Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

*Official* Cobra 75 user review and feedback thread

Old 09-14-2011, 04:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the cobra 75 and I have a 3 ft tunable firefly mounted to the spare tire carrier using the cooltechllc mount and a ground strap. I have found the volume fine for driving on the trail so far. I don't use it on the highway (at least I haven't yet).
Old 09-14-2011, 04:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MFX
The major complaint I gather is the sound volume. I have the infinity system, so would I be able to run a 3.5 stereo plug from the junction box to the stock HU when needed?
Yes and it's awesome! Even better, get two stereo cables and one Y cable, then you can keep your iPod or whatever plugged in while your cb is too. There is a thread about it somewhere I'll see if I can find it...

Here you go: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...d-amp-Cobra-CB

Last edited by BLK08JK; 09-14-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:26 PM
JK Newbie

I have used the 75 for years with no real problems. I find it easy to inadvertently change channels and volume just by handling the handset (since it's all there) during use. I do like that it's easy to unhook and hideaway.

Really the CB is only as good as it's antenna. An awesome CB with a crap antenna setup will stink while a cheap CB with a great antenna will shine. There are a few good CB retailers out there that can be real helpful. Check these articles out - http://www.jeepfan.com/tech/cb-anten...onsiderations/ and http://firestik.com/Tech_Docs/choosing.htm
Old 09-14-2011, 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a chance to pick one up with a 4' whip antannae thats 4 months old. $75 good price?
Old 09-15-2011, 05:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rokklymer
I have a chance to pick one up with a 4' whip antannae thats 4 months old. $75 good price?
Sounds like a good deal to me.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:38 PM
JK Newbie

I've had mine 2+ years and no problems other that the about 1" of the jacket on the coiled cable disintegrated exposing all the internal wires. I taped it up. Tried the external speaker but found it was not better than the internal and took up space. Good range and people complement me on the voice quality.

Mike
Old 10-05-2011, 12:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by FireTrail741
Which external speaker did you use? Thanks!
I initially used the Uniden speaker that came with the package deal, but was unimpressed so I used it for something else.

This last weekend I put in a MFJ 281 from Ham Radio Outlet. It improved the intelligibility on the crappier signals. I also put a low pass filter I scavenged from a stereo speaker that I had. Cut down the static background a bit. I haven't tried it with on the trail communication yet but I was monitoring CH6 and all the horrendous noise on it from the skip conditions. It made an improvement.

Mike

Quick Reply: *Official* Cobra 75 user review and feedback thread