Notices
Jeeping Lifestyle Post your wheeling adventures and JK trail experiences!

Anyone else beach jeeping here

Old 04-19-2016, 06:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else beach jeeping here

Hi. We live at the beach and are very fortunate to have a few trails on the beach. Being a noob to this I have taken her out a couple times now, and learned a few things as noobs do.

Anyway, I wanted to ask if anyone here also does a lot of beach trailing, and if there were any good videos out there on the dos and don't with our JKs?

Me? I learned not to ride with the 4H and gunning it through (relatively) flat sand. Got the bells and whistles "HOT OIL" warning. Damn newbie. *slaps head*

Had to wait for another JK driving by to ask how to put her into 4L, yeah yeah, don't judge.

Also, learned to deflate tires! Always!

I am learning man. I am learning. Just wanted to see if anyone else had some good tips, or video recommendations?
Old 04-19-2016, 07:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hey! I have been a Freeman Park several times. Glad to hear you are enjoying the Jeep.
I can't offer up any advice that you haven't already learned......haha.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello to another Carolina Beacher!
Old 04-19-2016, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I'm north of you in Moyock but really, down there, just air down and enjoy. The 4l will keep you from burning up your trans. I've had my jeep on the beaches there in Corolla for 5 years now and another 2 years in a TJ beforehand.

"Air down" is relative too. I don't always air down when I get there and you'll find that's dependent upon the weather. If there's no rain and it's super hot then you'll need to air down more frequently.

Get yourself a good snatch strap, or kinetic rope. Those will make recoveries easier. I've got a 50' rope and it's probably a little long but I won't be caught in the same soft sand as someone I'm pulling.

Best piece of advice- get good rubber floor mats or bedline the tub. The carpet doesn't let go of the sand and you'll never get it all out.

Edit- I see you've got an earlier jeep. Check to see if you've got a trans cooler. If not, install one.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bymoosek
Hey! I have been a Freeman Park several times. Glad to hear you are enjoying the Jeep.
I can't offer up any advice that you haven't already learned......haha.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello to another Carolina Beacher!

Hey, Nice to meet you bymoosek! We go down to the south end at Fort Fisher. The beach is 10 times better and longer.

We just got back and this time (after letting the air down to around 13 psi) and 4L, it was smooth sailing!
Old 04-19-2016, 05:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk

Get yourself a good snatch strap, or kinetic rope. Those will make recoveries easier. I've got a 50' rope and it's probably a little long but I won't be caught in the same soft sand as someone I'm pulling.

Best piece of advice- get good rubber floor mats or bedline the tub. The carpet doesn't let go of the sand and you'll never get it all out.

Edit- I see you've got an earlier jeep. Check to see if you've got a trans cooler. If not, install one.

Thanks karls10jk. I'll have to look into the kinetic rope. I was looking into those MAXTRAX things today too, from Austraila. Oh I already got the Best Top rubber molded mats all around. They are great!

I've got a 2010. DO 2010s not have trans coolers? I'll have to look into it. Thanks!
Old 04-20-2016, 12:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jealous of your beach trail, should be total fun. Tried short beach run couple of times and enjoyed it much.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default suggestive

A couple suggestions learned the hard way, carry a small shovel and don't stop going uphill.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by mocha.zombie
Thanks karls10jk. I'll have to look into the kinetic rope. I was looking into those MAXTRAX things today too, from Austraila. Oh I already got the Best Top rubber molded mats all around. They are great!

I've got a 2010. DO 2010s not have trans coolers? I'll have to look into it. Thanks!
All 2010's do not have the cooler. None of the manuals have them and I don't believe they were standard until 2012.

Maxxtraxx are a decent idea but don't go dropping the money on them yet. I think you'll find they're overkill for the area. Look into "Oregon Inlet Idiots" and you'll see what the absolute worst of that area looks like. It's not like that every day.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:40 PM
JK Newbie

I'd suggest turning off overdrive also. That seems to help minimize the "hot oil" message.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Beaches are limited to 35 mph max here and it's 15mph around people so the overdrive, albeit a good idea, doesn't pertain to these beaches. 4lo helps to keep the tranny cool but the cooler should help significantly.

Quick Reply: Anyone else beach jeeping here