Notices
Jeeping Lifestyle Post your wheeling adventures and JK trail experiences!

air compressor

Old 05-31-2018, 09:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air compressor

I'm beginning to look for an on board air compressor. If they made just one, it would be much easier to pick. I don't want to spend so much money that I could have bought new wheels and tires but on the other hand I don't want one that is going to take me an hour to air-up either. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:17 AM
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ARB is the way to go!
Old 05-31-2018, 11:44 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by Taurus709Slim
I don't want to spend so much money that I could have bought new wheels and tires but on the other hand I don't want one that is going to take me an hour to air-up either. .
You are not going to find the perfect answer on this one. Arb CKMTA12 was the answer for me. Hated paying for it, no regrets. Every time I use it I'm thankful to have it. For some the answer is CO2, and for others it's cheap Harbor Freight compressors rigged up various ways.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

What resharp001 said. I've got the same compressor (CKMTA12)... it's very reliable and fast. I was lucky to find mine in a store that sells returned items for $100. It had some broken parts. I contacted ARB and got the repair parts for $50 and all works.

As for a compressor, I think a couple things for you to consider. First, do you REALLY need one? How often will you use it? What size tire (max that you'll eventually run? I thought 35, now I'm on 37s and considering 40s). Also look at duty cycles. The first one I purchased (VAIR) wasn't 100% duty cycle and so it would overheat (because I ended up airing friends' tires as well) and I would have to let it cool down while using it.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I went with the ARB CMKA12, (half of the one mentioned above) since I'm never planning on running air tools, and I'm not planning on putting anything bigger than 35s on until the compressor will have long since died. For me it was the best compromise between the capabilities I needed and the space it would gobble up under the hood. For airing up stock Rubi KMs and even 35s its pretty great. Plus, its like $250 cheaper than the twin. Either way, I don't think you can go wrong.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:04 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by MountainWhisky
I'm never planning on running air tools
Even with the dual, running air tools isn't really an option. Even with a decent size tank, it's just not worthwhile at all. I will say though, I aired up with someone with the same 37 Nitto TGs as I have, both from 11/12psi to 28psi. They had the single, I have the dual.......I think I was wrapping up my 3rd tire by the time they finished with the first. Some of that might have been my method of clipping on the chuck and watching TPMS vs. sitting there pulling it off and checking pressure with a gauge a few times, but still. In the end though, when looking at compressors for airing up.....duty cycle is more important than time if you ask me. If it takes a few extra minutes cuz compressor is smaller and not as fast, that's not a big deal. What does suck though is having to stop and wait 15 mins for a little portable compressor to cool down.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read good things about this one Overland Pro's
Old 06-08-2018, 11:22 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Even with the dual, running air tools isn't really an option. Even with a decent size tank, it's just not worthwhile at all. I will say though, I aired up with someone with the same 37 Nitto TGs as I have, both from 11/12psi to 28psi. They had the single, I have the dual.......I think I was wrapping up my 3rd tire by the time they finished with the first. Some of that might have been my method of clipping on the chuck and watching TPMS vs. sitting there pulling it off and checking pressure with a gauge a few times, but still. In the end though, when looking at compressors for airing up.....duty cycle is more important than time if you ask me. If it takes a few extra minutes cuz compressor is smaller and not as fast, that's not a big deal. What does suck though is having to stop and wait 15 mins for a little portable compressor to cool down.
I guess I should have been more specific, the buddy of mine who has it has only really used it with an impact gun. Super useful for trailside fixes, especially if you're lazy like we are, but you're right that it isnt going to replace a shop compressor.

The important part is that 37s with the single is insanity..... If you're planning on going that big, you ought to suck it up and buy the bigger compressor.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:32 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by MountainWhisky
, the buddy of mine who has it has only really used it with an impact gun. Super useful for trailside fixes, especially if you're lazy like we are, but you're right that it isnt going to replace a shop compressor..
That is still impressive. From my "tests", not good for anything other than blowing some dirt out of the cab, or running a pneumatic air ratchet to help remove a bolt that has already been broken loose. Fortunately I didn't buy it with any intention other than filling tires in the middle of nowhere. Did your buddy have a tank hooked up?
Old 06-08-2018, 01:41 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
That is still impressive. From my "tests", not good for anything other than blowing some dirt out of the cab, or running a pneumatic air ratchet to help remove a bolt that has already been broken loose. Fortunately I didn't buy it with any intention other than filling tires in the middle of nowhere. Did your buddy have a tank hooked up?
Yep! A 10gal from the Home Despot. Worked well enough to pop the front wheels off, replace the tie rod which was broken in half (the beauty of two jeeps) and then retorque to spec(ish). I dont think it would get a pinion bearing nut off, even with the right gun, but it was more than good enough for our needs.

Quick Reply: air compressor