Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Basic CB radio buyers guide

Old 09-01-2012, 10:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basic CB radio buyers guide

This guide is a basic comparison of pros and cons of the readily available and most popular CB’s among Jeepers. This is just to answer some of the most common questions. It does not cover all radios by any means. All of these radios are 4 watts. The antenna is what makes the difference in distance. Noise cancelling microphones are a plus in noisy rigs especially you travel the highway with a group to wheeling spots. Keep in mind that some limitations can be addressed by those that are so inclined. Most of this is for those new to off-roading and just want to be able to talk with the group they ride with.

FULL SIZE RADIOS:
PROS: most features, usually include SWR meter, best sound quality
CONS: large chassis can be obtrusive to some
These radios will have the best sound quality and all the features you could reasonably want in a CB. The newer LCD radios give a modern non-trucker look but can be difficult to mount in a way that doesn’t stand out. Mounting them in a compartment or under a seat makes using the features you chose the radio for difficult.

Midland 9001z
Cobra 29LX also other 29 series
Uniden 880 also 980 and all PC78 series
Galaxy 929 also 919, 939, 949, 959, 979

MID SIZE RADIOS:
PROS: smaller than full size radios, similar/same sound quality as a full size
CONS: less features than a full size, usually does not have a built in SWR meter, can still be obtrusive compared to other options
These radios are a compromise between full size and compact radios. The sound quality is as good as the full size units with a slightly smaller and easier to mount chassis. There are a few features that are removed such as the SWR meter and a few others. Overall these are for those that want a higher end radio but just can’t squeeze the full size chassis in the desired mounting area.

Midland 5001z
Cobra 25LX also other 25 series
Uniden 680 and all PC68 series

COMPACT RADIOS:
PROS: small and easy to mount, can be hidden for security, most affordable
CONS: the least features, no SWR meter, poor sound quality
These radios can be mounted almost anywhere. Do enough searching the web and you will find all kinds of mounting ideas. Due to the small size and low cost, the speakers and microphones are generally poor quality. This can usually be addressed with an external speaker and noise cancelling microphone but to most trail riders it works well enough not to bother. If you have never had a better radio and only get for the trail I doubt you’ll even notice.

Midland 1001WX also 1001Z and CB1
Uniden PRO505XL also PRO510XL and PRO520XL
Cobra 19 DX IV also 18 WX ST II (close to DIN size can be mounted with a DIN size radio in a double DIN dash opening)

SUBCOMPACT/HANDHELD:
PROS: easy to mount or install, best for security, not obtrusive at all, least interior modification, can be removed with little if any evidence it was there
CONS: small speaker and microphone are not the best quality or limited by size, small display can be difficult to read compared to the larger LCD units, control can be inadvertently changed while using the mic
These radios offer many benefits and each is considerably different from the other. The Cobra 75 has a very small module that can be tucked almost anywhere. The module has connectors for power, antenna and an external speaker if better sound is desired. The microphone cable is the only visible cable that plugs up to the hide away module. This radio is no frill but has everything you need. All of the controls are in the handheld mic/speaker module. Find a place to mount the mic and you’re set.
The Midland 75-822 is unique. It can operate similar to the Cobra 75 but can also be used as a handheld. As a handheld it operates like all handhelds…poorly. Don’t get me wrong handhelds work but they are only for the short distance. Think yards instead of miles. The antenna is too small to be efficient in any way but the Midland unit has a trick up it’s sleeve. The battery and short antenna can be removed and an adapter goes in it’s place that includes a power plug and full size antenna connector. Like the Cobra all the controls are with the microphone/speaker. I installed one of these for a friend of mine. He has a 4’ Wilson Flex antenna on the spare tire carrier. The adapter was hardwired to 12V power and routed under the passenger seat along with the antenna cable. When he isn’t using the radio the adapter and cables are tucked under the seat.

Cobra 75
Midland 75-822
Old 09-01-2012, 07:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

BASIC RUNDOWN OF CB RADIO FEATURES FOR NEWBIES

SQUELCH: Suppresses the audio output until a signal of sufficient strength is received. Think of it like a signal gate. Select how strong of a signal you want to receive. Only the signals that strong or stronger will be heard. This keeps you from going insane due to constant static. If you're having difficulty hearing someone you can turn this all the way down and the RF Gain all the way up if available. There will be a lot of static but you may still be able to communicate.

