Notices
Jeep TJ & YJ Wrangler Overall Jeep TJ & YJ Wrangler technical discussion bulletin board forum. This includes all Jeep Wranglers made between 1987-2006 and includes models such as the Unlimited, Rubicon, Sahara, Sport and X.

TJ Considerations

Old 12-16-2012, 07:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TJ Considerations

My wife and I are looking forward to buying our first Jeep very soon, but are also committed to living debt free. After looking at the cost of a new JK, we are considering a used TJ. Although I'm familiar with the JK's, I am not familiar with the pros & cons of a TJ. We will use it as a DD, with occasional off roading. Our budget limit is $17.5k and since retiring from the Army in July, want to enjoy a new hobby together. Thanks ahead of time for your help!!
Old 12-17-2012, 03:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TJs are great...many would argue they are the last of the "true" Jeep.

If I were to do it over again I would puchase a "LJ". To me they have the perfect wheelbase and that little bit of extra room for your gear.

In my opinion the best Pro would be the inline 6 cylinder engine...they last forever and make incredible torque.

The only downside to a TJ would be the lack of creature comforts...IMO the JK went overboard in this department. I mean it's a Jeep right, not a Cadillac.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:32 AM
JK Newbie

That's a good point about the LJ as we always need more room when we travel.

What about things to look for on a used LJ/TJ that would be a red flag, i.e recalls, systemic problems, etc.?
Old 12-22-2012, 03:13 PM
JK Newbie

Only red flags would be your typical used car stuff... serious accidents etc.

Just make sure you get the 4.0 inline 6 cylinder (as mentioned above). They are bullet proof and will last a long time.

In your price range you should easily be able to find a very capable TJ or LJ. The LJ's are still a little pricier... harder to find too.

Best of luck. You will have a blast with it!
Old 12-23-2012, 06:43 AM
JK Newbie

Consider Looking at other forms, like ********* or Wrangler form. These sites will help you determine which TJ models to buy in which to avoid. The earlier TJ models are extremely nice because of the limited maintenance necessary the 03's through 06 are different but you get the added benefit of the LJ and Rubicon's. What I learned when starting my TJ search: if you want automatic trans, early models use the 32rh, the 03-06 use a different trans that has problems and is geared way too high. The manuals should be good throughout the TJ line. 2000-2001 began a new head casting (0331) and was prone to crack if overheated. Fixed in 02 with improved casting. 2005-2006 have a OPDA problem. Oil pump drive assembly. Read up on that, it's a maintenance issue that was never recalled. Simple fix for a guy who can turn a wrench, left untouched it accelerates wear on cam shaft gear. Other minor issues specific to model.
I'm like you, debt free by design. No payments!
If I did it over, I would look for 97-99 at a low price not modded too much or too rough. The reason is you will be WAY under your budget with cash for things you will replace/upgrade anyway.
My 3 month long search turned up a 2002 sport model with 55k on odo. 6 cyl auto with soft top and half doors and factory Dana 44 rear axle. I bought it that day.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:56 AM
JK Freak

I've had a 07 and now have a 12 JKU Rubicon. But I also purchased a 2001 TJ for the sons graduation in 2010. We gave it a 3" lift with 32 " tires, 4 kc lights, and new soft top. Well on April 1st this year he rolled it. So I have taken it over and recently purchased a rust free body for $150. used control arms for $60.00, I'm going to paint it and re build it myself. I am finding working on the Tj much cheaper and very fun to mod. However traveling any length of time is not fun in the TJ. The JK is way more comfortable and capable on and off road.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:58 PM
JK Newbie

I'm actually trying to sell my TJ so we can get a JKUR! Hit me up if interested...2006, 4.0, 6sp, OBA, stereo with subs, lots of extras...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4026001835.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	411873  
Old 01-20-2013, 06:59 PM
JK Newbie

Oh, and 22k miles. Pm for more pics, in Las Vegas nv.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:30 PM
JK Newbie

I had a 2004 TJ and loved it. It was a second vehicle at the time because I needed a heavy duty pick-up at the time. I sold it for financial reasons....Wish I never had......TD
Old 03-01-2013, 08:46 AM
JK Freak

I had a 98 tj pretty much stock, needed a truck, so I had to sell it . Few years later, really did not the truck much, so I bought an 07 Rubi modded pretty good, and a trailer as a truck. Things have changed again, and I really need the power and capacity of a truck, so now the jk is sold , and we are back in a truck. Now, I am looking for a cheap used tj or xj, or maybe a willys or maybe a cj I'm getting confused! Either way, now we want an older jeep that will be basically a trail jeep/weekend hotrod.

Quick Reply: TJ Considerations