Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.
View Poll Results: AK-47 vs AR platform
AK-47
23.88%
AR 15, M4, M16 etc.
76.12%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

One of the biggest ongoing which gun is better. AK-47 vs. AR platforms

Old 06-03-2011, 02:30 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SPPUT
It really depends on the type of range you're on.

1 way range: AR.

2 way range: AK all the way!!!

Accuracy is more defined by pucker factor than the weapon, so robustness and stopping power wins out over exacting details in design.
Agreed 100% !!!!

Originally Posted by MrJones944
Stopping power? You now you can get an AR platform in 6.5, 6.8, 7.62, .338 50 etc etc. If you want the AK round out of an AR platform DPMS has those too. Pick your own poison but Im sold on the new piston driven AR's.
F all that. IMO the ar is not designed to be a piston gun. As someone that has had a few in his possession (including the 6.8) I have seen about every failure you can have and excessive wear inside the receiver from bolt issues.

IMO if you are in a building mp5 or other smg, city DI ar, forest/desert/jungle/unknown Id go AK all day.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I vote Ruger Mini 14!
Old 06-03-2011, 06:55 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rubiRI77
I vote Ruger Mini 14!
Was Mini 14 in the question ?
Old 06-03-2011, 07:00 PM
JK Freak

For distance .223/5.56nato will not drop as much. And the with M4 you will get a faster follow up on target due to the reduced recoil. But I also love the Ak as well.Both great firearms but if I had to chose one I would lean towards the M4
Old 06-04-2011, 01:19 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK jeepin
Was Mini 14 in the question ?
No, it wasn't. I was just having a little fun.
Also, I don't understand when ever people talk of this type of firearm - Ak's, AR's, etc. Noone ever mentions the mini 14. These are all great guns, and they all have their good points, and bad. I just think that the Ruger Mini 14 is just as capable at being a part of this conversation is all

But really I was just having some fun, and I LOVE my mini 14

Oh yeah, and of the two platforms mentioned I would probably choose AK although really I would much rather have one of each
Old 06-04-2011, 01:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SPPUT
It really depends on the type of range you're on.

1 way range: AR.

2 way range: AK all the way!!!

Accuracy is more defined by pucker factor than the weapon, so robustness and stopping power wins out over exacting details in design.
I'd have to disagree, Im more worried about how close rounds are hitting around me as to how loud they are. Just sayin. And not to toot the Veteran horn but I've experienced both.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:44 PM
JK Jedi

another great thing about the ak is I have a crap pile of AP ammo for it... The M4 I only have maybe 10 mags worth of the green tips. Really I think it boils down to knowing your weapon, maintaining your weapon, and honing your ability.

The Mozambique technique ("failure to stop" for you cops and mil guys right?) was so named over a situation between a guy with a browning pistol shooting dead a guy with an ak. Even tho he failed to hit the head he still got two in the guys chest and one in his neck just below the jaw and dropped him dead. Hard to do with an ak flaming at him. Amazing what you can do with practice.

I personally wouldnt want to bring my high power to an ak party but I also don't shoot that gun much.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey ill join this silly lill game.

All depends on what you want to do. The AR has way more user friendly controls. AK you have to manipulate the gun in weird ways and run weak hand (righty shooter) to control the safety unless you have monster mitts. Mag changes are not as fast on the AK. All the parts can be replaced just about any where.. no real winner there..

The piston AR, the LWRC can run and run and run. We did testing on that gun and dumped 4k through it and the majority was on full auto with 0 malfunctions. Also have observed very few malfunctions with student guns with LWRC. The HK416 has a bad azz piston system but it is really heavy and the receivers were braking.

I dont mind running an AR platform gas or piston. Depending on what you want to do with it. Gas for clean environments and piston for dirty ones. Both have pros and cons.

But the only way I would run an AK would be last resort or needing to use the locals for weapons, ammo, parts and fitting in...
Old 06-04-2011, 11:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by danmojo82
I'd have to disagree, Im more worried about how close rounds are hitting around me as to how loud they are. Just sayin. And not to toot the Veteran horn but I've experienced both.
Dude, we're on the same page... pucker factor refers to people's stress reaction and how it influences marksmanship.

BTW, x2 for the veteran horn
Old 06-05-2011, 12:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

AK is designed to be a squad machine gun. That is why the first selection is auto and the second is semi. Purely designed to put a lot of powerful bullets down range in a hurry. It is good for that. M-4/m-16 series rifles were designed to be very accurate and light weight. If you keep them clean they are a very effective combat rifle. Especially with CQB which is way more common now. I can't vote because I feel each weapon is solid in its own capacity. I would prefer to have both at my fingertips so that I could deal with any situation presented.

Quick Reply: One of the biggest ongoing which gun is better. AK-47 vs. AR platforms