JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   European Countries (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/european-countries-60/)
-   -   Has anyone chipped or boosted their CRD? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/european-countries-60/has-anyone-chipped-boosted-their-crd-153707/)

snowibex 12-03-2010 02:37 AM

Has anyone chipped or boosted their CRD?

Have any of you in the UK or Europe had any experience of chip upgrades or other diesel tuning for their CRD JK?

I'm considering a booster box from either Tunit or Steinbauer, but before I take the plunge it would be nice to get some real-world experience.

I'm not averse to having more elaborate stuff done - bigger intercooler, free-flow exhaust or even turbo/internal mods if it's of real benefit. What I don't want is to be the first to do it and have to iron out problems! I've had enough of that on previous projects:sad2:

So, any advice gratefully received:yup:

Giles

scotlandjk 12-06-2010 02:10 PM

Doesn't look like many people are running them over here. My dealer recommended the spider diesel chip but didn't ask why he chose that one specifically. As usual I would recommend going to the aussie jeep forum as they have many more CRD's than over here.

Dom

wrangler07 12-06-2010 02:53 PM

Martin Shaw-Frost has the Tunit chip and I'm soon going the same route. I think he only uses it for off-road but he's pretty happy with it. Drop him a note. Here's his member ID at j33p.org:

http://j33p.org/_club/rides_view.cfm?ride_id=87

Odin 12-27-2010 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by snowibex (Post 1964757)
Have any of you in the UK or Europe had any experience of chip upgrades or other diesel tuning for their CRD JK?

I'm considering a booster box from either Tunit or Steinbauer, but before I take the plunge it would be nice to get some real-world experience.

I'm not averse to having more elaborate stuff done - bigger intercooler, free-flow exhaust or even turbo/internal mods if it's of real benefit. What I don't want is to be the first to do it and have to iron out problems! I've had enough of that on previous projects:sad2:

So, any advice gratefully received:yup:

Giles

OOOOhhh YES I have!! Had it remapped by a company in Norway (no box shit!) and it now produces 540Nm/215PS instead of 460NM/177ps stock. BIG difference in everything, esp. throttle response and the TORQUE overtaking in top gear!!!

The funny thing is that fuel consumption dropped from 1,15litres/10km (hgw brand new approx 21mpg) to 0,85 litres/10km (approx 28mpg) after tuning.

snowibex 01-07-2011 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Odin (Post 2003066)
OOOOhhh YES I have!! Had it remapped by a company in Norway (no box shit!) and it now produces 540Nm/215PS instead of 460NM/177ps stock. BIG difference in everything, esp. throttle response and the TORQUE overtaking in top gear!!!

The funny thing is that fuel consumption dropped from 1,15litres/10km (hgw brand new approx 21mpg) to 0,85 litres/10km (approx 28mpg) after tuning.

Hi Odin,

I am very interested in your re-map!

Do you have any details of the company that did the work please?

It all sounds good - how long ago did you have it done and have there been any negative issues?

Thanks,

Giles

scotlandjk 01-08-2011 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by snowibex (Post 2021023)
Hi Odin,

It all sounds good - how long ago did you have it done and have there been any negative issues?

Thanks,

Giles

x2 :wink::thumbsup:

Odin 03-02-2011 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by snowibex (Post 2021023)
Hi Odin,

Thanks,

Giles

Hello again. These guys did it for me, but their site is in norwegian:http://www.tsracing.no/index.htm

Did it the same week I got the Jeep. No negative issues so far. Almost a year since I had it done. They re-programmed the software for the ECU, non-visible to the authorities.

Fuel consumption fell by 10-15% immediately, and power is great. Like a freight train with 538nm of torque (up from 460nm). Power up from 177PS to 215ps. All good! VERY GOOD!

wrangler07 03-02-2011 12:31 AM

From my research the Tunit chip will do the same thing as the remap, covering all the same parameters and delivering the same figures but is also removable.

Odin 03-02-2011 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by wrangler07 (Post 2132675)
From my research the Tunit chip will do the same thing as the remap, covering all the same parameters and delivering the same figures but is also removable.

