Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Utah vs Northern Colorado

Old 12-05-2017, 12:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Utah vs Northern Colorado

so I am a dentist and have two very different job offers I am contending with.
The list has been narrowed down to private practice in Provo/Orem/ Lehi Utah
or a job with the VA in cheyenne Wy/ Ft Collins Colorado.
Assuming the pay was the same and the work schedules were similar which would you, my fellow jeepers, pick and why? I have never lived in either area and have no family ties to either.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:14 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Provo area is to busy for me. Moab is close (3 hours) so that would be a plus . Dang leaving Sand Point would be tough if that is where you are living now. I spent a month in Utah and while the people were friendly at first after a while it was made apparent I did not really fit in as I drank too much beer I guess. Sounds like meth is pretty rampant in the SLC area.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just moved to Salt Lake area from Portland 7 months ago.. love it so far. So much hiking/outdoor activity near the central city. Recently spent some time in Lehi and its a very nice area.. I live close to downtown SLC and really enjoy it.
MOAB is always a plus... there is plenty other nearby terrain around SLC.. LOTS of Jeeps in SLC for sure..
Cant speak much for Cheyenne...but Ft Collins is a fun town to visit..

Quality of Life in SLC area is pretty good.. traffic flows better than Portland for sure... Active, outdoorsy culture here for sure.. Politics are changing some for the better slowly.. still some quirky drink laws here...
Old 12-06-2017, 06:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jadmt
I spent a month in Utah and while the people were friendly at first after a while it was made apparent I did not really fit in as I drank too much beer I guess. Sounds like meth is pretty rampant in the SLC area.
Meth isnt as bad as it used to be.. there is quite an opioid epidemic/homelessness downtown.. I guess i found the beer drinkers pretty quick here so i havent experienced much issue with "fitting in". Everyone fusses about the 3.2% beer.. meh.. i can just drink more... although it is a pain to go to the liquor store to get full strength beer.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pdx-rubicon
Meth isnt as bad as it used to be.. there is quite an opioid epidemic/homelessness downtown.. I guess i found the beer drinkers pretty quick here so i havent experienced much issue with "fitting in". Everyone fusses about the 3.2% beer.. meh.. i can just drink more... although it is a pain to go to the liquor store to get full strength beer.
You can also get full-strength beer at some restaurants - in bottles - not draft.
Funny how nobody complains about the beer in England - even though the draft beer is usually < 4.0%. They call it "session beer".
Old 12-06-2017, 11:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I used to live in Utah, Salt Lake area and would move back in a second if I had the right job and family alignment. I know a Steve Penrose who runs a Dentist practice in Utah. (Step family)

If you like more isolation go with Wyoming, but keep in mind, it's colder, windier, and quieter. Colorado is over-rated in my opinion, but I am bias 'cause I'm from Utah.

If you move to Utah, try to get as close as you can to those beautiful mountains.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2MchFun
You can also get full-strength beer at some restaurants - in bottles - not draft.
Funny how nobody complains about the beer in England - even though the draft beer is usually < 4.0%. They call it "session beer".
After being in portland and drinking high gravity beer, i rather enjoy being able to drink a few beers without worrying about driving..

now... if i had to complain about Drink laws... i'd say DON'T order a drink like an old fashioned at a UT Bar... it's half water! :-)
Old 12-06-2017, 02:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AS pdx-' already mentioned, you can get all the high-gravity beer you want at the liquor store, take it home and drink to your heart's content - no drinking & driving involved.

You are correct about the mixed drinks though.

Quick Reply: Utah vs Northern Colorado