JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   European Countries (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/european-countries-60/)
-   -   Has anyone chipped or boosted their CRD? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/european-countries-60/has-anyone-chipped-boosted-their-crd-153707/)

RLT 09-25-2011 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by snowibex (Post 2553250)
Hi Dom,

I see no real reason why it would not work for the 6-speed too.

Jeremy downloads the ecu settings from your car to get the tune code your car is running. Mine happened to be the same code as he had previously done so it was a simple matter of re-loading up his modified map. If it had not been the same code (and I imagine an auto might run a different tune code to a manual) then he would have written me a custom map. It would still be done while you wait, but would have taken 2-3 hours rather than the 15 minutes mine took.

I've done a round-trip of just over 200 miles today, even mix of motorway, A and B roads. Just worked out it's averaged 25.6mpg compared to my old average of 21.4mpg. I'll be back to commuting tomorrow, so I'll log the mpg over the next couple of weeks/tanks. I do 350 miles per week usually.

Oh, cost was £450 plus drat (and an afternoon out in the peak district).

Giles

I could be interested to. Already getting 29 -30 mpg on my stock 6 speed. The extra mpg would help offset the less fuel efficient tyres I my go to next year.

RLT

leolito 10-04-2011 08:08 AM

Tunit and Scangauge have arrived! :clap::ya:
Will try to installa this w-e :)

irishcoffee 10-24-2011 05:18 AM

Tuning & Scangauge

Hya All,

just got through this thread.

1. Chip Tuning Plug & Play (Not ECU flash)
My experience after tunning a JKU Sport with 6speed manual.
I bought with ~600 Euro a chip from MSpeed.de specially designed for the 2,8 CRD Jeep (yes that Plu&Play kind of stuff!). The installation and settings were done by the book and assisted by racing chip tunners via PC.
Everything seemed nice and smooth and the added HP and torque were awsome for my rig. Can't tell how happy I was during that Balkan tour. My JK wheeled excellent no problems at all!
BUT - after wheeling > 5000 km arround in the Balkan Peninsula both on and off highways my rig started to pop-up following syndrom (luckly all bellow started when arrived home):
- power loose
- limp mode
- engine light on dash
After all the checkings with my buddies we noticed that StarScan indicated a high flow rate/pressure in the common rail ramp. Checked again after removing the Chip and the same error code was flashed by the Scanner. We checked deeper and had tested the injectors. I was lucky here was nothing wrong. Checked again MAF sensor, air intake and rest of sensor + booster and VGT. Everything was right and not problems whatsoever.
After removing the chip kit my VM 2,8 CRD was happy againa, a little bit "laggy" but you know the same cat torque under the hood and the same 410 NM output.
I have discussed with the engineers from MSpeed.de in Germany and their are still the opinion that my injectors were wrong or not functioning well. Fine.... I've tested the car with Bosch services latest and most modern testing ramp.
Again everything was fine. Finaly after all this fuss I decided to sell my chip tuning kit and was the oppinion that all those money were wrong allocated. That's it!
After reading and discussions with AussieJeepOffroad chip tuners it comes out that a chip tuning for a MANUAL 6speed 2,8 CRD JK is NOT recommended for the following reasons:
- NSG 370 gear box (Merc sourced) allows a maximum 390-410 NM or torque
- DMF Sachs clutch allows similar reduced amount of torque NOT MORE during long periods; DMF is already very sensitive to high vibration and torque of the VM anyway; an aftermarket clutch (HD) is not yet released from my latest updates so if Centerforce or ExtremeClutches will make one I'll be their first client;
- 2,8 VM Motori 428RA DOHC which fits my rig outputs a hell more torque than those a.m. components can afford (>460 NM); from this perspective I can tell that Mopar & Chrysler engineers although they found a good matching in terms of engine they did it wrong when matching this engine with the gear box, transfer case and the clutch. (Maybe I'm wrong!)

So in time after chiping a JK with manual 6 speed NSG370, YOU may register quicker clutch failure (anyway JK clutch is week if you decide to wheel on rock/mud) and possible malfunction syndroms to your gearbox/transfer case. SO IF YOU DO CARE about your RIG and WiSH to KEEP you longer be aware and keep that in MIND. There are discussions if such DMF may be machined somehow but I am not that guinea pig after all a.m.

AUTO JK's are feeling fine with exact the same Chip Tuning Kit and none of my fellow friends are encoutering any of those issues. BUT stick drivers registered in time surprises with their rigs after chipping! I rather be carefully and allocate money after a serious investigation!

2. ScangaugeII.
Excellent device but why bother if on the market are plenty of Wi-Fi/Bluetooth devices/softwares for Smartphones using a simple plug&play OMBD II scan transmitter and doing exact the same. I mean for the same price you can get an Ipone, software and wi-fi muffler. You must be aware of not getting a Chinese product using E-bay. I preffer to buy such electornics directly from producers sites.

