Notices
European Countries If you live in Europe and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

PCS move from the USA to the UK, help needed!

Old 06-26-2009, 07:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question PCS move from the USA to the UK, help needed!

I'm stationed in North Carolina now and yesterday I found out ill be going to the UK for the next 3 years. Leaving my Jeep behind or selling it is just NOT and option. My wife would think other wise... id leave her here before Id leave my JK behind. She knows that so we haven't even had to argue about it. I know that the automotive standards are different and that some mods must be done to my lighting and varies other things I just dont know what they are. If we have any fellow UK JK owners that could give me a head start or anyone else for that matter that has any info that would help. I know theres places over there that will mod everything for you once you get over there but I haven't had to pay anyone to do anything on my JK so far and didn't want to start now. Write ups or pics would be great. Thank you in advance for any info that might help.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:20 AM
JK Super Freak

I'd sell your JK here and get a diesel model in the UK! It'll be cheaper than shipping and making any changes to your US model. Even if your company is willing to ship to the UK, maybe you can negotiate to have them give you the money it would have cost to ship and use it towards the purchase of a UK diesel model.

Besides, it's cool to have a RHD Jeep.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'd get a divorce first

My wife and kids are more important to me than all my gun collection or jeep

You've got more to worry about than your jeep !!!

JIMBO
Old 06-26-2009, 07:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Goog Bye

sell good bye to a great freind "3.8". say hello my new desiel! it's only a jeep. you can buy a new one and make the new one better than your old one! and if your jeep is more important than your family. you have some issues.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:00 AM
JK Newbie

Default Ok ok

OK OK, I love my wife, I was trying to make a humorous example of how much my JK means to me. I didn't think about the diesel option... got me thinking know. This maybe trivial but once I bring the UK Jeep back here I just didn't want to have the steering wheel on the wrong side. Small price to pay for the diesel option I guess. But just in case I dont sell my Jeep and keep it, I still need so help on the original matter. Love the suggestions, keep them coming.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DaPlague
OK OK, I love my wife, I was trying to make a humorous example of how much my JK means to me. I didn't think about the diesel option... got me thinking know. This maybe trivial but once I bring the UK Jeep back here I just didn't want to have the steering wheel on the wrong side. Small price to pay for the diesel option I guess. But just in case I dont sell my Jeep and keep it, I still need so help on the original matter. Love the suggestions, keep them coming.
All I know about the UK is that it's cold and it always rains. So be sure to keep the top up and the heater working. Actually, I was fortunate enough that it didn't rain any of the 5 days we were in London a few years back, but was told those were about the only days it hadn't rained all year! Been back a few times since and visited other parts of the country, but it's always rained!

Good luck!
Old 06-26-2009, 08:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Default you can

you can buy it American Spec out there. so it's just like buying one here in the states. but you get the better engine! they do charge a bit more for the american Spec. but it's woth it to get the Deseil.

Originally Posted by DaPlague
Old 06-26-2009, 08:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Heh Heh, I kinda figured that !!

Although a diesel is an adnmirable option, I don't think the cost of emission compliance and the "misplaced" steering wheel would make it worth the transfer

Good luck

JIMBO
Old 06-26-2009, 09:11 AM
JK Super Freak

It's been a long time, but do they not still ship your POV for free??? I was in the AF a long time ago, and 3 years was not an option, but when we PCS'd over seas long we got to take our POV.

I don't know how much household goods you get to take, but you could take all the Mods off that you don't think will pass the inspection (I'm sure a lot has changed) then ship them as household goods and put them back on once you get there.

As for the Diesel, I'm sure they will not let you ship it back for the same reason they don't sell it here, it does not meet emissions so you'd have to find a way to getit back on your own.

Where you going over there? I was at RAF Lakenheath form 85-89.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey
this site might help it says what need to be done as far as legal stuff and SVA tests.
ht tp://www.fte.co.uk/fte4x4/jk/jk_sva.htm

be sure to bring over/do all your mods in the US and not wait until you get it over here.....it will save you serious money

any questions just pm

Quick Reply: PCS move from the USA to the UK, help needed!