RF GAIN: Radio Frequency Gain - Adjusts the sensitivity of the receiver. This can be useful when you are only talking to others close by in a group. Some people like to turn the squelch down and use the RF gain to quiet the static. It sounds like a softer squelch gate found on higher-end radios. It does not increase or amplify the signal. If the radio does not have it just consider it all the way up all the time.

MIC GAIN: Microphone Gain (AKA Dynamike) - Volume control for your microphone. Like the RF Gain this does not amplify, it is used to turn down the mic if others in the group complain about your volume or you have a mic that picks up excessive background noise. If you have 1000 watt lips this feature is a must . If you don't have this just consider the mic always at full.

SWR CAL: Standing Wave Ratio Calibration - Allows you to tune an antenna without a separate meter.

TALKBACK: Allows you to hear your transmissions over your radio.

ANL: Automatic Noise Limiter - Suppresses impulse noise like that of "dirty" circuits in the area, some vehicle noise, driving by certain lights and signs, etc... There is really a more in-depth explanation of wideband AM noise but remember this is just layman's basics.

NB: Noise Blanker - Similar to ANL but works differently. Suppresses high signal spikes. It basically quickly mutes the radio. Used for spark plug noise, lightning, etc... If you have this on and someone very close keeps dropping out for a second, try turning this off.

CHANNEL SCAN: Just what it says. Scans through all the channels until a signal strong enough to break the squelch is detected. It will stay on that channel until the signal is no longer received then continue scanning.

PA: Public Address - Allows you to connect a public address speaker. This usually can also be used to monitor CB receive while outside the vehicle or ticking off your wife by barking in it while she is digging in the trunk of her car .

NOAA WEATHER CHANNELS: Allows you to monitor National Weather Service channels.

WEATHER SCAN: Scans for the strongest/closest weather alert signal

WEATHER ALERT: Scans the weather channels in the background and interrupts the CB in the event of an alert. On some radios this feature will continue to function when the radio is off as long as it has constant power.

EXT SP: External Speaker - The built in speakers are limited mostly by the size of the chassis. In general an external speaker will be of better quality and may allow you to understand someone better with less overall volume than the built in speaker. This also helps when the radio is mounted in an area that muffles the built in speaker.

CLARIFIER: Used to fine tune the frequency. It only adjusts the receive section on CB's. This control is more important for SSB than standard CB.

SSB: Single Side Band - A method of transmitting that only uses part of the channel bandwidth. Using this mode you can only be heard by someone else using an SSB radio. This feature is generally not used in the off-road community.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sticky????
Old 09-02-2012, 12:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What I consider the top Jeep compact CB radios

WHAT YOU NEED FOR A CB
Your going to have to spend around $150 to get into the game. You will need
  • CB RADIO -$40+ All are limited to 4 watts by the FCC so it is really all about if you want the features
  • Antenna - $20+ This will give you the most difference in range and performance
  • Antenna Mount - $10
  • Antenna Cable - $20 It's best to get this in 18'
  • Antenna Stud Mount $6
  • SWR Meter - $20 You have to tune your antenna for it to work and not damage your radio. Also crucial is to remember to get a 3' or so piece of coax to be able to hook it up. Some come with it some don't.
  • Wire and connections to run the power wires $10
  • Not totally necessary but a good to have would be a multimeter to check the continuity with the ohm setting $10

MOST POPULAR COMPACT JEEP CB RADIOS

FULL TIME MOUNTED - Uniden 520 XL
I would recommend the Uniden 520 XL in most cases after digging through about every post on CB's I can find. It is everything you need and no extras. Fry's seems to have them the cheapest.
-small,cheap, tough, simple and works good with a good antenna setup.
There is also a 510 XL for about 10-15 dollars less. You loose the R/F gain, an automatic noise limiter, and the ability to make it into a PA system (if you install a horn).

MOUNTED BUT CONCEALABLE - Cobra 75 WX ST
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4ASM0MDrMvE#t=98s As far as handhelds the Cobra 75 is a good option and is super popular . The speaker on it is a bit weak. You really need to get an external speaker for this one. It doesn't have a PA option, and the squelch and volume are a bit hard to use.

It has a ton of cool features like:
-scanning thru channels
- Having 2 channels broadcast
- 4 memory channels
- Its small and easy to store.
-You can change the channel with the handset
-Weather Channels

You will have to mount a small body piece in addition to having the hand held part. You can see it in the picture below. Most people put this behind the glove box. It's where you antenna coax cable will attach.