All the best and promisse to be shorter!
Regards

John

leolito 11-08-2011 06:37 AM

In short, I must say the Tunit installation is really a breeze.
The only trick is to have an engine bay CLEAN and to fight the OEM plug which in my case was really not helpful.
After that, the cable for the Tunit is really long, I passed it all around until i put the unit under the OEM engine management system, so it should be relatevely protected (also cover it with a plastic).
For the time being I left it in the middle setting (5, there is a notch that goes from 1 to 9), just to see how it behaves.
At this level the vehicle feels a bit more responsive, but nothing exagerated. At least it can move the 35s with a bit more ease. Consumption has not increase not descrease, but I also have not driven it a lot (no time). No alarms or lights.

The Scangauge was a bit more challenging to install, because of the cable routing behind the windscreen pillar. I mounted it behind the rearview mirror using the kit that they offer, very nice metalwork in there. No vibrations, no bother.
The scangauge is a nice unit, had a lot of functions and info I am still trying to sort it out :crazyeyes:

Originally Posted by irishcoffee (Post 2607846)
....2. ScangaugeII.
Excellent device but why bother if on the market are plenty of Wi-Fi/Bluetooth devices/softwares for Smartphones using a simple plug&play OMBD II scan transmitter and doing exact the same. I mean for the same price you can get an Ipone, software and wi-fi muffler....

me ugha ugha .... why would I want all that stuff! :D
I have been resisting attacks in "get your apps" .... no thanks I rather have a display/gauge old school type .... :wink:
My phone is as far away from an iphone as possible ... lol :blush:

scotlandjk 01-09-2012 01:35 PM

For the guys running the scanguage you might find this thread useful. https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...rature-working!

Think it only works on the auto's as I believe that the manuals do not have the sensor however I will try to make sure.

snowibex 01-17-2012 03:57 AM

Update on Jeremy Fearn remap

I've done nearly 5000 miles now since I had the remap done, so I thought I'd do a little update.
I am still completely happy with the results of the remap.

Fuel consumption has settled to a consistent 25mpg over this time - much better than the 21.5 I'd been used to for the previous 2 years/35000 miles.:clap:

Drivability is still also vastly improved. One small niggle that emerged just after I'd had it done was that on long, steady uphill sections of A-road travelling at just below 60mph, the torque converter was fully locked-up, and the engine doing around 1800rpm. If the hill got steeper or I needed to apply more power the t/c would stay locked up (good!) but the engine would sound as though it was labouring, setting up a mild but unpleasant vibration through the chassis. Fortunately, over time this appears to have "cured itself", by which I mean it still holds the high gear, but does not labour when asked for more power. This I am assuming is due to the adaptive nature of the engine/gearbox ecu's. If it had carried on then I would be going back to Jeremy for a tweak to the programming.:thumbsup:

Next step is to fit a Samco intercooler hose kit and remove the back box on the exhaust, just for fun rather than anticipating any great results:wink:

Biggest problem with having all this new power is I'm now tempted to run my 35's on a daily basis!

Giles

Originally Posted by snowibex (Post 2551254)
Hi all,

Thanks for all the input and suggestions since the start of this thread.

After looking at all the options I decided against a "plug-in" box, mostly because of hearing of issues with Tunits putting throwing up engine error codes. This is something I want to avoid, and reinforces my paranoia that "plug-ins" simply increase the fuelling and may not have been developed specifically for the JK.

As it happened I bumped into an old friend from my days of messing with Landrovers and he reminded me of a chap called Jeremy Fern. Jeremy has had an excellent reputation for the last 20 or so years for tuning and latterly re-mapping Landrover diesels. I gave him a call and he had written a program for a 2007 CRD JK last November. He put me in touch with the guy he did it for and he has not had any issues with it since it was done (except doing a 180 spin on a wet roundabout just after:clap:)

So I went to see Jeremy on Friday. Half an hour later he'd finished loading the remap to mine. I've only done about 300 miles since, but I am impressed:ya:

It has removed all the hesitation when you put your foot down, from a rolling start or from a standstill. It holds a higher gear for longer before kicking down, and when it does need to rev to 3500/4000 it now has power all the way rather than before when it just made lots of noise for no apparent increase in speed. Accellerating on the motorway from 70 to 90 is now a pleasure rather than a but-clenching excercise.

I'll feedback on fuel consumption when I've done a few more miles, and also any impact on low-box use. Overall I'd fully recommend Jeremy to anyone.

Cheers,

Giles

irishcoffee 01-17-2012 04:44 AM

@snowibex
great feedback! Thanks for sharing!
the company who did for your rig the ECU Remapping has a name/website?
a cost estimation for such a remap?
thanks!

john

snowibex 01-23-2012 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by irishcoffee (Post 2794651)
@snowibex
great feedback! Thanks for sharing!
the company who did for your rig the ECU Remapping has a name/website?
a cost estimation for such a remap?
thanks!

john

Cost was £450 plus VAT (20%) , Jeremy Fearn, www.jeremyjfearn.co.uk,

irishcoffee 01-24-2012 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by snowibex (Post 2807711)
Cost was £450 plus VAT (20%) , Jeremy Fearn, www.jeremyjfearn.co.uk,

Cheers! :thumbsup:
John