Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Can you damage a CB by high SWR?

Old 06-23-2009, 06:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I see what you mean. I was just using the buzzer function of my multimeter, no actually referencing the actual resistance. I haven't tried a ground strap yet, but I feel pretty certain my teraflex mount is grounded. I've removed all of the appropriate powdercoating, and the mount is showing conductiviity(buzzer) with body as well as the tailgate. (I'll go back and check actual resistance though, and will add a strap to check to see if it gets any better). Does anyone know if using an SWR meter will cause the above mentioned conditions? Does somewhere inside the meter does it touch the outter casing to the inner rod signal? And finally is anyone a CB expert in the phoenix area??? I'm running out of ideas.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:59 AM
JK Newbie

Does it matter if the black wire from the CB is grounded to the actual chassis vs the neg side of the battery (ie splice both pos and neg to appropriate wires from the cig lighter)
Old 06-23-2009, 07:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ground is Ground is Ground. The ground at the lighter plug is the same as the one at the engine or battery negative terminal or any ground post you find throughout the vehicle.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:11 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by mkuzmuk
Does it matter if the black wire from the CB is grounded to the actual chassis vs the neg side of the battery (ie splice both pos and neg to appropriate wires from the cig lighter)
That should be fine.
Originally Posted by Vernnz
Ground is Ground is Ground. The ground at the lighter plug is the same as the one at the engine or battery negative terminal or any ground post you find throughout the vehicle.
As long as you're talking about the DC power circuit, yes. But, once the conversation moves to AC/RF, the laws of physics change. For example, while a capacitor will not allow a DC voltage to pass (once the capacitor has reached maximum voltage), an AC/RF current (at the right frequencies) can pass through it. And, while a coil is just a wound up piece of wire, it will block AC/RF (again, at the right frequencies), while passing DC with no problems (it is just a piece of straight wire wrapped around itself and possibly some type of ferromagnetic core). If the SWR meter has any of these types of components (as well as a number of others), then it's going to throw off any DC measurements you take while it's in the circuit.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:11 AM
JK Newbie

Checked cable disconnected: no continuity between inner and outter
SWR CH1 max on scale ~4
SWR CH40 3.5
Old 06-23-2009, 11:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkuzmuk
OK, I think I might be on to something here... I think the quick connector end of my cable is messed up. When the quick connector is connected, I am getting conductivity on the other end of the cable between the center pin and outer housing. When I take off the quick connector, no conductivity... Which is grounding out the upper stud above the mount... So much for paying extra for the quick disconnect end so it's easier to route thru the vehicle... Guess I'll cut it off and put on a new end... This could be my problem right?
This is what I was responding to...saying that shouldn't be the case...
Old 06-23-2009, 11:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
When using an ohmmeter, always measure RF cables for DC resistance when disconnected at both ends. Otherwise, you might be measuring through whatever it is connected to.
But if you are testing your cable and it tests out OK on its own, then you hook up the quick disconnect to your antenna mount, and check again, and see continuity between center pin and housing on the RADIO end of you cable, don't you have a big problem? When that antenna is connected it shouldn't be this way should it? That's what the OP seemed to have and why I suggested he fix that first before anything else, ya know?
Old 06-23-2009, 12:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ahh OK, I must have misunderstood when he mentioned his antenna mount may have been getting grounded, I assumed he was testing the other end of the cable meaning the SWR meter couldn't have been connected...now I get it!

I might have to take Mark's advice and shorten my ground, everything is hooked up right but my SWR is still high (mid 2's)...maybe a shorter ground will help. Though people seem to run my setup just fine. I think CB's just don't like me!
Old 06-28-2009, 10:53 AM
JK Newbie

Yes, just to clarify, the only time I would get continuity was when the SWR meter was connected in line.

I borrowed a buddy's attenna and immediatly got 2.0-2.4 range. Swapped my Wilson antenna back on, and back in the 3.0 to infinity range. So I guess it has to be my antenna, which is weird because its only 4 months old or so. Guess I'll order a replacement.

What is the key to getting sub 2.0?

Quick Reply: Can you damage a CB by high SWR?