Notices
GPS & Geocaching If you're looking for information regarding GPS or are interested in Geocaching, this is the forum for you.

GPS Needed??

Old 04-10-2008, 01:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS Needed??

We are going out West in June and July--Moab for one. The Question is Do we really need a GPS unit. We have a cheap one for the HiWays. Hope this makes sence.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FourEyes45
We are going out West in June and July--Moab for one. The Question is Do we really need a GPS unit. We have a cheap one for the HiWays. Hope this makes sence.
It depends, On my Lowrance unit I can upload my "MOAB Tracks" file(54 tracks) into unit, and view them all at once on the GPS, I can change the color of different trail type, (two track, single track etc)
I love having a GPS with topo when I am out exploring and it is nice to have one that does tracks ( for both import and saving) so you can view where you went etc on the PC or in Google Earth.
Most street units are not very good off- road, kind of a waste, but a unit with good Topo data is great.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't NEED a GPS but you would want some topographical map. I'm sure you can buy a paper version for moab someplace.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:49 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by rwamf
It depends, On my Lowrance unit I can upload my "MOAB Tracks" file(54 tracks) into unit, and view them all at once on the GPS, I can change the color of different trail type, (two track, single track etc)
I love having a GPS with topo when I am out exploring and it is nice to have one that does tracks ( for both import and saving) so you can view where you went etc on the PC or in Google Earth.
Most street units are not very good off- road, kind of a waste, but a unit with good Topo data is great.
What Lowrance unit do you have? How is it on the road?
Old 04-10-2008, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BaltChief
What Lowrance unit do you have? How is it on the road?
I have both the XOG and the 600c CLICK HERE for another post with description .

They both do auto routing with voice and are very nice units.

Last edited by rwamf; 04-10-2008 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:54 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by rwamf
I have both the XOG and the 600c CLICK HERE for another post with description .

They both do auto routing with voice and are very nice units.
Thanks.....looks like what I've been looking fo at a decent price
Old 04-10-2008, 06:30 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You only NEED GPS if you don't bring maps, otherwise its just a nicety. And by maps I mean detailed and/or topo maps, not rand mcnally. At least if you're going out in the back roads like me.

when i went in the backroads of colorado my cheapo gps with topo saved my butt...sometimes the signs on those backroads get destroyed/shot/rundown/etc and it can make it hard to find your way.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks Gang, Now to get serious looking for a unit---Looks like I will have to go to the Big City .
Thanks
Walter
Old 04-11-2008, 04:40 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FourEyes45
Thanks Gang, Now to get serious looking for a unit---Looks like I will have to go to the Big City .
Thanks
Walter
I bought one of the cheapest magellans that supported topos when I had one - bought it for under 180 on ebay, used it for my big trip then turned around and sold it back on ebay..ended up costing me a total of $25...almost a rental fee.

you don't need the biggest and baddest for offroading...just make sure it supports topo maps.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:05 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JackMacOKC
I bought one of the cheapest magellans that supported topos when I had one - bought it for under 180 on ebay, used it for my big trip then turned around and sold it back on ebay..ended up costing me a total of $25...almost a rental fee.

you don't need the biggest and baddest for offroading...just make sure it supports topo maps.

Big and bad sure is allot of fun though....

Quick Reply: GPS Needed??