Notices
Jeep CJ, Jeepster & Willys Overall Jeep CJ, Jeepster and Willys technical discussion bulletin board forum. This includes pretty much most Jeeps made between 1955-1986.

My Willys Jeep Build "Noob Needs Advice"

Old 01-11-2011, 02:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeep Hound
That's nice!!!!

Do you have more photos?
Thanks! A few more...

Rear view..

Required accessories...
Old 01-11-2011, 02:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Davesrb

Thanks! A few more...

Rear view..

Required accessories...
Thats nice!
Old 01-11-2011, 03:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by johnrb3b
If you want an authentic WWII MB or GPW, you're into money, especially if you want to restore it with real NOS parts instead of reproductions.

If what you want is a reasonable copy of a military Willys or Ford that looks cool and is a hoot to drive, start with a CJ-2A and "militarize" it. You can go as authentic as you want and can afford.

Any 4 cyl flathead (L134) will work. It will mate to the drive train of any CJ before the CJ-5. So look for CJ-2A, CJ-3A and CJ-3B parts. There are differences but most of the parts are interchangeable. The 2A looks the most like an MB - split windshield, etc. so that's why you want one for a base. The 3B body is very different so only drive train parts are useful.

Google up military jeeps and you'll find a wealth of info. As already mentioned above, the g503 site is one of the best. But understand that the military sites tend to be purist and won't be that enthusiastic about a Jeep Salad approach. If that's how you want to roll, for the most help, look to the CJ-2A, CJ-3A and CJ-3B civilian sites. They'll get your Willys up and running and the military sites will help with military accessories, paint jobs and the like.

The post in this forum by GreenTJ_2_BlackJK on 6 Jan shows a good example of a poorly done Jeep Salad. It could be passed off as a 1950s M606, but only to those who know nothing about the old Willys. If you start with a CJ-2A and don't pretend it's an MB, you'll have a working Jeep that looks like one and can fulfill your MB longings for a lot less money.

Good luck.
I am not going to make it authentic. Just building a 40's MB. I am going to covert it to a 12volt system and I will be using a different carb. I'm going to turn it into a summer cruising jeep that I can also use on film sets.

Thanks for the info, some of it I already looked into but many of this is new info for me.

Thanks
Old 01-11-2011, 03:21 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Davesrb

Thanks! A few more...

Rear view..

Required accessories...
This is a beautiful looking jeep!!!!

Is this an MB frame? Remanufactured tub or a restored one?

6K is a pretty good budget

Do you have more info in your build?
Old 01-11-2011, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeep Hound
This is a beautiful looking jeep!!!!

Is this an MB frame? Remanufactured tub or a restored one?

6K is a pretty good budget

Do you have more info in your build?
Rebuilt this 15+ years ago. Almost all original MB. Some NOS, most used parts scrounged up. Some parts had to be custom built as I couldn't find them. Finding good NOS wiring was the biggest challenge!

Dave

Quick Reply: My Willys Jeep Build "Noob Needs Advice"