Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Mount for a rifle in my Jeep, Any ideas?

Old 12-11-2013, 06:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mount for a rifle in my Jeep, Any ideas?

I have an 08 JKU Rubicon. I almost always have my 30-30 in there. I have been trying to figure out a way of mounting it above the sun visors, it must be concealed. I want it secured so when playing, it doesn't come flying out and split my head open. Does anyone has any ideas?
Old 12-11-2013, 06:49 PM
JK Junkie

Where are your priorities? Woods (jeepswag) has a rack for the rear of the jeep roll bar above/ behind the rear seats to mount an axe or a highlift, I don't see why it wouldn't work for the gun.

If your priority is to keep it up front and hidden then possibly look into the tray that mounts over top of the visors (I don't recall who makes it) and see if it'll fit or if some light modification would do it.

See about a support bar between the soundbar and the windshield- you may be able to mount the gun there. The conceal is the tough part but I'm just tossing ideas out here.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2013, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lee7588
I have an 08 JKU Rubicon. I almost always have my 30-30 in there. I have been trying to figure out a way of mounting it above the sun visors, it must be concealed. I want it secured so when playing, it doesn't come flying out and split my head open. Does anyone has any ideas?
My ar is on the seat beside me.....

Do you have a hard top or soft top?

Soft top runs a little room to stretch a bar across the roll bar and mount a set of cheap atv gun grips...
Similar to this.
Kolpin® Rhino Grip XL Gun Mounts : Cabela's

Mounting them side ways or at an upward angle on the bar so the gun stays in and they are up out of the way.

It will not work with a hard top.

Other thing I've done is with no top I've ran a bar across the back and mounted them in like the back of a UTV, I have the ability of living in SD where we can run guns uncased.

Kolpin® UTV Gun Boot Bed Mount : Cabela's

Something like this but with just a strait bar and the cheap rubber grips on my 2dr

In my jku I bought these but it doesn't allow quick access.

Hatchie Bottom® Seat-Back Gun Sling/Storage : Cabela's

I've found a lot of the UTV ideas and brackets work or can be modified for a jeep....

Once my build is done I will consider my 2dr with 37 just a Polaris ranger on steroids....

Best of luck.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:59 PM
JK Newbie

I have a hard top during the winter and soft or topless during the summer. I have to have it concealed. My CCW license requires it to be. I have seen one that look like an AR soft case that had been modified, and the mag pouches were used to store sunglasses, ammo, etc.. The guy I saw that had it was at a gun range. Go figure. I like it close enough for shooting at the bacon when they might be running around.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:26 PM
JK Newbie

Default New locking gun rack is on the way

As you can see by my name I will soon be offering a locking rack for JK jeeps. Before to mods kick me out I am not selling yet. When the product development is done I will join as a sponsor. The rifle rack will not be concealed but it will be secure and lock your guns up. Let me know what you would like to see! I will have a prototype soon to show you guys but until the final product is ready to market we will make any changes needed to make the best gun rack possible.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKGunracks
As you can see by my name I will soon be offering a locking rack for JK jeeps. Before to mods kick me out I am not selling yet. When the product development is done I will join as a sponsor. The rifle rack will not be concealed but it will be secure and lock your guns up. Let me know what you would like to see! I will have a prototype soon to show you guys but until the final product is ready to market we will make any changes needed to make the best gun rack possible.
Can't wait to see what you have to offer us! Don't make us wait too long!
Old 02-23-2014, 02:56 PM
JK Newbie

The only problem I am having to make my original design work is the length of shotguns with a 28 inch barrel. My 11-87 Supermag is exactly 48 inches and my Old School 1100 is right at 50 inches long. The space between the roll bars is 47.5 inches on the two doors. I will keep working on it and keep you guys posted. Also I have a good buddy at a Middle Tennessee Jeep dealer who will take care of us. He is such a good guy that he is loaning me Jeeps to take to the engineers to make sure my contraption will work on every model. I am a retired military guy and I believe we should take care of those who take care of us. If you want to know who it is just ask and I will be glad to pass his name on to you guys. My friend is the owners step son and he will be the owner some day so he has some pull in the building.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:50 PM
JK Newbie

I had a loaner Jeep from my sponsor dealer all day and I have one more drawing to complete and then the prototype will be built next week. One piece of advice I want you guys to weigh in on is the finish on the rack. I am liking plasticote but powdercoat is also an option. The PVC plasticote will offer protection to both the Jeep and gun finish as well as help prevent any rattles that we may create. I had rattles in my vehicles and you do not have to worry about me selling you rattles! Let me know what you guys think on the finish.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:28 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely will check back for updates. My JK is primarily a hunting and off roading rig. Rifle season is in October for me.

Would love to be able to strap a couple rifles in the JK by then!

Thanks for the replies, look forward to seeing the finished product.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:13 PM
JK Newbie

Found one that no where near concealed, but is a pretty neat piece of kit for people who don't need concealment.
JK Center Rifle Mount - Gunner Fabrication
Same company that makes the door-hinge mounts.

Quick Reply: Mount for a rifle in my Jeep, Any ideas?