Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

New Mexico JKs; Monitcello Canyon Run, Saturday April 24th

Old 04-17-2010, 12:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(Originally Posted by madjeepist (Curtis) on NMVJC or NewMexicoOffRoad.com
I will try to double check the water level closer to the weekend, upper canyon level estimates are well over 12" and a little less at the lower end ---- BUT--- its raining quit a bit here in the sierra county area, so we'll see if it gets worse towards the weekend.)

Thank you for the update Curtis.

I am concerned about the rain... If the rain continues into the week and if there is a threat of rain for the 24th we may need to postpone this run...

I would hate to postpone, but everyone's safety is paramount.

We will keep an eye on the weather and this weeks forecast.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

KOB tv 4 forecast for Monticello zip code 87939 is Wednsaday 20% chance rain, Thursday and Friday 10% chance rain, Saturday Mostly sunny. Highs in the mid 70s.

Rain rain go away, I wanna go on my Jeep run Saturday!
Old 04-19-2010, 08:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Rubi, i just sent you a PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:03 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the additional info, we'll be prepared. I have a winch accessory kit and handheld CB due to arrive any day to complete my must have list. Talked to a buddy who used to live and work in the Monticello area and he says the canyon and "box" area are Awesome for a Jeep run. I'm like a kid waiting on Christmas, can't wait to get my new Jeep off road!
Old 04-21-2010, 04:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds good jwsigman!

Most forecasts say 10% chance of rain Friday and only partly cloudy Saturday for Monticello and upper 60's to low 70's.

Looks like a go! Just waiting on a final check to make sure all is safe.

Last edited by Rubi; 04-21-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Farmington

If any of you guys ever want to put a group together and come to Farmington to do some wheeling let me know. The weather is starting to get a little more enjoyable. We went out and ran part of Reptile trail last weekend. Let me know if anyone in that group is interested.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 07jkjeeper
If any of you guys ever want to put a group together and come to Farmington to do some wheeling let me know. The weather is starting to get a little more enjoyable. We went out and ran part of Reptile trail last weekend. Let me know if anyone in that group is interested.
Cool, thank you for the invite.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:25 PM
JK Newbie

Hey, is anyone bringing kids? Trying to decide if I want to bring mine. One wants to go but the other would rather stay home and play video games. But I can't leave one and bring the other. One is too young to leave home alone. I'd rather they stayed home to dogsit, but if others are going to have kids with, maybe we'll include ours.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jwsigman
Hey, is anyone bringing kids? Trying to decide if I want to bring mine. One wants to go but the other would rather stay home and play video games. But I can't leave one and bring the other. One is too young to leave home alone. I'd rather they stayed home to dogsit, but if others are going to have kids with, maybe we'll include ours.
I don't know of any kids going on this run at all... I have not heard of anyone bringing theirs.

G.S.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Update;
Still 10% chance of rain in the Monticello area today (Friday) and Saturday it is not forecasted to rain, but it may be a little cooler than expected for this time of year with temps ranging from the upper 60’s to the low 70’s.

I spoke to a rancher that lives at the south end of the canyon and he said the water crossings are passable with almost any 4x4. The rancher was very nice and appreciated the call. He did say that there have been people on quads and other 4x4’s that have pretty much torn up irrigation and washed out water crossings by going way too fast and leaving trash behind. I reassured him that our group would be respectful.

Some basic common sense rules that I would like to put out there before we go:
• Stay on the trail; this is a drive through the canyon, not an obstacle course.
• Don’t leave trash behind, pack out anything you bring in.
• Keep your vehicle speed with the group.
• When we do stop to eat or rest, please don’t wonder off too far. There are potential hazards like snakes and we want everyone safe. (Keep an eye on your kids)
• Tread lightly.

Most important, have fun.

Please make sure to be at the meeting spot on time.
• 6:00 am at the North end of the Pit parking lot in Albuquerque.
• Or 9:00 am at the gas station by McDonald’s the North end of TorC.

Please bring enough water and food for you and your passengers and remember to plan on getting wet (dress appropriately).

See you there,
Gary
505-306-2799
CB channel 4

Quick Reply: New Mexico JKs; Monitcello Canyon Run, Saturday April 24th