Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Black Bear Pass, CO.

Old 03-01-2017, 10:17 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Just don't do this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxcYOxG0fDY That video gets me every time. How. On. Earth
Old 03-01-2017, 10:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow I think they got lucky. There are places on that trail where you would roll 1000 feet to your death!
Old 03-01-2017, 11:01 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

If it's not on your radar for your trip, you might check out Bullion King Lake. That trailhead is maybe just 1/2 mile or so south of the Black Bear trailhead, same side of the highway. There are a couple spots that are >o< narrow. There was one snow drift that prevented us from passing but we hiked up a ways. One spot we argued about if we could have passed.....I counted the footsteps wide and figured we'd have a foot or two to spare. LOL. Here's someone's vid from '12 -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz1szr-NFK0
Old 03-29-2020, 08:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well guy's, We did make it out to Co. Spent a total of 26 days out in the area. But here is the Bad part. We had to switch are plans from the middle of Aug to the middle of May.. Couldn't be helped, family issues with Aug My daughter and son-in-law had made plans to re-do their wedding vowels and the wife would not miss it.
So we ended up staying in Ouray as a base camp the entire time we were there and made day trips everyday from there. We had a blast....
Now for the Bad part, being it was May, we could only do about half the trails from bottom to top. Most of all the higher trails were snowed shut from about 10,500 ft and above.
We still enjoyed are time out west and don't regret a minute of it. As far as Black Bear we could only go up from the bottom and only as far as the area they have setup to view the falls. They would not allow anyone above that. Well not in a vehicle anyway. You could hike, but hat wasn't going to happen, to old and fat for that stuff....
Just wanted to update this old post. Hope to get out that way again. This time in late July or Aug.......

Last edited by boots; 03-30-2020 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:22 PM
JK Newbie

Default I’m in the same boat

I’ll be in Durango on Aug 3rd 2021, looking to do Telluride via Black Bear but do not know the area and am solo. Anyone interested in a run? Either respond here or DM me.

Last edited by 1Up1Down; 07-27-2021 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-28-2021, 04:22 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by 1Up1Down
I’ll be in Durango on Aug 3rd 2021, looking to do Telluride via Black Bear but do not know the area and am solo. Anyone interested in a run? Either respond here or DM me.
I can see how for some this pass could be considered aggressive and for others it is nothing but some beautiful scenery. About 3/5 through the trail you hit a rocky patch of "stairs" that is maybe 60' long or so. I can see how that might be "hard" for folks that are just used to fire-road type wheelin and it's nothing for people that are used to rocks. Just go slow as you go down them and you're fine. There really isn't much danger there. I didn't think the switchbacks were much of anything. Sure, you make a simple 3pt turn but I never felt the need to even get out and look to double-check distances in a 4dr. My wife is a real scaredy-cat who doesn't like "jeeping" and nothing on that trail gave her concern. People will make this out as though the ledges are super narrow and sketchy. I get that we all have different perspectives, but there is plenty of room.

Best to leave early and be on the trail by 8:30 IMO. That gets you to Telluride for lunch/shopping, and the Telluride of the trail starts filling up fast with people parking and walking up the switchbacks to see Bridal Falls. Parking in Telluride sux, place was packed. I drove around just about every single street trying to find a place to park...anywhere. I was about to throw in the towel and just leave and finally found one.

My personal opinion is this pass is completely safe to do solo if you know your jeep. I can see how the rental companies don't let folks go on it though due to just a couple spots. Kinda stink so many people miss out on it due to such a tiny section of rock. I think it's a prettier pass than Imogene myself. You didn't mention doing Imogene back, but if you do take the time to stop by Upper Camp Bird Mine on the Ouray side of the pass. Most people seem to bypass that and just keep going on the trail. There are a few things to look at over there and it's worth stopping.

Enjoy your trip, stay safe!
Old 07-28-2021, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 467 Likes on 419 Posts

And with the steps if they angle across your path then please be sure to take them at as close to right angles (IE both front wheels going over at same time) to avoid a rollover potential. Saw some amateur doing them on YT in an FJ Cruiser, he/she cut them on an angle and rolled that FJ. Very easy to avoid and I must say the Jeep is way more stable in that situation but not invincible.
Old 09-23-2021, 09:07 AM
JK Newbie

We may have been there at the same time! Great trail. Want to go back to do it again.

Quick Reply: Black Bear Pass, CO.