It is a bit more risky being that all the components are in the hand held. "Cool Tech LLC" makes a popular mic clip mount that's often paired with the cobra 75

Another option is to use a "Gear Keeper - CB MIC KEEPER"

CB WALKIE TALKIE - Midland 75-822
The Midland 75-822 seems like a pretty good hand held that you can plug into an external antenna. The little rubber ducky antenna isn't going to give you much range, but would be cool for spotting people. It plugs into the cigarette lighter vs a wired connection directly to the battery like the ones above. This power technically isn't as good but works. You might just get a bit more engine noise feed back. It seems like a good option for someone who just wants to use it on the trails and maybe use a magnet antenna, then keep it tucked away most of the time. I have heard it only takes about 15 seconds to make it into a walkie talkie if you want to spot someone. This one can easily be moved from a jeep to another car if need be, where as the Cobra has that extra box needed.

ANTENNA MOUNT
The Arizona Rocky Road Antenna mount is probably the best rear mount, ie high up and not in-between the tire and window, not next to metal. I have seen someone mount theirs near the top of the 3rd break light which would work good too. You just need to account for the rear wiper blade on the hard top.

The cooltech ultramount (shown below) is nice because then the Coax doesn't get bent all the time with opening the rear gate. Not so great is that it is rather low, a bit more likely to get snagged, and next to vertical metal.

FireFly Antenna
The antenna makes all the difference in CB's, that are limited to 4 Watts. You want to make sure you get it grounded well. Then you need to tune them with a SWR meter. In theory you want them to be as high as possible, as long as possible, and have 1/3 above the roof.

After a ton of research I think the FireStik FireFly (not to be confused with there other models) is the best Jeep Antenna overall. Very flexable, Light weight, More top wound than than the more popular Firestick II. It will have FL in the name if it is a firefly. Here is one on a cooltech ultramount. You shouldn't need a spring with this one.

NO DRILL CB RADIO MOUNT
The L braces should be on the outside of the 3/8" clamp on this picture for a much tighter fit.

In this picture the plastic cover for the top of the windshield is removed. Normally you don't see the wires. The white wire going to the driver side is for the PA.

This mount will work with the new 2011/2012 hardtop that uses the footman loop. I copied this idea from someone who copied the idea. I got everything that I needed to do this mount for a Uniden 520 at Home Depot for about $10. This should work with almost any CB if it is not too deep. It works with the 2012 hardtop. It leaves the back of the radio about 2" to the windshield. I might have to get a right angle adapter for the antenna cable.

The insulated clamps are in a box in the nuts and bolts row. 3/8" is the size you want. It is best to put the L brase on the outside of the clamp instead of being sandwiched in there. It will give you a much tighter fit and won't scratch the paint.

The 1" corner brace was in the row with hinges and gate locks. It is the perfect size. You can also put one or both of the L braces facing in to move the mount or get it to work better.

I had some 1/2" size 10 bolts lying around so I used them. As a bonus they are brass so they will not rust. You need 4 of them and washers and nuts. They were the right size to fit very snug through the corner brace.

I put a strip of "rubber foam weather seal" right on the top back of the radio where it touches the windshield panel. It is the stuff you can put around your doors at home to stop drafts. I forgot to take a picture of it. I think it will remove any noise or abrasion to the panel.
Attachment 316015
When I'm not using the CB radio I wrap the mic cord over the top of the radio and then when I clip in the mic it locks it in place. This is a different mount shown below, but you can see what I'm talking about. During daily driving the cord and radio do not block the view at all.
(picture taken from here->https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-c...2/#post2569458)

HELPFUL LINKS FOR INSTALLING

I would also check out for how to run the power LINK--> Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource » Affordable Jeep JK Wrangler CB Radio SolutionMidland Model-1001Z

I did a bit of a write up here --> https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...2012-a-231369/
Running the antenna coax up the roll bar worked out really well.

This is a really good firestik write-up for tuning your antenna -> http://www.firestik.com/Meas-SWR.htm

If your trying to find a place for your optional PA speaker horn I would check out this link->https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-c...nstall-117982/
Here is where I put my white one.

Good Luck

Last edited by Rooster76; 09-03-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:52 AM
JK Newbie

Wow thanks Rooster. That is exactly how I want to mount my CB.

Quick Reply: Basic CB radio buyers guide