Notices
Jeeping Lifestyle Post your wheeling adventures and JK trail experiences!

What are you using to find trails?

Old 01-29-2019, 07:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are you using to find trails?

So I am new to the area (Boise, ID), and new to Jeeps (like 2 weeks in with my 2010JKU). How are you all finding out about local trails? Any sites or apps that I can use to find some trails around me?

Thanks!

Mike
Old 01-29-2019, 07:38 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Using a search engine with the text: Idaho Jeep Trails will get you started. Next is paper maps, and possibly google earth. Some of the best places will not be found on the internet or books because interesting or historical sites get ruined, I've seen that first hand. Some of the best times to be had are searching remote areas, the more remote the better. Another idea is to ask around for someone that knows an area well and see if they'll reveal a hidden gem. Lastly, my advice is to not post gps coordinates or similar details -- Share carefully.

Old 01-30-2019, 04:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not familiar with your area and I am relatively new to Jeep scene (8/2018), I have been getting it setup and taking care of issues first. However, I have been in the Polaris RZR side by side scene for a while and the trail search and navigation is very similar. To begin with I used forums and a site riderplanet (yes atv only, but some will allow jeeps too). With this I discovered national forest and other areas. National Forest are widely scattered throughout the USA, be sure to investigate their rules and limitations.

With that said, here is what I use and being incorporated into my Jeep. Samsung Tab 4 with Back Country Navigator and Avenze Maps. BCN is very helpful showing where you have been and will help you get out. It does not require cell service, background (aerial areas and be downloaded for free when you have WiFi and saved. Takes some time to figure the workings, guides are available to gain and assist with working knowledge. I went this route as it was the most popular with the UTV crowd and many would distribute their trail GPX file (saved trails and points exchange file) that overlay on your saved background aerial. Avenze was helpful in National Forest as they already have georeferenced PDF files available for free. PDF is the background, with trails and some sort of designation of trails/roads and your current location is depicted on the PDF. This setup only works on Android based devices. There are options that work for Apple, but I am not familiar with them and Apple WiFi only tablets require external GPS antenna, android devices are built in for most all of them.

Used android tablets are inexpensive, just ensure it has decent memory and can utilize added memory, as aerial backgrounds require a lot of memory to be stored on your device. These programs will run on your phone too, but it's not so easy to navigate with a small screen.

7" Tab 4 ebay - +/- $70
BCN Pro $9.99, trial version runs for 30 days, not all functions available, and is free
Aerial backgrounds USGS free
Avenza - free

Going the Garmin route can be a lot more expensive and all of the different area maps are purchased separately. I have used these for fishing for years and saved the database for fishing spots in a file for transfer and backup.

Research will get you in the area, part of the adventure is finding these on your own. The equipment and software will help you save it and get you back.

Last edited by Cobra Gt; 01-30-2019 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mr.T
Using a search engine with the text: Idaho Jeep Trails will get you started. Next is paper maps, and possibly google earth. Some of the best places will not be found on the internet or books because interesting or historical sites get ruined, I've seen that first hand. Some of the best times to be had are searching remote areas, the more remote the better. Another idea is to ask around for someone that knows an area well and see if they'll reveal a hidden gem. Lastly, my advice is to not post gps coordinates or similar details -- Share carefully.

I hear that, the stuff I found online has been pretty hit or miss. And since I am new to the area I don't know many people :( I know all the good spots back in CA though I am looking around at some local jeep clubs too, so I am hoping thats a good route to go.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:42 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Cobra Gt
I am not familiar with your area and I am relatively new to Jeep scene (8/2018), I have been getting it setup and taking care of issues first. However, I have been in the Polaris RZR side by side scene for a while and the trail search and navigation is very similar. To begin with I used forums and a site riderplanet (yes atv only, but some will allow jeeps too). With this I discovered national forest and other areas. National Forest are widely scattered throughout the USA, be sure to investigate their rules and limitations.

With that said, here is what I use and being incorporated into my Jeep. Samsung Tab 4 with Back Country Navigator and Avenza Maps. BCN is very helpful showing where you have been and will help you get out. It does not require cell service, background (aerial areas and be downloaded for free when you have WiFi and saved. Takes some time to figure the workings, guides are available to gain and assist with working knowledge. I went this route as it was the most popular with the UTV crowd and many would distribute their trail GPX file (saved trails and points exchange file) that overlay on your saved background aerial. Avenza was helpful in National Forest as they already have georeferenced PDF files available for free. PDF is the background, with trails and some sort of designation of trails/roads and your current location is depicted on the PDF. This setup only works on Android based devices. There are options that work for Apple, but I am not familiar with them and Apple WiFi only tablets require external GPS antenna, android devices are built in for most all of them.

Used android tablets are inexpensive, just ensure it has decent memory and can utilize added memory, as aerial backgrounds require a lot of memory to be stored on your device. These programs will run on your phone too, but it's not so easy to navigate with a small screen.

7" Tab 4 ebay - +/- $70
BCN Pro $9.99, trial version runs for 30 days, not all functions available, and is free
Aerial backgrounds USGS free
Avenza - free

Going the Garmin route can be a lot more expensive and all of the different area maps are purchased separately. I have used these for fishing for years and saved the database for fishing spots in a file for transfer and backup.

Research will get you in the area, part of the adventure is finding these on your own. The equipment and software will help you save it and get you back.
Great advice, I will check out the BCN/Avenza, that sounds pretty awesome.

I think our first trip is going to be to the Jordan Lava Fields south of the Treasure Valley. I know as soon as you leave the highway its all dirt from there. Probably a good easy route to start with. I did see some good backroads from Boise > Lucky Peak Resevoir, so probably another good one. Just want a shakdown run to see what falls loose since the JK has 117k on the clock.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:36 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

The gaia app on your phone is pretty good to see what others have done (gaiaapp.com), but it's not limited to 4x4 trails so a lot might show up and they're hiking or whatnot. Trails Offroad is a really good website for a lot of areas, but glancing at Idaho......doesn't seem like they have good coverage there. Same for www.traildamage.com which is more UT and CO based. I also like www.alltrails.com, but that is typically better for hiking than for offroading.

I tend to agree that the best source might be local clubs. Kinda has me thinking....what IS the wheeling like in Idaho?
Old 01-30-2019, 11:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

National Parks in your area seem to be abundant with Jeep Trails. My guess there will be many Jeep Clubs as well. Printed Motor Vehicle Use Maps are available at Ranger Stations for free, and download versions into Avenza (Android) or (Apple) through those apps. This will let you know which trails your Jeep is allowed on and which it is not. Looks like a vast area to be explored. For Floridians, we must travel 6-8 hours to find anything like mountains to ride.

Last edited by Cobra Gt; 01-30-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:35 PM
JK Newbie

Awesome stuff. I downloaded Gaia, BackCountry Pro and Aventza. Also joined a local Boise Jeep group that has 3k members. Time to get to researchin!
Old 01-30-2019, 11:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Joining an Off Road club was the best thing you could have done. Most clubs
will have all that knowledge and experience. Also it is safer and more fun to
ride with with a group.

Be warned it could get expensive after seeing more built rigs go over
stuff you never dreamed of and say "I want to do that" ......LOL

Quick Reply: What are you using to find trails?