My local shop will also reset it to stock if needed, at no cost.
Price 7000NOk-approx 850 euros.

scotlandjk 03-25-2011 04:44 AM

does anyone have experience of the spider chip?

h**p://www.dieseltuning.co.uk/jeep-diesel-tuning.html

wrangler07 05-18-2011 01:46 PM

Well, mine is having the Tunit Chip installed on Monday! Stay tuned, will report back! :rock:

wrangler07 05-23-2011 02:05 PM

OK, all installed, tuned and tested. Stats:

BHP up from 177 to 203
Torque up from 302 lbs/ft to 332

The result in practice? Woah! Finally the CRD feels like I wanted it to from the start. The Tunit doesn't have a setting (it has 9 in all) that turns the JK into a monster but it just makes the engine sparkle nicely. Torque is well up and the power is delivered very nicely through the entire range of gears with 6th now feeling as responsive as 5th did prior to install. A slightly heavy foot on a right turn in second got the wheels spinning and got rid of the turn a wee bit quicker than normal. :crazyeyes: The CRD pulls like a tank before the torque increase but now it's seriously nuts! Overall I'm really pleased with it's on road performance and a little better fuel economy can't hurt, either. Will be fun to see how she goes off road. :ya:

scotlandjk 05-23-2011 11:29 PM

Sounds great! Keep us updated on the sort of milage increase, if any, you get. How was the install? Did you just get it off the website?

Think all my parts should be arriving today!

wrangler07 05-23-2011 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by scotlandjk (Post 2308489)
Sounds great! Keep us updated on the sort of milage increase, if any, you get. How was the install? Did you just get it off the website?

I had mine done at Surrey Offroad. That said, the install took just minutes. You take the main little box and attach it to the side of the engine bay. Plug it into the relevant socket and you're done. After that you just need to tidy up with some plastic ties. There are 9 settings on the box which you adjust using a small screwdriver. You'll want it straight on 9 for best effect but you can play around with the other settings if you want to get a feel for what they do. Really, the setup couldn't be simpler so you should be good to go within an hour. It's worth finding some good windy roads with some hills and also a stretch of motorway for testing. It takes a while before you truly appreciate what's happening but you will. Let us know how you get on!

RLT 05-24-2011 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by wrangler07 (Post 2308490)
I had mine done at Surrey Offroad. That said, the install took just minutes. You take the main little box and attach it to the side of the engine bay. Plug it into the relevant socket and you're done. After that you just need to tidy up with some plastic ties. There are 9 settings on the box which you adjust using a small screwdriver. You'll want it straight on 9 for best effect but you can play around with the other settings if you want to get a feel for what they do. Really, the setup couldn't be simpler so you should be good to go within an hour. It's worth finding some good windy roads with some hills and also a stretch of motorway for testing. It takes a while before you truly appreciate what's happening but you will. Let us know how you get on!

Yeah do some more testing and report back please.
I'll be interested in that for sure.
Also whats the cost ?

RLT

RLT 05-24-2011 10:42 AM

A performance chip with the AEV lift, the 4.10 and 35's all sounds good to me :D:D:D
Stuff to look forward to in a years time when my warranty runs out.
Soon as you get your stuff installed, require full continuous reports please as to ride etc.
(Also hope that tire carrier install goes smoothly for you.)

RLT

wrangler07 05-24-2011 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by RLT (Post 2309244)
Yeah do some more testing and report back please.
I'll be interested in that for sure.
Also whats the cost ?

RLT

These are one of best out there and aren't cheap. Mine was £516 incl VAT.

The advantage with these is they work in the same way as a re-map, changing all the necessary parameters within the engine for best performance without worry of engine damage. Where they win over the re-map is when you want to return the vehicle to stock for whatever reason you simply unplug it and you're done.

wrangler07 05-25-2011 07:10 AM

Did your's arrive OK?

RLT 05-25-2011 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by wrangler07 (Post 2310840)
These are one of best out there and aren't cheap. Mine was £516 incl VAT.

The advantage with these is they work in the same way as a re-map, changing all the necessary parameters within the engine for best performance without worry of engine damage. Where they win over the re-map is when you want to return the vehicle to stock for whatever reason you simply unplug it and you're done.

Sounds all good. £500 is affordable for better performance.
Report back please with your thoughts once you've given it a good month's try out.
An AEV lift and the chip sounds like an ideal safe combo when my warranty runs out in a year. Just got to make my mind up on rims & tyres by then.

RLT

wrangler07 05-25-2011 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by RLT (Post 2311955)
Sounds all good. £500 is affordable for better performance.
Report back please with your thoughts once you've given it a good month's try out.
An AEV lift and the chip sounds like an ideal safe combo when my warranty runs out in a year. Just got to make my mind up on rims & tyres by then.

