Notices
Jeep CJ, Jeepster & Willys Overall Jeep CJ, Jeepster and Willys technical discussion bulletin board forum. This includes pretty much most Jeeps made between 1955-1986.

new jk or old cj?

Old 05-28-2009, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CJ parts are WAY cheaper than JK parts..... GO for the CJ
Old 05-29-2009, 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dom7226
i am still looking for a new jeep. but i have been looking at some of the CJs with the 304 V8 on here and i think they are bad ass. so now im kinda thinking about waiting on a new JK and looking for a CJ to build up and play with and just getting a little car for a daily driver(until i can afford the new JK of course). this is just an idea i came up with and i was wondering am i looking at about the same amount of money or am i just way out of my league looking to get a CJ?

I have a 1981 CJ 8 Scrambler that is for sale right now for $6500. It has a brand new 360 V8, t18 4 speed and a dana 300. Its about 50% finished with a full frame off restore. You really cant go wrong with a cj!
Old 05-29-2009, 08:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

i was tossing around the idea of trading in my 07 JKU for a truck and buying a trailer and an old CJ my self. The more I thought about it though the more I realized I would rather build up my current Jeep and make it mine as opposed to buying someone elses that is already built.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:52 AM
chasm

I am lucky enough to have 4 Jeeps right now!
(CJ3A, CJ8, YJ, & JK) The JK has the best ride, hands down, on and off road. If you want comfort for long trips or a daily driver, by all means, stay with the JK.

If you like classic old school good looks, go with a flatty or CJ. In most cases, unless there have been mods, you will be dealing with a carburetor, rather stiff leaf springs, and a narrower wheel base. Long rides in the old school Jeeps are a lot harder on your kidneys than the smooth riding TJ's and JK's! The early CJ's are easy to work on and there are plenty of parts available. The great thing with all Jeeps is that you can basically build your own!
Old 06-04-2009, 04:06 PM
JK Super Freak

My neighbor has an old cj7 would make a great rock crawler project he is asking 1500. for it
Old 07-13-2009, 07:29 AM
JK Newbie

It is like everything else in life, it is all about perspective. I own a JK and just bought a 82 CJ7 for my son for 2000 bucks. I payed 19.500 for the JK and while is has a really nice ride and stereo is also has a bunch of computer crap that tries to break for you, control your gas etc..etc...

I am a driver. I don't need a vehicle thinking for me. If I did I would have bought a volvo or a bmw or some other very soft comfortable old people car. Most likely I will give the 07 jk to my son and I will put another 5 grand in my CJ and have a totally tricked out ride that turns heads everywhere it goes. The big caveat is that I am mechanically inclined. If your not then you will spend twice that much to get the same result. However even then your looking at totally custom CJ that cost you 12 grand and takes a driver to handle it properly.

Quick Reply: new jk or old cj?