Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Arizona

Old 04-28-2011, 10:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arizona

Sorry for the strange thread, but my wife and I are looking at a second home in Arizona, one which we will move into permanently in a year when I retire, and was wondering if there is anyone who knows anything about Maricopa? We have found several homes we are thinking about making an offer on, but have never been there. Have traveled West of Phoenix, Goodyear, Avondale, Surprise, Buckeye, as well as down in the Queen Creek, San Tan Valley, Chandler, Casa Grande.
Prices in Maricopa are unbelievable, and want to get something locked in as soon as possible. Any comments appreciated.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Maricopa is out there, but it is nice for the most part. Gets really windy out there especially during monsoon season. Its cheap because most everyone drives all the way into Phoenix for work, so the cheap prices are the only way to attract buyers. Good luck house hunting!
Old 04-28-2011, 12:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is also surrounded by the reservation.

But hey you could be neighbors with Palin's kid. lol
Old 04-28-2011, 06:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Maricopa and San Tan valley are the ghetto, many foreclosures, thats why its cheap. Some areas of Chandler and Queen Creek are nice. My parents are retired in Mesa. It's a cool place for old folks...
Old 04-28-2011, 08:34 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd move to az in a second. I loved Tempe, Scottsdale, Chandler, Gilbert, Messa too. I have been looking for jobs that pay what I make now.... Even a little less. 175k will buy you a mansion! 175k gets a fixer upper on the east coast! I don't know the proper spelling but (allwatuqie) is very nice to.

Good luck. I'm very jealous!
Old 04-29-2011, 02:42 AM
JK Newbie

I love AZ, I'm from Tucson so I'm not sure about Maricopa. But I do know a lot of people retire there. You should enjoy it regardless.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:47 AM
JK Junkie

Some more info on what you are looking for in a house, location, amenities, etc. would help. Maricopa is about 20-30 minutes from the main Phoenix area, but has all your standard shopping needs. If you find yourself needing to come into town often, keep in mind gas prices and all the additional driving you might be doing.

What type of activities do you enjoy? If the Jeep is a primary source of entertainment, then Maricopa is really good as there are lots of places to go that are not far. However it's the middle of the desert and it's hot 4 - 6 months of the year, so outdoor activities slow down or you need to head to the high country.

My parents are retiring out here in about a year as well and have been looking in the Queen Creek area. However that's partially because of locale to us and they want some land. They'll probably end up with a place on 2 acres for about 200K. Their place in the Chicago suburbs with just under an acre will probably sell for around 500K

Trending Topics

Old 04-29-2011, 05:50 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by chipmaker
Maricopa and San Tan valley are the ghetto, many foreclosures, thats why its cheap. Some areas of Chandler and Queen Creek are nice. My parents are retired in Mesa. It's a cool place for old folks...
and Mesa isn't "ghetto"?
Old 04-29-2011, 06:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Stay away from Maricopa Theirs a reason its cheeper... I have lived in several areas in Phoenix. And this is just my OPINION For retirement you can't go wrong with Surprise, Sun city area far from all but still close enough, active lifestyles both young and old. And still cheep enough to get your moneys worth. Please don't misconstrue this for anything other than it is, but all the foreclosures aren't attracting the element like some of the other areas of Phoenix. Just my
Old 04-29-2011, 06:19 AM
JK Freak

my 2 cents also (I am lookin for a place to buy a house as well), if you are a jeeper and wanna be close to Phoenix and close to the nice cool weather and scenery, I am and would suggest north, or northwest Phoenx,, I've lived around phoenix as well west side 80's, late 80's mesa area, and I think the place to be is North. Run up to cool wheelin in summer (close by) and from what I've researched, it seems the element it's attracting is a better crowd,, just my 2 cents,, I think I'm movin north (north of 101 and 17/ happy valley rd. and 17 area)

Last edited by Jknockers; 04-29-2011 at 06:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Arizona