Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Gunsmithing

Old 03-05-2011, 07:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gunsmithing

I think I'm going to pursue the field of Gunsmithing. If anyone on here is a Gunsmith or knows anything about it I would sure enjoy hearing about it. Give me a little information. Thanks and very much appreciated.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:39 PM
JK Super Freak

No takers?
Old 03-06-2011, 09:25 AM
JK Newbie

Default Get Ready!!!

Break out $300.00 dollars, go to your local BATFE office, pick up an 01 License Application, go to a Walgreen's or CVS and get a passport photo taken of shoulders up, no hat. Go to your State's Tax Revenue website, then go to US Dept of Treasury for a Federal Employer Identification Number. Now go shopping for a commercial property to do business from. Go purchase a safe to comply with safe storage law, go purchase an acquisition/disposition book, calculator, visit Brownell's and Midway Shooter's Supply to obtain the necessary tools. Go online and take some gunsmithing courses, practice on your own firearms, and here is the big one, contact London Insurance Company(Intl Call) to obtain no less than 2Mil. Insurance policy. You work on a gun, something goes south, you get sued. 1Mil. Will go less than three months in a lawsuit. Any other questions, feel free to ask as I retired as CEO of Midstate Firearms Corp in Virginia, IL.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:53 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by JOSHUA76
Break out $300.00 dollars, go to your local BATFE office, pick up an 01 License Application, go to a Walgreen's or CVS and get a passport photo taken of shoulders up, no hat. Go to your State's Tax Revenue website, then go to US Dept of Treasury for a Federal Employer Identification Number. Now go shopping for a commercial property to do business from. Go purchase a safe to comply with safe storage law, go purchase an acquisition/disposition book, calculator, visit Brownell's and Midway Shooter's Supply to obtain the necessary tools. Go online and take some gunsmithing courses, practice on your own firearms, and here is the big one, contact London Insurance Company(Intl Call) to obtain no less than 2Mil. Insurance policy. You work on a gun, something goes south, you get sued. 1Mil. Will go less than three months in a lawsuit. Any other questions, feel free to ask as I retired as CEO of Midstate Firearms Corp in Virginia, IL.
.....So in other words.....you better know what you're doin'.....lol
Old 03-06-2011, 03:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JOSHUA76
Well my father had a friend who is a gunsmith. I'm going to go in and ask him if he can teach me. Then maybe work there. Thanks for advice.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey,if get your business going let me know.I have a gun that needs fixed.It leaks where you put the water in.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by xblazerman
Hey,if get your business going let me know.I have a gun that needs fixed.It leaks where you put the water in.
Are you saying I wont make it?
Old 03-07-2011, 05:32 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I build/repair guns for friends but I don't do anything for people I don't know or anything. What are you wanting to do exactly? Just fix guns? I enjoy building them much more than fixing them. So far the most fun build was a mp5k-n pdw. Ive done tons of AKs and ARs and whatnot. Love em all.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
I build/repair guns for friends but I don't do anything for people I don't know or anything. What are you wanting to do exactly? Just fix guns? I enjoy building them much more than fixing them. So far the most fun build was a mp5k-n pdw. Ive done tons of AKs and ARs and whatnot. Love em all.
I'm looking for a career option. Everything else seems so boring. I don't wanna sit at a desk. I wanna be able to help people with their problems, I have been shooting since I was 5 and I absolutely love and respect guns. My fathers Friend is a gunsmith and he seems to be a very successful one. So after long debate with myself I was going to see if I enjoyed doing something like that Gunsmithing. So I asked on here if anyone knew anything about becoming a gunsmith.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MrJones944
A career in law enforcement affords plenty of opportunities to work on a variety of weapons and then shoot the hell out of them.
Yeah thats a option. I'm thinking about seeing if I would enjoy it first. I wouldn't want to get into law enforcement and not enjoy it and be stuck with it.