Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

purchasing a gun, need some advice.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default purchasing a gun, need some advice.

Someone attempted to break into my boss's house a couple days ago. It really hit hard with me since I live close to them and it's the first time someone close to me has had an event like this happen. I will probably end up getting a security system and I have a dog but he is way to friendly. So I think a gun to keep close would be in my best interest to keeping the feeling of safety.

So here is where I need some advice. I have a couple shotguns and .22s but they stay at my parents house in their gun closet/safe thing. I am wanting a handgun I can keep possibly in my nightstand or desk etc. I am drawn to a revolver for some reason and I want something that packs a good punch but nothing that I can't get a steady aim with for a couple quick shots, just incase ya know. Ideas in my head were for a 357 magnum. Any suggestions along with a picture would be nice.

Although I want it mainly for safety, I want something I can have some fun with too (gun range, woods, etc) So I would like to to have some eye appeal and fun factor, not just pure function. And no crazy prices either, under $1,000 would be great. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:34 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, for a $1000 you can get just about any pistol you want. Glock & Sig Sauer both make a 357 semi auto. Both very good quality. The Texas Dept. of Public Safety issues the Sig as a duty weapon.

Sig.

Glock
Old 12-05-2007, 11:41 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Robar
Wow, for a $1000 you can get just about any pistol you want. Glock & Sig Sauer both make a 357 semi auto. Both very good quality. The Texas Dept. of Public Safety issues the Sig as a duty weapon.

Sig.

[

Glock
That's what I want!
Old 12-05-2007, 11:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Robar

Sig.

Glock
how much is one a dem.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Tarus makes some good guns at a reasonable price. 357mag is a good size for a handgun round although it gets expensive to shoot it a lot (not like a 44 though). So far I have yet to find a good all around gun. Anything I want for target shooting or hunting has too long a barrel to be concealable while anything that is concealable is not as accurate or fun for target shooting. I do have a snubnose 38special I inherited that is accurate however it is not fun to shoot being so small as I have large hands. I say all this to tell you I am sorry but there is no all around gun what is good for one thing is not always good for another. Keeping it in a drawer like you will you can go with a larger gun and you can get something in a size that fits your hand without being concerned about it being too large to conceal so your options are more open however consider the size of the drawer and ease of getting it out in a hurry when looking at guns. The best way to pick one is decide on how big (physical size not caliber) a gun you want then decide on a caliber. Once you have a maximum size and a caliber (357 is a good choice) you then need to try on quite a few as it were. Go to a good gun shop and talk with them let them know what caliber and overall size you want and let them help you by showing you several in that range. Also let them know your price range as it helps them steer clear of stuff you can't afford. Only by feel can you determine what fits your hand and then if allowed see if they have a range gun that they would not mind you firing a few rounds through to get a feel for it. Sometimes what feels good in hand will pinch when fired. In all a gun is as big a decision as picking out a vehicle and has a lot of simmilarities including doing some customizing.
ADDED: No disrespect to the auto crowd in fact I have a few myself but when it comes down to something I want to trust my life to an auto has too many moving parts and stuff that can go wrong. I have never had a revolver jam on me.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:52 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by fishit
how much is one a dem.
You could probably find one between $550 to $700.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by only_in_my_jeep
ADDED: No disrespect to the auto crowd in fact I have a few myself but when it comes down to something I want to trust my life to an auto has too many moving parts and stuff that can go wrong. I have never had a revolver jam on me.

Thats more what I am looking for, a revolver of some kind. Not that these guns y'all are showing me aren't great. Just personal taste.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by caleb
Thats more what I am looking for, a revolver of some kind. Not that these guns y'all are showing me aren't great. Just personal taste.
Caleb as I said 357 is a good choice. The money you want to keep under will open up a lot of possibilities. Look at the drawer and decide a size based on that then go find one that fits your hand. Make sure it is from a reputable manafacturer and not a knock off and you will not go wrong.
JK Jedi Master

Then look at a Smith & Wesson mod. 686. You can get a 2, 4, 6, or 8" barrel. It shoots .357 or 38 special.

JK Enthusiast

I am more interested in a revolver as well. I have never wanted a gun but now I have a 4 month old son and last month I had $3,500 worth of tools taken from my jeep in my driveway. These kinds of things make one reconsider the value of a gun.

Quick Reply: purchasing a gun, need some advice.