Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

South Fork, CO Aug 1st - headed to Ouray for a day or 2

Old 07-06-2009, 08:29 PM
KEY
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default South Fork, CO Aug 1st - headed to Ouray for a day or 2

The wife and I are headed up to South Fork for the first week of Aug (NO KIDS) A couple of friends are coming with us and are thinking of spending a couple of days up around Ouray. We have a house in South Fork that was rebuilt a year ago from the Million Fire back in 2002.
Time to start enjoying the area again. I've never been on any passes around Ouray, but have read enough to know I want to go (did I mention we aren't taking our kiddos?)
One of my friends is bringing his stock unlimited X and is worried that he might not be able to run the more difficult passes. I told him he has 2 weeks to lift it, lock it, and get some new shoes!!! He didn't laugh as he just purchased it today.
Since we aren't taking the 2 and 5 year old, I'm thinking camping around Ouray one night. Leaving from the house in South Fork and heading up to Lake City, then taking Engineer Pass over to Ouray. What other passes would you do knowing you are going to have to head back to South Fork the next day? Any thoughts on where to camp? Thanks! Also wouldn't mind throwing a fly in the water every now and then!
Old 07-06-2009, 09:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow! Would you believe I used to live in South Fork? Way back in 1983-85

There are some little cabins in a semi-circle (last time I checked Google maps) I used to live in a trailer behind those cabins and my family ran the local resturant. It was called the Timbercreek Resturant.

A lot has changed... my back yard used to run all the way to the Rio Grande, now there are houses back there.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

The trails in and around Ouray are not difficult. No need to lift or lock a stock height JK to run them. Good A/T or M/T tires, yes.

I've been on all the trails and passes in the area in a stock height TJ and a stock height KJ with full skids and good A/T tires. The only two tails I haven't done in the KJ are Poughkeepsie (up hill) and Governor's Basin. The trails up there are very scenic and some have steep drop offs, but they are over rated when it comes to their difficulty. Even Black Bear is doable without a lift or lockers. It gets it's difficult rating from the three point turns on the switchbacks. It has nothing to do with needing a lift or lockers...
Old 07-06-2009, 10:03 PM
JK Newbie

I should be at my summer home the first week of August. its in Lake City so you should hit me up for sure.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:50 AM
KEY
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by xerofall
Wow! Would you believe I used to live in South Fork? Way back in 1983-85

There are some little cabins in a semi-circle (last time I checked Google maps) I used to live in a trailer behind those cabins and my family ran the local resturant. It was called the Timbercreek Resturant.

A lot has changed... my back yard used to run all the way to the Rio Grande, now there are houses back there.
xerofall, If you're talking about the cabins east of town, they are still there. Our house is in a new (1996) development south of Hwy 160. It used to be a good size ranch on both the north and south of 160. A lot has changed since you last lived there!
Old 07-08-2009, 10:08 AM
KEY
JK Newbie

The wife just put a stop to camping and said hotel. So does anyone have recommedations for a hotel in Ouray?

Also, I just put a set of Toyo MTs on yesterday. Can't wait to try them out!
Now I only need to get stauns to air down, and a compressor to air up. Any ideas on air compressors (not expensive) would be usefull as well.

Thanks!!!
Old 07-08-2009, 12:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I picked up a HV air compressor from Harbor for 40 bucks last year. It was on sale for $50 and I had a 20% coupon. Its not the fastest compressor but it does the job. Maybe 20 minutes to get from 25 psi to 45psi on all 4 tires. good time to check undercarriage for damage.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93186

check their ad's for sales and coupons.

at some point I will be mounting it in the engine bay somewhere but for now its in its own plastic case.

Originally Posted by KEY
The wife just put a stop to camping and said hotel. So does anyone have recommedations for a hotel in Ouray?

Now I only need to get stauns to air down, and a compressor to air up. Any ideas on air compressors (not expensive) would be usefull as well.

Thanks!!!
Old 07-08-2009, 04:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KEY
The wife and I are headed up to South Fork for the first week of Aug (NO KIDS) A couple of friends are coming with us and are thinking of spending a couple of days up around Ouray. We have a house in South Fork that was rebuilt a year ago from the Million Fire back in 2002.
Time to start enjoying the area again. I've never been on any passes around Ouray, but have read enough to know I want to go (did I mention we aren't taking our kiddos?)
One of my friends is bringing his stock unlimited X and is worried that he might not be able to run the more difficult passes. I told him he has 2 weeks to lift it, lock it, and get some new shoes!!! He didn't laugh as he just purchased it today.
Since we aren't taking the 2 and 5 year old, I'm thinking camping around Ouray one night. Leaving from the house in South Fork and heading up to Lake City, then taking Engineer Pass over to Ouray. What other passes would you do knowing you are going to have to head back to South Fork the next day? Any thoughts on where to camp? Thanks! Also wouldn't mind throwing a fly in the water every now and then!
I've been up Governor's Basin in a stock Grand w/245/75-15s. You have to be careful but it is a great drive. Love the overlook of YankeeBoy.
I'm am going in the next 2 weeks in my JK. I will post pics.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KEY

Thanks!!!
A lot of people stay here in Montrose instead of Ouray just due to cost and more variety. There are plenty of nice motels here.

Have you run Poughkeepsie Gulch? Let me know if you want company.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:31 PM
KEY
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jpjunkie
I've been up Governor's Basin in a stock Grand w/245/75-15s. You have to be careful but it is a great drive. Love the overlook of YankeeBoy.
I'm am going in the next 2 weeks in my JK. I will post pics.
Are you headed up with the LSJC group?

Quick Reply: South Fork, CO Aug 1st - headed to Ouray for a day or 2