Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Antenna Mount.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antenna Mount.

Does anyone have the Firestik MKM2 mount? (I plan on locating it between my taillight and the spare tire.)
If so how do you like it?
Would you recommend it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	001-4.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	479558

I want to be able to use my CB Radio for traveling and not just for off-roading so I want to locate the antenna somewhere I'll get good distance and I've heard between the tailgate and the spare tire is a BIG NO NO. So I'm looking at other options. Ideas and suggestions well appreciated.

KCCO
Jorge
Old 07-19-2013, 07:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Lots of people out it between the tire and gate, can't see why it's a big no no, but I could be wrong
Old 07-19-2013, 07:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MojaveJK
Lots of people out it between the tire and gate, can't see why it's a big no no, but I could be wrong
It's not bad for trails BUT from what I have read it limits your distance. So it's good for trails and short distance, I want to be able to use it when I'm on road trips as well so a little more distance is needed.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 2010jeepsport

It's not bad for trails BUT from what I have read it limits your distance. So it's good for trails and short distance, I want to be able to use it when I'm on road trips as well so a little more distance is needed.
I don't see how it affects the distance it can travel
Old 07-19-2013, 08:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have mine mounted between the tailgate and spare with no issues on reception.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rtittsworth
I have mine mounted between the tailgate and spare with no issues on reception.
Ya I'm no cb expert , but I can't see what the diffidence would be within like 2 ft from one spot to the other
Old 07-20-2013, 08:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MojaveJK
Ya I'm no cb expert , but I can't see what the diffidence would be within like 2 ft from one spot to the other
with jeeps on the same trail and relatively close it makes not difference, but as distance increase it makes a lot of difference. At a recent event that had a guided night trail run with 40 jeeps, i was right in front of the tail gunner. He could not hear or talk to the lead jeep with his antenna on the tire carrier but I was crystal clear with mine mounted to the rear side.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by filthy-Beast
with jeeps on the same trail and relatively close it makes not difference, but as distance increase it makes a lot of difference. At a recent event that had a guided night trail run with 40 jeeps, i was right in front of the tail gunner. He could not hear or talk to the lead jeep with his antenna on the tire carrier but I was crystal clear with mine mounted to the rear side.
Ah, so can anyone explain why this is ?
Old 07-20-2013, 08:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

It is because the signal can't travel through the wheel and gate. It deflects the signal back into the antenna. Ideally you want the antenna high enough on the body line that it won't have any interference. The hard top should not affect it too badly
Old 07-20-2013, 09:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by evoviii2jk
It is because the signal can't travel through the wheel and gate. It deflects the signal back into the antenna. Ideally you want the antenna high enough on the body line that it won't have any interference. The hard top should not affect it too badly
Ah kk sounds good

Quick Reply: Antenna Mount.