Notices
GPS & Geocaching If you're looking for information regarding GPS or are interested in Geocaching, this is the forum for you.

gps for dummies

Old 06-30-2007, 07:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default gps for dummies

I'm looking at getting a reasonablly-priced GPs to put in the Jeep. The probalem is, I don't know much about them, so it's difficult to compare them and shop around. Which ones should I look for, and what features do I need for all-around wheeling and traveling purposes?

For example, I read a thread recently that said that their particular model didn't work offroad. This would be a deal breaker for me.

Any other features that I want or don't want? Can anybody recommend a specific model or brand? I'm not really set on a budget. I was hoping I could get a decent one for $200-$300.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A big enough screen that you can see it without straining is important to me. For offroad use, something that is "dustproof"...maybe even water resistant would be nice....and one feature a lot of guys like it the ability to mark where you have been....(I think its called bread-crumbing?)...so if you get lost, you can follow your tracks back out.....just some thoughts.

I am probably going to mount a laptop in the Jeep and use a USB GPS solution. As well as play my tunes from it.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am no GPS expert but with the Garmin units, there seem to generally be two categories of units to consider. There are the street navigators that are primarily targeted at in vehicle use with features such as large screens, text-to-speech directions, touch screen menus etc. I like these but there is one down side to consider. You cannot load the topo maps on most of these units, so they are not all that useful off-road. I believe that most of the navigations units come with all the street/hwy level maps included.

To use the topo maps, you need one of the general purpose units that are designed for hiking, biking or use in the car. Many of these still display turn-by-turn driving directions on the screen but do not have large screens or even audible driving directions. With the general purpose GPS units, you need to buy street/hwy maps separately as the maps that come with the unit are not of sufficient detail for all but major hwy navigation.

I will probably buy the Garmin 60Cx. In addition to the GPS unit, I will need to buy the street level and topo maps, as well as a Micro SD card, 12-volt adapter and some type of bracket to mount it in the car. This will probably cost around $500 all together.

Last edited by driley; 06-30-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

most all of the GPS handheld hiking/biking/topo-capable units will be dust proof, water resistant to about 3m deep and float... sorta.

Again, almost all of them will have the state routes, US routes and interstates on them. Their accuracy is debatable, but the GPS info is ALWAYS accurate. I have used my old Magellan alone, in combination with an old laptop and my laptop alone with the newest Streets/Trips and USB GPS (Pharos) module. All with great success. Ofcourse the laptop is pretty much useless for Geocache or similar stuff. The old Magellan is great for that, but the base maps suck horribly.

I am gonna just save up my dough and get the "Jeep" GPS that mounts on the dash. It seems to me to be the best of both worlds. When docked, it serves great as a Nav unit giving audible directions. Undocked, great as a handheld. Its made by garmin... so we'll see.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody have a TOMTOM or Mio?
Old 07-01-2007, 08:32 AM
JK Newbie

I am happy with the Garmin 76csx. I bought it for a decent price but all the extras - like maps - add up. I really need to spend sometime with the software too.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Personally, I love my Garmin Quest.

Its water resistant (down to like 3 meters i think). Screen is pretty good size. I take it out to the desert a lot. Im actually shocked at how many of the larger trails show up on the regular US software it came with. I know you can buy different software too that will show more.

Its very easy to use. It creates a trail from where you have been. I've used it so many times to find my way back to camp on long days on the trail.

One of the greatest things about it is its size. I can take it with me in my pocket and change how it gives me directions (based on whether Im walking in a crowded city, driving, in a taxi etc etc).

Plus, I have recently been to a motorcycle rally I worked at. They had a Garmin booth there, and I talked to the guy there. He says the quest is really pretty powerful for its size and versatility.

It also is the same unit as the Jeep Trail Guide.

I just bought a brand new 4 door Sahara (really excited btw) and at the garmin booth they said If I can find someone who can sell me just the docking station part and wiring, that I could use the existing quest that I already have. The normal Trail Guide setup is like $800.

thegpsstore.com sells the quest brand new for like $370 (some places sell it cheaper refurbished by Garmin).

It also works great for around town (the car adapter (that it comes with, and it also comes with a house charger and the software and the cord to plug it into the computer). The car charger has a built in speaker that gives u turn by turn instructions (can be turned up nice and loud and is very clear).

Hope that helps.

Last edited by brne4x4; 07-01-2007 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:27 PM
kretinus

I have a Garmin Street Pilot, I'm fairly surpised at the accuracy of the map for this area, right down to the dead end river roads.

It can't do bread crumbing, but I was able to download POIs for it which gave me the location of most of the nature areas and reserves right down to obscure county parks.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here is one:

http://www.ecost.com/detail.aspx?EDP...rce=ewb070107A
Old 07-03-2007, 07:15 PM
JK Newbie

You can't really go wrong with any of the major brand GPS units these days, they all rely on the same satellites that the Air Force put up there, and therefore very similar tech.

Personally, I'm a fan of Garmin. I have the Nuvi 360 for navigating around road trips, and I've been looking pretty seriously at the Rino units. I was trained on something like the e-trex, and it worked great (same thing our boys over in the sand box are using).

Quick Reply: gps for dummies