Notices
European Countries If you live in Europe and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Laws In Germany

Old 02-04-2010, 12:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laws In Germany

Hey guys, I got a quick question.

I'm about to buy a front and rear bumper but was curious if german laws allow stubby bumpers or if they have to be full length. Anyone know?
Old 02-06-2010, 06:07 AM
JK Newbie

Some Body´s drive a stubby bumper here in Germany and it is legal with TÜV papers, a friend off me must drive to Munic for the TÜV papers http://up.picr.de/2282688.jpg http://up.picr.de/2282692.jpg
Old 02-06-2010, 06:23 AM
JK Super Freak

If you need TUV approval for a bumper change that sucks.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by larzpdot
Hey guys, I got a quick question.

I'm about to buy a front and rear bumper but was curious if german laws allow stubby bumpers or if they have to be full length. Anyone know?
You American or German? If you are German then all of the above are correct. I do know that if it is a winch bumper the TUV are very easy to deal with. If you are American living in Germany then it doesn't matter. I ride all year with a stubby front bumper and have been through inspection and it all passed. They don't care if your American, there's not much they can do with the SOFA laws.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:44 AM
Red
JK Enthusiast

As an American, it seems the military inspection stations only get picky about tires sticking way out past the fender flairs. Also depends on where you take it. Some have been really picky as of late, others are, well, very lax. As a German, good luck with the TUV. You can usually find somewhere where they will write it off, or find someone that can get it through for you, but it costs. The whole TUV thing is just a way to make money, they really don't care about the safety aspect, just about the Euro. The inspectors generally have no mechanical back ground and couldn't tell you the difference between a pitman arm and a control arm.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for all the info. yes i'm an american stationed in germany so i assume that i wont run into any trouble with a new bumper
Old 02-11-2010, 10:04 AM
Red
JK Enthusiast

Just keep the stock one on hand. That way, if they give you too much grief at the inspection station, switch it back for the inspection, and then put on what you like. No one will bother you. And if the police do stop you, well, they can't do anything about it and you don't speak German. I go through this a lot with my Harley with short shots.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red
As an American, it seems the military inspection stations only get picky about tires sticking way out past the fender flairs. Also depends on where you take it. Some have been really picky as of late, others are, well, very lax. As a German, good luck with the TUV. You can usually find somewhere where they will write it off, or find someone that can get it through for you, but it costs. The whole TUV thing is just a way to make money, they really don't care about the safety aspect, just about the Euro. The inspectors generally have no mechanical back ground and couldn't tell you the difference between a pitman arm and a control arm.
Just te opposite my friend. The TUV is a yearly full safety and compliance inspection that requires ALL European registered/owned vehicles to comply with the recommended safety guidelines. I only wish we had this in the US, if so there wouldn't be so many vehicles on the road that pose a hazzard to others. If you were to put aftermarket parts/accessories on your vehicle to improve performance then it would be required to have the TUV stamp stating that said addition doesn't take away from the vehicles safety. All this said though, if your an American stationed in Germany, you don't have to worry about it.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

What about going door less in Germany? wanna get out with nothing on just want to know the legality of such.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

bumpbumpbump

Quick Reply: Laws In Germany