Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Glock 22/23 OR Smith and Wesson M&P 40?

Old 11-21-2011, 02:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glock 22/23 OR Smith and Wesson M&P 40?

This will be my first handgun. I think I have narrowed it down to these. Which one would you buy and why? Thanks
Old 11-21-2011, 02:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

I suddenly love Auburn..

You will get several opinions depending on personal choices. I have a XD-40 service model personally and could argue it as well. I would suggest finding a range where you can shoot both and try them out. Both are great guns so go with what feels better in your hand and what you shoot best. Good luck with your choice whatever it is.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jbird416
I suddenly love Auburn..

You will get several opinions depending on personal choices. I have a XD-40 service model personally and could argue it as well. I would suggest finding a range where you can shoot both and try them out. Both are great guns so go with what feels better in your hand and what you shoot best. Good luck with your choice whatever it is.
Thanks for the reply. It's hard not to love Auburn after seeing that pic, huh?
Old 11-23-2011, 01:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Like others have said, go find somewhere that you can shoot both. I have both guns and prefer the M&P. Nothing against the Glock, it's a fine weapon system. But in my perspective, the M&P is a better peice of kit. Go shoot both, fondle both, play with both for as long as you're allowed. Then make your decision/purchase upon proper fondlage.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Neither...

Sig Sauer, you get what you pay for;

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0231.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	240696
Old 11-23-2011, 07:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rayster
Neither...

Sig Sauer, you get what you pay for;

Attachment 240696
Sig's are fine weapons. But really, you expect a first time buyer to drop that much money on their first handgun purchase? Was your first car a Ferrari or Lambo?

For a first time purchase, I would MUCH rather someone spend less money on the actual firearm thus allowing for more funding of ammo and training. Dropping damn near one grand for a pistol and not being able to afford ammo to practice with is retarded.

Are Sig's good guns? Sure. "You get what you par for" implies that Glocks and M&P's not worthy guns to own. Do I really need to list ALL the Police Departments Nation and even WORLD wide that utilize either the Glock or the M&P as their service issued side arm? Expensive DOES NOT always equal better.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Get the Glock. There is a ton of aftermarket support for it.

That is all there is to it.

I will say something about the Sig though since someone else brought it up... it is a great gun, but not so much better for what you are paying for it. I am not putting down Sig (maybe its mosquito). Look, I love my Five-seveN, but it is not worth the price I paid for it (I got it brand new for under 1k).
Old 11-24-2011, 04:12 PM
JK Newbie

Ive shot hundreds of different handguns, and still find myself a glock fan. I carry a g22 and g27 on duty with me, and the g27 or g26 off duty. Ive put over 7500 rounds through my g22, and have had two ftf. I used to have a sig p228 (9mm) and a p220 (.45) and was NOT happy with the reliability. It would jam every couple hundred rounds.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:24 PM
JK Newbie

Have you tried a springfield xd?? In 9mm or 40 both a great gun. GLOCK is a good gun too tho
Old 11-24-2011, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jpschiro
Have you tried a springfield xd?? In 9mm or 40 both a great gun. GLOCK is a good gun too tho
Nope. Sure haven't. I found a range here in Houston where I can go shoot and "fondle" them. I gonna go check them out and see which one feels right.

Quick Reply: Glock 22/23 OR Smith and Wesson M&P 40?