Notices
Jeep TJ & YJ Wrangler Overall Jeep TJ & YJ Wrangler technical discussion bulletin board forum. This includes all Jeep Wranglers made between 1987-2006 and includes models such as the Unlimited, Rubicon, Sahara, Sport and X.

Death wobble

Old 03-23-2014, 02:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death wobble

Will loose front shocks cause death wooble?
Old 03-24-2014, 04:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Probably not. I went through hell with death wobble, nearly replaced nearly everything that can go bad. Been death wobble free for about a year now, hopefully it doesn't come back. I experienced death wobble a few times in Hawaii where the speed limit is 55 and most people drive slow. I can't imagine how bad it would be here in California while going 70. :/ Are you getting death wobble or a shimmy? You pretty much have to stop to make death wobble go away and in my case I nearly shit my pants the first time I experienced it. I still get nervous sometimes lol driving a Jeep will never be the same post death wobble.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:49 AM
JK Newbie

ok so had everything checked everything is tight and torqued to spec wheel bearings are good, tie rods are good, but when doing the dry steer test the track bar on the frame side goes up and down about a millimeter. but is tight. My front sway bar slides side to side about .75 of an inch? is that normal?
Old 03-31-2014, 11:03 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jkRich
ok so had everything checked everything is tight and torqued to spec wheel bearings are good, tie rods are good, but when doing the dry steer test the track bar on the frame side goes up and down about a millimeter. but is tight. My front sway bar slides side to side about .75 of an inch? is that normal?
Your trackbar ends shouldn't move at all. Maybe the bolt holes have ovaled out causing it to have play. Have you tried using a larger diameter bolt?
Old 03-31-2014, 11:16 AM
JK Newbie

Well its on my Lj it has a tie rod end there.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:00 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jkRich
Well its on my Lj it has a tie rod end there.
So does the one on my jk, but the bolt and/or the joint should not have any play in it.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:48 PM
JK Newbie

It's fixed put a new adjustable track bar on no more dw. ..

Quick Reply: Death wobble