Notices
European Countries If you live in Europe and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Bestop Supertop NX

Old 08-15-2011, 05:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(Continued from above)

Below it is completely rolled up and secured with bungee cords.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1370.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	196836

Below is a shot of the end.

Name:	IMG_1371.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	196837

Here it is stowed by the rear seat.

Name:	IMG_1372.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	196838

And here is a shot with my hand in it to give you a sense of how big the roll is with the windows in it.

Name:	IMG_1373.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	196839

I did this on my phone because that is where the pictures are. I may need to adjust things once I look at it on a computer.

Is this clearer?
Any questions?
Old 08-15-2011, 10:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAustin

You can do what I (and others) have done: buy the Mopar OEM tailgate bar and two retaining clips (left and right)...

Alternatively, you can find an old / used OEM soft top, and pull the parts from it ...
Thanks for that, off to my local dealer with part numbers in hand. The chance of finding an old / used OEM soft top here in the UK is like looking for "hens teeth". We don't have the number of Wranglers, let alone JKs, running around as in the USA. Did 250 miles this weekend and spotted 1 JK.

Currently the only way my wife will use the tail gate bar is by sending one of our boys under it, which is fine at the moment as it's all fun. But this won't last once they are back to school. So if the OEM hardware means she can open the window, with out calling me to come and do it, then this has to be the way to go. :-)

Originally Posted by bstpierre

Is this clearer?
Any questions?
Much, pictures help lots, just wish my mum was still about, she would have sown this up in a flash.

Well not to be, so I will have to try myself.

Great idea and thanks for confirming the roll on the side windows.

Looks as if I am fabric shopping at the weekend, not sure I ever thought I would say that.

Again big thanks to you both for the pictures and advise, just proves how good the forum is for support etc.

Last edited by Ntgas; 08-15-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:27 AM
JK Freak

Instead of sewing you might be able to run a bead of fabric adhesive.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default I bought last monday

I bought my supertop nx with quadratec last monday, do u know how much i have to wait? Im very happy with this purchase, but i have a doubt, can i fold down my softtop and put on the hard top on winter without uninstall the softop?
Old 08-17-2011, 11:02 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by yayomtz
I bought my supertop nx with quadratec last monday, do u know how much i have to wait? Im very happy with this purchase, but i have a doubt, can i fold down my softtop and put on the hard top on winter without uninstall the softop?
If the Supertop is just like the factory top, the answer is no.

I love the soft top in the summer but I really like that it is out of the way in the winter with the hard top on. Nothing better than opening the glass and having a clear shot into the back with nothing in the way.

They do ship the Jeeps with the dual top options with both tops installed but they say not to drive that way, remove as soon as possible. If you wanted to try it you probably could get away with it if you tie up the fabric really good and compact. But I guarantee that soft top would be in your way all winter long. Uninstalling the factory top involves undoing four screws (bows to brackets), I am planning on not removing the bow brackets this year. Then lift it off and stow it. Remove the rear window cross bow and brackets (this part will be different for you from what I have read) and you are done.

You would have to stow the zip out windows and door surrounds somewhere, too.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yayomtz
can i fold down my softtop and put on the hard top on winter without uninstall the softop?
Answer would be NO, you need to remove the door surrounds that come with the Supertop NX to get the hard top on.

You would then have a lot of folded fabric/frame blocking the tailgate, so you would not be able to use the rear for anything.

The Supertop NX comes with some quick release bow connectors, so removing the folded frame and fabric will only take you seconds to lift it out, once the top is folded down.

Chance of damaging the fabric/frame would be too great IMO to leave it in.

Anyway gives you a good reason to build some form of winter storage, going to look at hanging mine in the garage some how, maybe using the hardtop hoist
Old 08-17-2011, 09:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ntgas
... going to look at hanging mine in the garage some how, maybe using the hardtop hoist
That's what I do with my softtop. I remove it when it gets too cold to drive with it down, lower the hardtop in place from the garage hoist, and then put the softtop into the hoist.

I notice from your pics that you have hooks at the ends of your hoist ropes to hold the hardtop. I designed mine with rope loops that pass completely under the hardtop, with carabiners in the middle of each loop, to disconnect once the hardtop is lowered into place. It's pretty easy to rest the softtop in these loops, crank it to the ceiling, and then lay the mounting hardware (door surrounds) across the top.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:32 PM
JK Newbie

Default Top arch(es)?

Just curious if any of you with a Supertop (or Trektop) NX are running it without the top arches. According to what I've read, their only purpose is to keep the top convex, to avoid water puddling or snow accumulation.

I'd just as soon leave them out (unless rain is in the forecast), to reduce obstructions to the view. (I live in central Texas, so snow really isn't a concern, and -- unfortunately -- neither is rain, going on several months now.)
Old 08-17-2011, 10:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not actually run without them, but the top does not appear to "rest" on them in normal driving.

Raining hard today and forecast for the next couple of days, but when I get the chance I will take them out and let you know.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ntgas
Raining hard today and forecast for the next couple of days, but when I get the chance I will take them out and let you know.
I appreciate it! (And we're jealous of your rain!)

Quick Reply: Bestop Supertop NX