RLT

You can chip it before the warranty runs out. If you need to take it in to the dealer just unplug it and remove it. Takes 2 mins! :wink:

scotlandjk 05-26-2011 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by RLT (Post 2309328)
A performance chip with the AEV lift, the 4.10 and 35's all sounds good to me :D:D:D
Stuff to look forward to in a years time when my warranty runs out.
Soon as you get your stuff installed, require full continuous reports please as to ride etc.
(Also hope that tire carrier install goes smoothly for you.)

RLT

Cheers,

Will post a thread soon. Should keep my busy, lots of boxes!!:D

wrangler07 07-31-2011 12:17 AM

OK, had the Tunit for about 2 1/2 months now and here the low down. I keep it on max power (setting 9) all the time. The improvement in torque is great and particularly noticeable in 6th on the motorway where you can just feather the throttle and she'll pick up beautifully, even up steep inclines. Overtaking is now good with better response and quicker acceleration.

MPG has improved slightly, too, basically because I still drive at the same speeds but am not having to be so hard on the gas pedal to achieve those speeds.

All in all it seems like a very worthwhile investment, making the Jeep a lot more fun to driver, safer for overtaking and a bit better economically.

The only niggle has been that occasionally the Jeep's computer doesn't like the extra power boost so a couple of times if I've floored it pulling out onto a highway it has thrown a P00087 fault code and put the engine into limp mode. The way to combat this is to make sure you have a ScanGauge II installed:

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/z...ler_jk/sg1.jpg

These will show you the fault code and allow you to instantly clear it, taking the Jeep back out of limp mode and back to normal whilst still moving. Without it you'd have to pull over, stop the engine and restart, then wait 5 or 6 more restarts for the fault light to clear itself. :crazyeyes:

This only happens very occasionally so it's not a concern to me. So long and short of it is, go get one!! :D

4whelin 07-31-2011 12:26 AM

I want a CRD Jeep here in the US!!!!:tearsdrip:

scotlandjk 07-31-2011 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by wrangler07 (Post 2436969)
OK, had the Tunit for about 2 1/2 months now and here the low down. I keep it on max power (setting 9) all the time. The improvement in torque is great and particularly noticeable in 6th on the motorway where you can just feather the throttle and she'll pick up beautifully, even up steep inclines. Overtaking is now good with better response and quicker acceleration.

MPG has improved slightly, too, basically because I still drive at the same speeds but am not having to be so hard on the gas pedal to achieve those speeds.

All in all it seems like a very worthwhile investment, making the Jeep a lot more fun to driver, safer for overtaking and a bit better economically.

The only niggle has been that occasionally the Jeep's computer doesn't like the extra power boost so a couple of times if I've floored it pulling out onto a highway it has thrown a P00087 fault code and put the engine into limp mode. The way to combat this is to make sure you have a ScanGauge II installed:

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/z...ler_jk/sg1.jpg

These will show you the fault code and allow you to instantly clear it, taking the Jeep back out of limp mode and back to normal whilst still moving. Without it you'd have to pull over, stop the engine and restart, then wait 5 or 6 more restarts for the fault light to clear itself. :crazyeyes:

This only happens very occasionally so it's not a concern to me. So long and short of it is, go get one!! :D

Good to hear. I am saving at the moment.:yawn: I think I will get the scanguage 2 first. Did you get that from the US or from scanguage2.co.uk?

wrangler07 07-31-2011 02:34 PM

I got it from Gendan:

gendan.co.uk/product_SCANGAUGE.html

They're good guys and were pleasant and efficient and the price was good, too.

leolito 08-03-2011 03:13 AM

Wrangler07, how do you find the Scangauge?
I have been thinking to get either this one or the Aeroforce, to monitor some extra parameters in the vehicle. What are the ones you are able to see with your setup?
I think also will get it online where you posted.

