Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

jeepin/camping areas NM

Old 07-29-2009, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jeepin/camping areas NM

My wife and I are supposed to go camping w/ the in-laws at/near Red River NM, anybody no of some good jeep trails in the area? Thanks-Joe
Old 08-02-2009, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Don't know of any trails in the area, but there are quite a few forest service roads in the area. Many of the roads are well maintained dirt but some of them can be quite rough you never know until you drive them.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:54 AM
JK Super Freak

There are three main "trails" in Red River (in addition to the previously mentioned forrest roads) Considering your're from OK, these should be fun mountain trails that take you up as high as 11,500 ft.

1. Greenie Peak. Simple trail can be done most of the way in 2WD. I do it in 4Lo just b/c of the inclines. Not technical at all. Beautiful view from the top.

2. Goose Lake. You will be in 4Lo the whole way, again, because of the incline. Beautiful view from the top.

3. 4th of July Canyon. Have not done this one yet. Just learned of it.

All of these should be done first thing in the AM. Lots of side-by-side, ATV and rental Jeep traffic if you wait 'til mid day. Not the end of the world, but there are a limited number spots where two veh can pass.

Shoot me a PM when you're in town. Maybe we can hook up??
Old 08-03-2009, 09:42 PM
JK Newbie

Default 4th of July Canyon / Red River

Location: upper valley Red River..next to the Fire Station. Starts out steep narrow and heavily rutted..not too rocky though. Well traveled Jeep/ATV trail. Hit the top at about 1 mile then a piece of cake. Well traveled with several dead end options and a few loops from there. Any JK can make it no problem. Let me know if you need more info.

Quick Reply: jeepin/camping areas NM