Notices
Jeep CJ, Jeepster & Willys Overall Jeep CJ, Jeepster and Willys technical discussion bulletin board forum. This includes pretty much most Jeeps made between 1955-1986.

cj 5 info

Old 01-18-2009, 08:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok thanks for your help
Old 01-18-2009, 11:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Most important thing to look for when buying a old CJ is look at the frame. That is the first part that will bite you in the ass on those. They rot out right where the front of the rear leaf spring mounts to the frame.

Next I would check to make sure the wiring doesn't look all mangled and is in general good shape.

Everything else you can work on.

Best of luck.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Never worked on a cj5, might pick one up this weekend.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:01 PM
JK Newbie

always on the old cj's the frame is the first place to rot,then the body.the arch going over the rear wheels is the bad place ,if you build to take offroad ,change to the leafs on a yj ,you will have better flex and softer ride. also extend the rear axle back ,and get the wide track axles ,this will make it more stable on the trails.the cj5 is the short wheel base model,but are a blast from, the past.i built mine from ground up and used 3 other jeeps for parts along the way,i have a build thread at www.jeepinusa.com .need any imfo PM me and i will help with as much as possible.

Quick Reply: cj 5 info