About the Tunit: thanks for the report!!!! :thumbsup:
I want to 'boost' my CRD for quite a while now, but here where I am there is no sufficient expertise and I really do not wish to be a tester .... after going 35s I find my Sahara with the 3.73 struggles from time to time. While I wait to jump into a locker and gears, I really think it would be time to ... have more poweeer!
Do you think it is possible for a DIY installation for someone able to connect other devices like a radio and speakers, etc.?
Does your CRD has a DPF?

wrangler07 08-03-2011 04:48 AM

Mate, am on hol at the mo so on my iPhone but yes, am running a DPF. installing the Tunit is a snip so yes, you should have no probs doing it. Check who sells it near to you. Most distributors will install it for you if required.

wrangler07 08-03-2011 04:51 AM

Re. The scangauge, I can call up most of what the JK actually outputs in info so check in the manual or on the net what you can get from the ECU regarding engine info. It's a great little gauge and well worth the bucks. It's also less obtrusive than the others and easier to mount.

leolito 08-08-2011 12:10 PM

Hey thanks! Do not be in a hurry anyway, I will have to get it in the UK or in Italy since here nobody sells it.
Does the scangauge gives you trans temp? That is among my most .... worrisome thoughts :blush:

wrangler07 09-17-2011 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by leolito (Post 2455458)
Hey thanks! Do not be in a hurry anyway, I will have to get it in the UK or in Italy since here nobody sells it.
Does the scangauge gives you trans temp? That is among my most .... worrisome thoughts :blush:

If you mean TFT (Transmission Fluid Temperature) then yes as long as your JK is able to provide that info.

wrangler07 09-17-2011 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Odin (Post 2132677)
My local shop will also reset it to stock if needed, at no cost.
Price 7000NOk-approx 850 euros.

Yes, but then you'll need to re-map it again afterwards. With the Tunit box you just plug it back in. Simples! :cool:

scotlandjk 09-17-2011 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by wrangler07 (Post 2537929)
If you mean TFT (Transmission Fluid Temperature) then yes as long as your JK is able to provide that info.

From what I have gathered people are struggling to get the TFT info on the scanguage. If you have an auto then you can get it with an airforce interceptor gauge but think scanguage are still working on the codes. As far as I am aware 6 speeds don't have a TFT sensor?

wrangler07 09-17-2011 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by scotlandjk (Post 2538137)
From what I have gathered people are struggling to get the TFT info on the scanguage. If you have an auto then you can get it with an airforce interceptor gauge but think scanguage are still working on the codes. As far as I am aware 6 speeds don't have a TFT sensor?

TBH, I've not yet looked, so not sure, mate.

leolito 09-21-2011 01:05 PM

Sorry to bother insisting, but can you elaborate further on Aeroforce getting this function working on their Interceptor gauge? I am ready to pull the trigger on a Tunit + Scangauge combo, and I need to confirm by end of this week to have a work colleague bring them to me in couple of weeks (can't wait! :blush:), but this gives me some doubts ...
I might go with the selected combo anyway and wait for an update ... :)

scotlandjk 09-22-2011 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by leolito (Post 2545938)
Sorry to bother insisting, but can you elaborate further on Aeroforce getting this function working on their Interceptor gauge? I am ready to pull the trigger on a Tunit + Scangauge combo, and I need to confirm by end of this week to have a work colleague bring them to me in couple of weeks (can't wait! :blush:), but this gives me some doubts ...
I might go with the selected combo anyway and wait for an update ... :)

TBH I would have to read up on it as I cannot remember the specifics. If you try on the ausjeep forum they are more familiar with the CRD's and a few have the aeroforce, so would be able to tell you for sure.

Dom

leolito 09-23-2011 11:12 AM

Will check.
In the meantime I ordered the Tunit yesterday .... can't wait! :crazyeyes::clap:

snowibex 09-24-2011 04:32 AM

CRD remap

Hi all,

Thanks for all the input and suggestions since the start of this thread.

After looking at all the options I decided against a "plug-in" box, mostly because of hearing of issues with Tunits putting throwing up engine error codes. This is something I want to avoid, and reinforces my paranoia that "plug-ins" simply increase the fuelling and may not have been developed specifically for the JK.

As it happened I bumped into an old friend from my days of messing with Landrovers and he reminded me of a chap called Jeremy Fern. Jeremy has had an excellent reputation for the last 20 or so years for tuning and latterly re-mapping Landrover diesels. I gave him a call and he had written a program for a 2007 CRD JK last November. He put me in touch with the guy he did it for and he has not had any issues with it since it was done (except doing a 180 spin on a wet roundabout just after:clap:)

So I went to see Jeremy on Friday. Half an hour later he'd finished loading the remap to mine. I've only done about 300 miles since, but I am impressed:ya:

It has removed all the hesitation when you put your foot down, from a rolling start or from a standstill. It holds a higher gear for longer before kicking down, and when it does need to rev to 3500/4000 it now has power all the way rather than before when it just made lots of noise for no apparent increase in speed. Accellerating on the motorway from 70 to 90 is now a pleasure rather than a but-clenching excercise.

