Notices
European Countries If you live in Europe and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

PCS move from the USA to the UK, help needed!

Old 06-26-2009, 10:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im going to RAF Lakenheath, im an F-15E Crew Chief. For the extended tour of 3 years I can bring a POV on the GOVs tab along with my spouse. The 2 year option is just yourself. We cant wait to go, it should be interesting. If you got any advice or tips for living in the area, please PM me.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

There are a bunch of us JK owners stationed over here in Germany. I'm not sure about the UK, but we don't have to modify our lighting or anything, because we are here SOFA status style (that means we can run full US specs). They only worry about tint on the front windows over here. I have heard of the guys in the BENELUX (Belgium, Neatherlands, Luxemburg) having to add a rear fog light (red) though. You should be able to check at the relocation office for a SITES packet, that should have the phone number in it for the POV registraton office for the RAF in it. It may be worth your while to make the call. Good luck, and if you get a chance to visit Bavaria, hit us up, we'll take you out to the off road park around here.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nclehmann
I'd sell your JK here and get a diesel model in the UK! It'll be cheaper than shipping and making any changes to your US model. Even if your company is willing to ship to the UK, maybe you can negotiate to have them give you the money it would have cost to ship and use it towards the purchase of a UK diesel model.

Besides, it's cool to have a RHD Jeep.
I totally agree on the diesel being worth looking into.......yet, I knew when I read your post that you did not pick up on he's serving in the Air Force........not much negotiation room with that employer!!!
Old 06-26-2009, 11:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Clownhunter69
There are a bunch of us JK owners stationed over here in Germany. I'm not sure about the UK, but we don't have to modify our lighting or anything, because we are here SOFA status style (that means we can run full US specs). They only worry about tint on the front windows over here. I have heard of the guys in the BENELUX (Belgium, Neatherlands, Luxemburg) having to add a rear fog light (red) though. You should be able to check at the relocation office for a SITES packet, that should have the phone number in it for the POV registraton office for the RAF in it. It may be worth your while to make the call. Good luck, and if you get a chance to visit Bavaria, hit us up, we'll take you out to the off road park around here.
x2 You will be on SOFA status and you will be taking the vehicle home with you when you leave. It shouldn't be an issue. I just got back from Germany in Feb and we didnt have to change anything.
Now if you sell it to a LN while you are there then it must be modified (usually by the buyer).
Old 06-26-2009, 07:28 PM
JK Freak

If I was you I would sell my JK bec by the time you will be back most of the things will be outdated etc etc European road laws are very strict for example you cant have
more than 2.5" Lift,
You cant have Shorty Front Bumper with hood scoop
You Cant shop ur fenders or use wheel spacers tyres should not be exposed
You need Mud Flaps the list goes on and on

By a Landy disco moded you will enjoy there and sell it on ur way back.

Even if you bring ur right hand Diesel JK back home parts would be a big issue and trust me loads of Diesel oweners are not happy with the oil burner

The tip is buy a 4wd which is common in that country so Landrover in UK, Nissan in Aus and Jeep or anything is US etc
Old 06-26-2009, 10:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

I came back from Germany last summer. You can take a US spec vehicle to a NATO country, even a Jeep. Because of the SOFA, you will not be "importing" the vehicle and will not need to mod it to meet Euro standards but you will have to have it inspected on base, which means you could have trouble if you have really modded your JK. There may be rules on tire size, lifts, etc. If you want info on it, just give vehicle registration on Lakenheath a call.

As for picking up a Euro spec vehicle over there, it can be done but you will have to bring it back through a licensed importer. This may not be as much trouble as you would at first think. Normally, the issue is the crash test data. The model has to have been tested or there has to be an equivalent US vehicle. This shouldn't be a problem with a JK since I believe the bodies are the same. I tried to bring back a Land Rover Defender (which are still made in Europe) but without the crash data, there wasn't any practical way.

Also, you can take more than one vehicle over. It really isn't as expensive as you might think. I want to say that it is less than $1500. That is, however, one way.

When it comes to driving over there, don't worry too much about the size of the vehicle. I new tons of people who drove full size Suburbans without a problem. The parking spots are small but they are so small that they are tight even if you are driving VW Golf. In places that are really nasty to drive, you will probably be taking the metro anyway.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Absence makes the heart grow fonder - store the Jeep, it will be waiting when you get back. When you are there, get another iconic vehicle like an old Mini Cooper or MGB and enjoy that different driving experience for a few years. You may even end up bringing the British vehicle back this way!
BTW, the JK weatherstrips are made in Goldsboro, NC, by Cooper Standard.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:19 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Zak
If I was you I would sell my JK bec by the time you will be back most of the things will be outdated etc etc European road laws are very strict for example you cant have
more than 2.5" Lift,
You cant have Shorty Front Bumper with hood scoop
You Cant shop ur fenders or use wheel spacers tyres should not be exposed
You need Mud Flaps the list goes on and on

By a Landy disco moded you will enjoy there and sell it on ur way back.

Even if you bring ur right hand Diesel JK back home parts would be a big issue and trust me loads of Diesel oweners are not happy with the oil burner

The tip is buy a 4wd which is common in that country so Landrover in UK, Nissan in Aus and Jeep or anything is US etc
you cant have more than a 2.5" lift??? ive never heard that.....im wanting the aev 3.5"
Old 06-27-2009, 08:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scotlandjk
you cant have more than a 2.5" lift??? ive never heard that.....im wanting the aev 3.5"
x2 on this.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:14 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by geoffcwilson
Absence makes the heart grow fonder - store the Jeep, it will be waiting when you get back. When you are there, get another iconic vehicle like an old Mini Cooper or MGB and enjoy that different driving experience for a few years. You may even end up bringing the British vehicle back this way!
BTW, the JK weatherstrips are made in Goldsboro, NC, by Cooper Standard.
Im stationed at Seymour Johnson AFB in Goldsboro NC. Thats so crazy, I never even knew that. The AF will put it in long term storage but I dont think they start it up or move it around and 3 years is way to long to let it sit.

Quick Reply: PCS move from the USA to the UK, help needed!