Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

2 meter firestik 5/8 wave

Old 10-08-2011, 07:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

found 2 issues,the biggest being with the cool tech gatemount and the 2 meter firestick . the firestik 2 meter is thicker than the cb antenna so its actually touching the back of the spare. that was the biggest culprit.

taking the spare off saw the swr drop under 2.

while some slight touching on cb doesnt seem to have any effect the tire effects the swr bigtime.

its also about 1-1/2 inches to long so i cut it. ill have to do something else for 2 meters,the spare destroys the swr as soon as it touches.

im looking into other ideas now for vhf/uhf

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-08-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Another Option

I installed two Arizona Rocky Road antenna mounts on my tailgate. The base of each mount attaches to the sides of the spare tire mount using existing holes and bolts. They are easy to install. The top of the antenna mount is level with the bottom of the third brake light case, and well above the spare tire itself. If the antenna touching the spare tire is causing 2m SWR problems, this will eliminate it. I recommend that you check out their website.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:25 AM
JK Newbie

thanks i will. this worked out okay for cb but its just to sensitive on 2-meters to have thee spare touching it.

i tried to find a way to switch from both uhf/vhf and cb with one antenna mount but it failed to work as planned.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Desert Fox
I installed two Arizona Rocky Road antenna mounts on my tailgate. The base of each mount attaches to the sides of the spare tire mount using existing holes and bolts. They are easy to install. The top of the antenna mount is level with the bottom of the third brake light case, and well above the spare tire itself. If the antenna touching the spare tire is causing 2m SWR problems, this will eliminate it. I recommend that you check out their website.
my question is this.

it looks like the holes in the bracket on the arizona are the same 3/8 that i have in the cooltech. i would really prefer to use my diamond 7500 which is a uhf/so239 mount.

do the uhf base mounts fit using that 3/8 hole in the brackets?
Old 10-09-2011, 05:13 PM
JK Newbie

Default Mounting Location vhf/uhf Dual Band Antenna

I experienced the same high SWR readings when I attempted installation of my dual band (Diamond 7500) antenna on the spare tire mounting bracket. The loading coil in the base of the antenna did not like the closeness to the tail gate and the rear glass defrost heating elements. I move mine to the front windshield using an aftermarket driving light bracket. Success, SWR 1.1:1. The hood is a much needed rf ground plane. Also, easy location when it is necessary to fold the antenna when entering low clearance areas. KG0LL Andy Hoffee
Old 10-09-2011, 07:24 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Andy Hoffee
I experienced the same high SWR readings when I attempted installation of my dual band (Diamond 7500) antenna on the spare tire mounting bracket. The loading coil in the base of the antenna did not like the closeness to the tail gate and the rear glass defrost heating elements. I move mine to the front windshield using an aftermarket driving light bracket. Success, SWR 1.1:1. The hood is a much needed rf ground plane. Also, easy location when it is necessary to fold the antenna when entering low clearance areas. KG0LL Andy Hoffee
Good idea with the light bracket. I too was going to suggest a lip mount on the hood itself just in front of the driver's door.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default There are two options

As I remember, the Arizona Rocky Road mounts come with the option of two different sized mounting holes.
- One is for CB antennas, and is a perfect fit, and

- The second is second size is for 2m or multi-band HAM antennas

I have one of each mount. My CB antenna is on the left and my 2m/70cm in the right it's a
Diamond NR770HNM0B.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:45 AM
JK Newbie

after spending hours trying to find out why the swr was so high with the firestik 2 meter antenna i took my 19" little larson mag mount ,plunked it on the side of the hood and it tuned perfectly and hit all the repeaters i wanted to. .

i may just use that lightweight little antenna and just find a way to get the coax inside on the drivers side.

Quick Reply: 2 meter firestik 5/8 wave