I'll feedback on fuel consumption when I've done a few more miles, and also any impact on low-box use. Overall I'd fully recommend Jeremy to anyone.

Cheers,

Giles

scotlandjk 09-24-2011 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by snowibex (Post 2551254)
Hi all,

Thanks for all the input and suggestions since the start of this thread.

After looking at all the options I decided against a "plug-in" box, mostly because of hearing of issues with Tunits putting throwing up engine error codes. This is something I want to avoid, and reinforces my paranoia that "plug-ins" simply increase the fuelling and may not have been developed specifically for the JK.

As it happened I bumped into an old friend from my days of messing with Landrovers and he reminded me of a chap called Jeremy Fern. Jeremy has had an excellent reputation for the last 20 or so years for tuning and latterly re-mapping Landrover diesels. I gave him a call and he had written a program for a 2007 CRD JK last November. He put me in touch with the guy he did it for and he has not had any issues with it since it was done (except doing a 180 spin on a wet roundabout just after:clap:)

So I went to see Jeremy on Friday. Half an hour later he'd finished loading the remap to mine. I've only done about 300 miles since, but I am impressed:ya:

It has removed all the hesitation when you put your foot down, from a rolling start or from a standstill. It holds a higher gear for longer before kicking down, and when it does need to rev to 3500/4000 it now has power all the way rather than before when it just made lots of noise for no apparent increase in speed. Accellerating on the motorway from 70 to 90 is now a pleasure rather than a but-clenching excercise.

I'll feedback on fuel consumption when I've done a few more miles, and also any impact on low-box use. Overall I'd fully recommend Jeremy to anyone.

Cheers,

Giles

Good to hear, especially about the throttle hesitation; I can't stand the 'lag' of the pedal. Do you know if it is for the 6speed aswell? I am out of warranty so it doesn't really matter to me if I can easily take it out. Was it about the same price as a tunit box?

Keep us updated.

Cheers

Dom

snowibex 09-25-2011 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by scotlandjk (Post 2551752)
Good to hear, especially about the throttle hesitation; I can't stand the 'lag' of the pedal. Do you know if it is for the 6speed aswell? I am out of warranty so it doesn't really matter to me if I can easily take it out. Was it about the same price as a tunit box?

Keep us updated.

Cheers

Dom

Hi Dom,

I see no real reason why it would not work for the 6-speed too.

Jeremy downloads the ecu settings from your car to get the tune code your car is running. Mine happened to be the same code as he had previously done so it was a simple matter of re-loading up his modified map. If it had not been the same code (and I imagine an auto might run a different tune code to a manual) then he would have written me a custom map. It would still be done while you wait, but would have taken 2-3 hours rather than the 15 minutes mine took.

I've done a round-trip of just over 200 miles today, even mix of motorway, A and B roads. Just worked out it's averaged 25.6mpg compared to my old average of 21.4mpg. I'll be back to commuting tomorrow, so I'll log the mpg over the next couple of weeks/tanks. I do 350 miles per week usually.

Oh, cost was £450 plus drat (and an afternoon out in the peak district).

Giles

scotlandjk 09-25-2011 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by snowibex (Post 2553250)
Hi Dom,

I see no real reason why it would not work for the 6-speed too.

Jeremy downloads the ecu settings from your car to get the tune code your car is running. Mine happened to be the same code as he had previously done so it was a simple matter of re-loading up his modified map. If it had not been the same code (and I imagine an auto might run a different tune code to a manual) then he would have written me a custom map. It would still be done while you wait, but would have taken 2-3 hours rather than the 15 minutes mine took.

I've done a round-trip of just over 200 miles today, even mix of motorway, A and B roads. Just worked out it's averaged 25.6mpg compared to my old average of 21.4mpg. I'll be back to commuting tomorrow, so I'll log the mpg over the next couple of weeks/tanks. I do 350 miles per week usually.

Oh, cost was £450 plus drat (and an afternoon out in the peak district).

Giles

Cheers for the info.:wink: I am rather busy at the moment but when I get time off, either Xmas or even next summer, I will get something done about it.:yup:

Dominic