Notices
GPS & Geocaching If you're looking for information regarding GPS or are interested in Geocaching, this is the forum for you.

Paperless caching with a NUVI

Old 10-29-2008, 12:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paperless caching with a NUVI

I just found this excellent tutorial on paperless caching with nothing but a Garmin Nuvi. Looks pretty cool.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a guy here in the Houston area that caches exclusively with a Nuvi
Old 11-03-2008, 08:43 AM
Kes
JK Enthusiast

Not sure I like the idea of parking then choosing a heading to follow to the cache. It wouldn't be too helpful if you had to follow a trail, or do a multi or even a mystery cache. Think I'll stay with my handheld. Good tutorial though.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Think a hand held would be better
Old 11-04-2008, 09:22 AM
Kes
JK Enthusiast

I have to say that I agree. It might be good for park-n-grabs but since I don't do those, a Nuvi wouldn't help much.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree on using the handheld. The Nuvi IS ALSO a handheld with a four hour battery life. There is a pedestrian mode. (I still like my 60csx)
Old 12-05-2008, 09:08 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ohlhockeyguy
There is a guy here in the Houston area that caches exclusively with a Nuvi
Don't have a Nuvi but do use a StreetPilot 2720 to get me in the general area, but then have to depend on the hand held to get to GZ.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Paperless caching is way over-rated anyway.

You drive around in an internal combustion engine spewing hydrocarbons all over our atmosphere and you worry about using a piece of paper?

I akin it to the people who are against hunting yet wear a leather belt, shoes and jacket and eat any type of meat.

BTW Hi Joeski.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:11 AM
Kes
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by woody_k
Paperless caching is way over-rated anyway.

You drive around in an internal combustion engine spewing hydrocarbons all over our atmosphere and you worry about using a piece of paper?

I akin it to the people who are against hunting yet wear a leather belt, shoes and jacket and eat any type of meat.

BTW Hi Joeski.
Woody, I think you've misunderstood the actual intent of paperless caching. Going "paperless" isn't about being "green" and enviorment friendly, it's about simplifying the process of taking information with you one the cache hunt.

In the beginning of geocaching, we all had to print out the actual cache pages and take them with us if we wanted to have all the information at our fingertips. If I was going to make a cache-run of 10-15 caches, there was no way to take all that information with me without printing out every single cache page. At the end of the day, all we had was a bunch of papers with notes scribbled on them that were covered in mud and strung all over the Jeep. Paperless caching was born with the advent of programs like Cachemate and GSAK.

So even though it had nothing to do with reducing the amount of paper used, it still had the same effect. We all just wanted a better way to take all that cache information with us where ever we went. It works pretty well too, you should give it a shot.

Last edited by Kes; 12-10-2008 at 07:14 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Kes,

I agree with your statement but if you ask the cachers why they went paperless their answer would be to not waste paper.

Now that may not be the case now since my cell phone gets excellent images and cache pages are easy to read....but when paperless first started it was not to use paper cuz it's better for the enviroment.

Anyway that's what it was in So Cal.

Quick Reply: Paperless caching with a NUVI