rating: 7-8 (Uwharrie National Forest)
These are the most difficult public off road trails in the state of North Carolina. When you look up Uwharrie National forest on YouTube you will find dozens of videos of obstacles on these trails.

(One locker and 33 inch tires with a couple of inches of lift are a minimum
requirement for this trail)

^^^
I would say this is a little high for difficulty more like a 6. If you add rain I can see that being accurate.

Yup, I think that's a bit high.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Heading out to URE tomorrow with my 2dr on 33's as well as my brother's 03 Rubi on 35's......and his friend's 04 Rubi on 33's.

Hoping to be on the trails by 9-10 and wheel all day then camp out.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Heading out to URE tomorrow with my 2dr on 33's as well as my brother's 03 Rubi on 35's......and his friend's 04 Rubi on 33's.

Hoping to be on the trails by 9-10 and wheel all day then camp out.
Dang it! Mine's in my garage in pieces...
Old 06-24-2016, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Mine was too- replacing a TOB and I had no intention of going but then it all went back together relatively alright and the noise stopped. What better way to test it out then on a trail 24 hours after assembly??

I'll be ready for obx any time this summer....provided this bearing stays together.

Quick Reply: Uwharrie Trail Difficulty???