Notices
European Countries If you live in Europe and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

EU Version "What was done to your JK this MONTH??"

Old 11-02-2009, 10:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Vince! The SC is amazing! It doesn't half add some oomph so to speak! We'll probably see you in CH next on one of our trips or Easter Jeep Safari. Mind you it's a bit of a toss-up between EJS and skiing.... or we'll ski in CO.

Off to the Mille Rivieres on Thursday...
Old 11-04-2009, 12:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

i didnt really like the factory running boards, so i did away with those and went with some side panels. nothing special but i like em'

Old 11-08-2009, 02:43 PM
JK Newbie

I mount my Hard Top this weekend and storage the soft top for the next summer and in the next time the winter tyres come on too
Old 11-13-2009, 05:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Installed a Parrot Bluetooth hand free kit, put the wilderness basket on the back again for the ski season and played with the DRL’s with my new AVE module.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Latest thing I've done is to fit some different towing eyes to my AEV front bumper. I was never very happy about fitting the plastic caps to the bumper which on the US model covers the crush cans. We dont get the crush can and the cap really reduces the approach angle. I therefore left them off......

The AEV tow eyes are low down under the bumper. I've banged them off rocks a couple of times as they again affect the approach angle. It also means that if you stuff the front end into a hole/ditch or even deep mud etc its very difficult to attach a recovery line.......

I recently saw a thread on another board about a new cast ally bumper which looks very interesting and on it was mounted some bolt on eyes. Ordered a set and fitted them this week.......

Only work required was to drill the mounting hoes from 7/16 to 1/2" and replace one of the mounting bolts with a longer one. I gave them a coat of etch primer and then matt black. There are a lot of bolt on options for the front of a JK and I reckon any would work in conjunction with an AEV front bumper.

The supplier who was first rate.... Aberle off road (don't think I'm allowed to post a link)

Nick
Old 01-14-2010, 08:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks great Nick! much better than the plastic things

Just wondering if your still liking the AEV suspension... I remember you changed the springs out for OME ones but have you changed anything else? driveshafts, control arms etc.
I think I might get ordering some stuff so just wondering if there is anything you would recommend changing?

Cheers
Dom
Old 01-15-2010, 02:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scotlandjk
looks great Nick! much better than the plastic things

Just wondering if your still liking the AEV suspension... I remember you changed the springs out for OME ones but have you changed anything else? driveshafts, control arms etc.
I think I might get ordering some stuff so just wondering if there is anything you would recommend changing?

Cheers
Dom
Hi Dom.

I've got to say I'm absolutely loving it! (The whole Jeep and the AEV kit)

Yep, I did swap the springs. I've ended up with the standard OME +2"(615) front with 3/4" spacers and standard OME +2" (617) rears. This gives a lower ride height and a tad softer ride but still has very little body roll. I only run 33.25 tyres most of the time, 35 occasionally so don't want the vehicle too high.

I also changed the front lower and the rear upper arms (Clayton) I went this way because its the way Jeep had notched the axle brackets for cam bolts, front lower/rear upper. At the time 'forum wisdom' said front lowers was the way to go. About 5 mins after I fitted them everyone and there dog started to say shorter front uppers were best. Who knows, all I can say its it works dam well. On a 2dr its imperative to do something with the rear axle pinion angle. The prop CV joint is at a most unhealthy angle! The downside to resolving this was spring bow and I ended up cutting the spring perches off the axle and rewelding them at the correct angle. Everything is now correctly aligned and nothing hits, rubs or rattles. My understanding is on the rear of a 4dr you would be better with the uppers. (Adam at Clayton was very helpful and knowledgeable) A good mate is in the process of ordering the AEV kit for a 4dr. I may be lucky enough to get involved with its fitment so should know more on that soon.

Other stuff........

The front brake hoses really need replacing, the rear extension brackets work ok but the front is a bit of a lash up and I replaced them with some Crown ones.

Front prop on my car was limiting the shock travel and therefore the suspension drop. It was actually causing the CV joint to bind! It also was grinding on the exhaust and hitting the transmission sump. I fitted a Tom Wood shaft. This even with the smaller diameter shaft just rubs the side of the auto box sump, it has put a tiny rubmark on the prop but has not even polished the paint off yet. You have a different trans and exhaust so not sure of the clearance you have. Again I should know soonish. I have no driveline vibration.

ARB diff guards fitted well with the kit, no clearance issues.

N/S/F antiroll bar just rubbed against the tubular x-member that protrudes through the front chassis rail......had to do a bit of grinding to reduce the protrusion. It also just clips the N/S/F spring mounting and again I had to do a small amount of grinding. I'm very pedantic about rattles, these were the only 2 things I have found in 2000 miles and 6-7 full days off roading.

Nick

Last edited by nick p; 01-16-2010 at 11:18 AM. Reason: spelin
Old 01-16-2010, 07:45 AM
JK Freak

Thanks Nick, let us know how the 4dr Jk works out.

I will hopefully be ordering stuff this month if all goes well.

One more thing, where about are you ordering your 35" tyres from? Are they 35.12.5r17?

EDIT: I just phoned BF Goodrich and they said to expect the 35x12.5r17 tyre within 6 months but it has to pass the "s" mark (noise level) test first.
Also another option I am considering are the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's which are available at the end of this month in a 315/70r17 which is near enough a 35x12.5. These might be a better option as they are marked as a winter tyre and are better on ice/compact snow.

Dom

Last edited by scotlandjk; 01-18-2010 at 06:03 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not sure if its of interest but Toyo have some 35/12.50 x 18 MT's kicking around at present on very, very good terms. I'll post some pics tomorrow if I get chance they are huge in comparison with the 35 BFG
Nick
Old 01-27-2010, 12:57 AM
JK Freak

Yeh Toyo's were an option but after seeing how much heavier they were compared to the KM2's I decided against them, especially because I only have a D30 upfront.

Quick Reply: EU Version "What was done to your JK this MONTH??"