Notices
Great Lakes If you live in the Great Lakes area (Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana and Ohio) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Lining (Rhino or Linex) the tub?

Old 10-05-2010, 03:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lining (Rhino or Linex) the tub?

I am thinking hard about ditching my carpet and getting the inside lined from front to back, including cargo area. Getting tired of pulling carpet out to dry. Has anyone had this done in the Metro Detroit area? If so, where? And would you recommend them again?

Thanks!

Craig
Old 10-05-2010, 04:00 PM
JK Freak

I would suggest doing it yourself and saving a lot of money. I've had mine quoted got from 900 to 1800 to do the tub, that's with me taking everything out. I plan on getting the dupli-color kit or the herculiner kit and doing it next summer. There are some write ups on here that made me think its a job I can do in a couple of days.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:14 PM
JK Freak

If you are thinking about doing it yourself, consider using U-POL Raptor. It is a spray on liner that looks like Line-x. The kit is $100 and includes the spray gun. You just need an 8 cfm air compressor.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I herculined the inside of my CJ5 last year. Make sure you put down a good primer because rust will form underneath if it gets a chance.

The Herculiner is no where even close in quality to the Linex. Have the Linex in the wifes diesel truck bed and that stuff is indestructable !!! There are dents in the bed with no scratches in the linex.

I used the Duplicolor on my rocker panels on the JK. It looks alot nicer, but is no where even close to the Linex in thickness or quality either.

I would do the Linex. I am after tax time......

Originally Posted by Firehound
I would suggest doing it yourself and saving a lot of money. I've had mine quoted got from 900 to 1800 to do the tub, that's with me taking everything out. I plan on getting the dupli-color kit or the herculiner kit and doing it next summer. There are some write ups on here that made me think its a job I can do in a couple of days.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:39 PM
JK Freak

There's no doubt that linex is good stuff, I just can't swing that kinda coin. Capt. completely forgot about the raptor spray on, thats the stuff I plan on using. BTW you wanna do mine that really looks clean. I'm just saying $150-200 w/ some elbow grease vs $1000, its a no brainer to me.

Last edited by Firehound; 10-05-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:20 PM
JK Junkie

I live in AZ, do you guys ever have problems with any heat?
Old 10-05-2010, 10:25 PM
JK Freak

Interested, would love to see more pics of this
Old 10-06-2010, 12:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Raptor Liner. Good stuff. Line-X is a great product but crazy money. My quote $1000!

My advice, way too much attention to the prep. We spent 5 minutes with 60 grit sandpaper and it seemed to do the trick. Definitely remove the sound deadening crap. It sucks, but way worth it.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by matt852
I live in AZ, do you guys ever have problems with any heat?
Haven t had it in long enough to give a really good report. Only been 10 days- so far, so good.

The carpet keeps the heat radiating from the floor way down. When I drove around with no carpet before I sprayed some sections got really hot.

The Raptor liner deadens the sound and lowers the heat compared to the painted floor alone.

I bought some of the thick MOPAR mats and they have been great. Cant even tell so far.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Just Do It!

Originally Posted by Cdash
I am thinking hard about ditching my carpet and getting the inside lined from front to back, including cargo area. Getting tired of pulling carpet out to dry. Has anyone had this done in the Metro Detroit area? If so, where? And would you recommend them again?

Thanks!

Craig
Why don't you take the time to strip your interior out and drive over the border with just your driver's seat in. I just had mine done by the local Line-x shop in Windsor and his price is $500.00 +tx ( approx $600.00 ).They really pay attention to detail and i did not have any overspray or issues. They even did the tailgate.
This stuff is incredible....strong as hell, uniform textured look, thick etc. It also made quite a difference in the sound as well...much quieter now without carpet.
I am done with my carpet for good now. Take the time to chisel all of the sound dedening/heat barier crap off the floor boards as this stuff holds moisture and you wouldn't want to seal it under the Line-x.
I have pics in a thread on here somewhere but i can send you more pics if you want.
You will not be disappointed and it is money well spent IMO.
They will have it done in approx 6-8 hours.

Quick Reply: Lining (Rhino or Linex) the tub?