Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

first time gun buyer

Old 03-20-2012, 02:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A handgun is out due to age so now we need to look at budget. What are you willing to spend? If you want a .22 plinker, Marlin 60 all the way. Find an older one, before the magazine restrictions.
If you're undecided and want to shoot a lot, go check your local store shelves to see what rifle ammo is most plentiful and go from there.

BTW, love my XD9's over Glocks, just for future reference.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by IZZNICE
Problem is, people actually believe if you just own this gun you can hit something at a mile away.
900 yards 8" plate is the longest i've hit a freind of mine has hit targets at over a 1000 yards
Old 03-20-2012, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cousincleatus
900 yards 8" plate is the longest i've hit a freind of mine has hit targets at over a 1000 yards
1760 yards to a mile.

In my shop we always pushed two rifles for beginners, the Ruger 10/22 and the CZ 452 trainer. I like the trainer because it is amazingly accurate (my Anschutz only shoots slightly better groups at 50 meters), will run you approximately $350 (compared to $1000 or more for an Annie), it comes with graduated iron sights (25, 50, 75, & 100 meter adjustments), a hybrid Mauser bolt, easy trigger system to lighten (only need two small pieces from a feeler gauge to act as a shim), and the scope bases are built into the receiver creating less worry about bases coming loose.

To me the iron sights are important. Too many people have absolutely no idea how to shoot irons. I always have pushed people to learn irons first and then move to optics.

Of course the 10/22 is a great little rifle, though not nearly as accurate without significant work but it is semi auto. The 10/22 can be built and modified to your hearts desire though. Just be careful because it does become easy to spent $2500 to $3500 modifying one for competition.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:40 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GaMtnJk
Also, if you are thinking AR-15 be aware that laws exist preventing people under 21 years old to from having a pistol style grip on any firearm - AR, AK, Shotgun, etc....

Here in Louisiana, there are signs posted at a lot of firearms dealers that specifically state that sales of handguns and "assault" style weapons are restricted to those under the age of 21. Be very careful with purchasing these in certain states. You can find yourself in a shitpile of trouble for buying something that has the wrong type of grip or even some other part that a state's laws restrict. A lot of times, people will advertise weapons for sale in the classifieds or other places that may have been legally owned in one state but are being sold in another state where they are illegal to own.
Not trying to be a kill-joy here...I certainly do NOT advocate gun control...but there are laws in place that people sometimes aren't aware of and ignorance of the law is not a defense.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

For a first gun I'd recommend a shotgun. Can use it for hunting, home defense, of sporting clays.

I have a Benelli Nova 12 gauge. Mossberg and Remington also make good shotguns.

Last edited by crg41890; 03-30-2012 at 12:41 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HELLBENDER-JK
A Glock 19 or 26 = 9mm is a great first gun!
Only one problem with this suggestion and most of the others is that in order to legally own a handgun you must be 21 years old. At 18 one can buy rifles and shotguns only. Sorry if you were looking for a handgun you'll have to wait a little while longer.

Quick Reply: first time gun buyer