Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Any Cobra 75 problems?

Old 10-22-2007, 03:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Cobra 75 problems?

I was all hot for a Cobra 75 and called a local CB shop to get one installed. The guy at the shop says they won't stock that particular unit anymore. He said the earlier ones were fine but lately they've been not so good and cobra has been holdin back on warrenty claims. Now he carries other Cobras so I guess overall they're good. I would like to get this unit but if this is true I'll steer clear. What's your experience. Also lookin at the cobra 148.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:06 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you'll find there are a very large number of people on this forum that have the Cobra 75WXST, and I haven't heard of any major complaints to date. I too have one and haven't had a single problem.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Take a look at the Midland 75-822 CB radio. My buddy just bought one for his Jeep and loves it. It's kind of along the lines of the Cobra 75 WXST but can actually be used like a handheld on foot and mounted in your Jeep. It can connect to a mobile CB antenna mounted on your vehicle or use the included "rubber ducky" type antenna. It sounds great but if you really want to transmit a decent distance you'll want a mobile vehicle antenna. Works fine for close convoy type talking - crystal clear.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

There were two people in my club that had a problem with these. Specifically, they would receive, but not transmit. Sometimes this would go away after hours of use. It could have been something loose on the internal board. But, it was frustrating to them when they couldn't transmit until hours into a day of wheeling.

I still bought one of these despite this because others have posted that they've had no problems. I just don't want a big box in the jeep interior. The overhead mounting seems really dangerous in an accident (especially since I'm tall). Hopefully this unit will give me good service along with it's stealthy mounting. If not, I'll rip it out and put in an old box unit.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

I purchased this unit from a seller on Ebay (with good feedback).The install went well thanks to the write up on here,but my unit wont recieve.It`ll transmit -or at least I think it will as I have full bars when transmitting,and I can get the local weather channels loud and clear,but all I hear is static on CB.I`ve adjusted my squelch,checked & re-checked the wiring.Even had a local jeeper friend bring over his SWR meter.couldn`t make it work.I even drove to Radioshack and bought another coax and just hooked it up to see if it was bad cacle to no avail.Sometimes I can hear static,sometimes nothin'.I thought about trying to send it back but you know how that`l go Anyway,it`s interesting to know I`m not alone.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Crux,
If it was a new one or sealed in the box send it to Cobra. I bought mine off of ebay and had trouble with it. I contacted Cobra and they fixed it for me. Works great. Mine would not transmit.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bert338
Crux,
If it was a new one or sealed in the box send it to Cobra. I bought mine off of ebay and had trouble with it. I contacted Cobra and they fixed it for me. Works great. Mine would not transmit.
I may have to try that.Thanx man
Old 11-01-2007, 01:22 PM
JK Newbie

Cobra 75...no problems what so ever. I bought online thru Cobra.

Quick Reply: Any Cobra 75 problems?