Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Which To Get...

Old 11-24-2011, 07:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which To Get...

I've had my eye on the S&W M&P 40 compact for a long time. I just checked the website for one of the local gun shops and i see this "The Sig Sauer P250 .45 acp Compact is now MA legal"

So if you had the choice, which would you get? They are both $479.95
Old 11-25-2011, 04:34 AM
JK Jedi Master

Between the two I would get the Sig, even if I had to pay more.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

There's nothing in a name. Get whatever gun fits most comfortably in your hands. Both are accurate and reliable enough for daily carry.

Go for comfort, not name.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:23 AM
JK Freak

Thanks guys. I really like the way the M&P feels. I'll give the Sig a look. I've just heard alot of people liking Sigs.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:07 AM
JK Jedi Master

I didn't recommend just a name. I recommended the quality behind the Sig name. I've carried a Sig almost every day for over 20 years. In fact, I stake my life on it.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:26 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've carried both for work, my smith has never failed. Parts have broken twice on two different sigs and prevented them from firing at the range during my annual quals. I have had nightmares about my sig not firing.... It's awful. I'm actually carrying the sig pro now.... Better than my previous sig 226 DAK. but I don't get to choose what I carry. I have NEVER had an issue with my smith .45s I actually own smiths as my personal weapons. I'm from NH not far from the sig factory and I would love to support them but I just can't in good faith. The NH state police had multiple sigs fail to fire at the range, the slides actually broke off on several guns and fell to the floor. That was about two years ago, NH state police are now all carring smiths again... The MP .45
buy what fits your hand, and is comfy. S/w has diffrent sized back straps also. I prefer the lighter weight of a polymer. Good luck.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Robar
I didn't recommend just a name. I recommended the quality behind the Sig name. I've carried a Sig almost every day for over 20 years. In fact, I stake my life on it.
Good for you. Are your hands IDENTICAL to the OP's? Are you and the OP both trained to be at the same level of weapons manipulation? Have you and the OP both spent time utilizing BOTH weapon systems at play?

I'm happy for you that you can trust your life to a Sig. There's no reason for you not to. I trust my life to an HK every day. There are others who trust their lives to Glocks, M&P's, random variants of 1911's... catch my drift?

When you bought your Jeep did you test drive it before you bought it? Or did you just buy it because of the name? I test drove mine even though it's the second Jeep I've owned. I still wanted to know if it handled or drove better than my TJ. So why is it any different with guns? People test drive vehicles, they should "test drive" guns... ESPECIALLY pistols. Would you go out and buy a new vehicle simply because someone who has been driving that specific vehicle for a whole bunch of years told you to? Didn't think so.

To the OP: My original statement stands... feel both, fondle both, shoot both, decide upon YOUR OWN reasoning. Not mine or anyone elses. Belive in your own personal bias, not mine or anyone elses.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:25 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by SmokeShowin

So if you had the choice, which would you get? They are both $479.95
Originally Posted by JeepApex
Good for you. Are your hands IDENTICAL to the OP's? Are you and the OP both trained to be at the same level of weapons manipulation? Have you and the OP both spent time utilizing BOTH weapon systems at play?

I'm happy for you that you can trust your life to a Sig. There's no reason for you not to. I trust my life to an HK every day. There are others who trust their lives to Glocks, M&P's, random variants of 1911's... catch my drift?

When you bought your Jeep did you test drive it before you bought it? Or did you just buy it because of the name? I test drove mine even though it's the second Jeep I've owned. I still wanted to know if it handled or drove better than my TJ. So why is it any different with guns? People test drive vehicles, they should "test drive" guns... ESPECIALLY pistols. Would you go out and buy a new vehicle simply because someone who has been driving that specific vehicle for a whole bunch of years told you to? Didn't think so.

To the OP: My original statement stands... feel both, fondle both, shoot both, decide upon YOUR OWN reasoning. Not mine or anyone elses. Belive in your own personal bias, not mine or anyone elses.
Not sure why there is so much attitude, I never told him not to test them out. His question was "which would you get?" so I told him which I would get. And no, I did not drive or test drive my current JK prior to signing the paper work and the dealer dropping it off at my house.

Last edited by Robar; 11-25-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, let's all take a sec to chill. It was a simple question... Not sure why anyone would get angry! Theses are just peoples opinions who were being nice enough to share. The op can take this info with him and keep it in the back of his mind while looking at firearms. No one has told the Op to buy or not buy anything. I'm sure he appreciates you having his back but, calm down for a min. If I read your post wrong, my apologies... But it kinda sounded like you tore the guy up for giving his opinion. Like we all stated before, get what fits YOUR hand and feels comfortable to YOU. Almost any gun should be fine for you recreationally or at the range. I'm assuming that your not going to be using it as a duty weapon. Good luck.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Have shot the M&P 40 - very easy to shoot for a 40. Had a full size Glock in that caliber and couldn't shoot it very well. Currently own an M&P 9 Pro series with night sights. Pro series has a lighter trigger and is even better. Have never tried a Sig, but I notice you are comparing a 40 with a 45 from two different manufacturers. There are 50 page threads on most gun forums just about the caliber choice between the two. Like someone said, don't buy until you try. The push back form a 45 is completely different than the upward snap of a 40. Personally I prefer the 45. Big slow round that says hello. Or the 9 which is deadly, ubiquitous, easy to keep on target, cheap to shoot, more compact and has higher capacity.

Quick Reply: Which To Get...