Notices
Jeep CJ, Jeepster & Willys Overall Jeep CJ, Jeepster and Willys technical discussion bulletin board forum. This includes pretty much most Jeeps made between 1955-1986.

new jk or old cj?

Old 03-24-2009, 06:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new jk or old cj?

i am still looking for a new jeep. but i have been looking at some of the CJs with the 304 V8 on here and i think they are bad ass. so now im kinda thinking about waiting on a new JK and looking for a CJ to build up and play with and just getting a little car for a daily driver(until i can afford the new JK of course). this is just an idea i came up with and i was wondering am i looking at about the same amount of money or am i just way out of my league looking to get a CJ?
Old 03-24-2009, 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

It really depends on how much wheeling you want to do. If you are going to use it as a primary vehicle at all I would go with the JK. I had a 78 CJ-5 with the 304 V8 in it and it was a blast. Pics in my gallery under my avatar. I paid 4k for it and ended up selling it for the same. They can take a lot of work depending on the condition and where it has spent most of its life. If near the coast there could be lots of rust so be sure and check the frame. Perhaps if you really want a CJ without all the hassle then maybe you could get a fully restored one that would be nice for around 15k if you are lucky.

Last edited by RedRockJk4x4; 03-24-2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:28 AM
JK Freak

You won't go wrong either way! If you are not handy or mechanically inclined, then get the JK. You can (at least in Cali) still get a CJ for 4-6k then it alladds up to what you want to do with it and how you go about it! You can find highly modified trail ready CJ for 6-15k! My............$0.02!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-05-2009, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I love my JK and loved my TJ....but I think my favorite was my '84 CJ7. It only had a 4-banger, but it was a blast to drive. Only took it offroad a few times and I am sure my JK could run circles around it offroad....but still the CJ was a blast.

I would love to pickup a restored CJ as a nice Toy!

Like the others said, if its going to be your daily driver, or if you do not want to spend time working on it....go with the JK. The CJ's are a lot to keep up (but that was the fun part!), and drive like crap

My 2 cents....

Matt
Old 05-06-2009, 01:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

the jk is my first jeep and i love it. but i always remember bieng a kid and playing with toy army jeeps.

So if i could i would get a old 43-45 willys and resotre in the old army look.

so that would be a cj-2 in civillian years.

but i love my jk cause its a great offroader and a reliable daily driver.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:17 AM
Former Member

I love my CJ. I would recommend getting one, it is super easy to work on, V8 is nice. If it is ride quality and a nice daily driving vehicle get the JK, but theres just something great about cruising around in an old CJ, you dont get with a JK.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:01 AM
JK Super Freak

get a truck a trailer and the cj.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a TJ. JK is nothing but problems. CJ is nothing but problems. different ones but problems. TJ is the peak of the Jeep to me. I've had 4 tjs 1 cj-7 and 2 JKs. The TJs were the most fun of them all and the most dependable vehicles I've ever owned. The CJ would be my second choice. It is a classic and worth all the issues you may have. then the JK last.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would love a CJ no doubt. However, people tend to only remember to good memories. Rough ride, etc. If your doing anything other than a Sunday drive get the JK..

damn, wish I had both JK to ride for the week and CJ for a stroll on Sunday
Old 05-26-2009, 06:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bustabizz
I love my CJ. I would recommend getting one, it is super easy to work on, V8 is nice. If it is ride quality and a nice daily driving vehicle get the JK, but theres just something great about cruising around in an old CJ, you dont get with a JK.

What he said

Quick Reply: new jk or old cj?