Notices
GPS & Geocaching If you're looking for information regarding GPS or are interested in Geocaching, this is the forum for you.

True GPS

Old 06-17-2007, 05:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter and I geocache a lot together. She carries a Garmin eTrex (~$99) and I carry a Garmin GSMap 60CS ($~500).

Both are WAAS-enabled. They take AA batteries (I suppose one could use rechargables and carry spares disposables). I have a 12v adapter for the 60CS in my jeep.

The 60CS will also do street navigation, but I use NavTeq software on my HP 6515 smartphone instead.

The Garmin web site has excellent info and is well-oranized for picking the right unit.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:50 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by zoomzoomjr
I am looking for a good handheld GPS unit with WAAS that will give me my current coordinates, not one that will tell me street names. I would like it to be able to breadcrumb a trip (tracking my location every x seconds), or whatever that is called. Altitude would be a nice feature also, but not that important. Also it must be able to have rechargeable batteries or a battery pack. All suggestions are welcome.
Thanks in advance for all replies.
I bought my wife a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx. It's a handheld and she uses it for all this geo-caching stuff around the country. I bought it for her because she's going to walk the Appalachian Trail next year.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

We are going to get the Garmin GPSMap 60CSx or the 60Cx.

If you are in the market for a GPS, don't forget that with most you need to buy maps separately from the unit. They typically only come with basic maps that are not good for much. The exception are units like the Garmin Nuvi that are designed for in vehicle navagation.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:49 AM
JK Newbie

What kind of coordinates do you want just Lat and long or do you want MGRS and others?
Old 06-18-2007, 05:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

For handhelds, the Garmin 60CSx or the Delorme pn-20 are the best. The Delorme is nice because you can upload USGS quads which allow for great topos or even put aerials on it.

Originally Posted by markp_satx
I bought my wife a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx. It's a handheld and she uses it for all this geo-caching stuff around the country. I bought it for her because she's going to walk the Appalachian Trail next year.

I bet she looses that GPS in the first 100 miles. Useless on the trail. Every pound counts. I even cut half my tooth brush handle off just to save weight. 2,174 miles is a long way to carry a GPS with spare batts. Best of luck to her.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:12 PM
JK Newbie

Garmin 60CSX w/ Topo maps installed on a 2gig SD card. Great backbacking tool!!! Superior tracking and an easy to use "reverse route". Allows the datum to be changed on the fly so you can match any topo or military paper map in use. You can also download your track or waypoints and plot your route on google earth. I'm ordering this updated model this week. Many internet sites are selling it for <$350 (add topo and card). Hope this helps.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:48 PM
JK Newbie

I have been looking at the Garmin Rhino 520... I already use GMRS radios on the trail a lot and it is nice to be able to transmit the locations. I have a Garmin GPS built in also, but I want something that I can take with me too.

Quick Reply: True GPS