Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Marlin 1895 GBL

Old 10-15-2012, 07:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Marlin 1895 GBL

SO I pulled the trigger and bought this bad boy. Its expensize to shoot but man is a 45-70 a cool round.
Click image for larger version

Name:	1895.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	378709

I really wanted the STP version but it turns out its limited edition (only 501 made) and they are going for almost 2k on auction.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:41 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by powrsurg
SO I pulled the trigger and bought this bad boy. Its expensize to shoot but man is a 45-70 a cool round.
Attachment 378709

I really wanted the STP version but it turns out its limited edition (only 501 made) and they are going for almost 2k on auction.
Yes, it is. Can you imagine that round in a pistol!?
I used to have a 45-70 Remington rolling block, long barrel rifle from sometime in the 1870's.
I used the modern smokeless powder rounds in it a few time. It was a little harder on the shoulder than I liked, so I started loading my own with 70 grains of black powder like the originals. It was a lot of fun to shoot.
I've always like lever action rifles. Never got the chance to try the 45-70 lever action, though.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:11 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Yes, it is. Can you imagine that round in a pistol!?
I used to have a 45-70 Remington rolling block, long barrel rifle from sometime in the 1870's.
I used the modern smokeless powder rounds in it a few time. It was a little harder on the shoulder than I liked, so I started loading my own with 70 grains of black powder like the originals. It was a lot of fun to shoot.
I've always like lever action rifles. Never got the chance to try the 45-70 lever action, though.
I picked up these rounds that were a dollar per round. THey throw off a ton of smoke every time you shoot one. SOmethinh tells me they are black powder.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:21 AM
JK Jedi Master

I picked up these rounds that were a dollar per round. THey throw off a ton of smoke every time you shoot one. SOmethinh tells me they are black powder.
Interesting. I'd be surprised if any factories are loading black powder in them. It should say on the box, though.

Open up a round and check it out.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:12 AM
JK Freak

Interesting. I'd be surprised if any factories are loading black powder in them. It should say on the box, though.

Open up a round and check it out.
I'll post a picture of the round a bit later but they are reloads. They came in a white unmarked box. There was no manufacturer logo anywhere. It's really fun to shoot and at a dollar per round I don't mind bringing it to the range every now and again. I was taken back when I pulled the trigger for the first time. it was like shooting a very old rifle. The kick feels like a 12 gauge. I love it.

I'm just a bit disappointed that 4 days after I bought the rifle my google alert sent me an email about an STP being for sale in Alaska. It was $1200 but I probably would have spent the money. Who wouldn't want a 16in barrel on this boom stick?!
Old 11-12-2012, 07:19 AM
JK Jedi Master

I'll post a picture of the round a bit later but they are reloads. They came in a white unmarked box. There was no manufacturer logo anywhere. It's really fun to shoot and at a dollar per round I don't mind bringing it to the range every now and again. I was taken back when I pulled the trigger for the first time. it was like shooting a very old rifle. The kick feels like a 12 gauge. I love it.

I'm just a bit disappointed that 4 days after I bought the rifle my google alert sent me an email about an STP being for sale in Alaska. It was $1200 but I probably would have spent the money. Who wouldn't want a 16in barrel on this boom stick?!
Could be anything in them, then. Do you know the source? You take quite a chance when you don't.
You know about the cleanup required after shooting black powder, or even Pyrodex, right?
(Extensive dis-assembly, and plenty of hot soapy water.)
Old 11-12-2012, 08:11 AM
JK Freak

Could be anything in them, then. Do you know the source? You take quite a chance when you don't.
You know about the cleanup required after shooting black powder, or even Pyrodex, right?
(Extensive dis-assembly, and plenty of hot soapy water.)
Oh brother! I did a standard cleaning job.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shooting unknown quality reloaded ammo is generally considered to be a bad idea. Who knows if they did it correctly and how much and what is inside of each one. Lots of stories and gnarly picks on the internet of results. A blown up M1 Garand comes to mind for me.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:30 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by AJMBLAZER
Shooting unknown quality reloaded ammo is generally considered to be a bad idea. Who knows if they did it correctly and how much and what is inside of each one. Lots of stories and gnarly picks on the internet of results. A blown up M1 Garand comes to mind for me.
Considering the alternative is almost $2 a round, Ill take my chances. I already shot the stuff and will finish off the boxes I have.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, ya gotta pay to play. Your risk to take.

Not trying to sound harsh. I still have a big bag of .45 ACP rounds sitting around somewhere. Bought them in 2004 or so at a gunshow. Reloads. 230gr FMJ round nosed ball but for some reason my M1911A1 which will eat anything else refused to function reliably with them. After repeated odd events and failures to fire I just gave up. Still probably have 90+ out of 100 rounds that were in the bag.
One of these eons I'll bust them down for components.

Quick Reply: Marlin 1895 GBL