Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

cb antenna

Old 03-16-2008, 09:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cb antenna

just curious i am getting ready to install my antenna. i bought a magnet antenna and too apart the magnet base and was gonna mount it to my spare tire mount does anyone know of any problems this might cause ?
Old 03-16-2008, 10:04 AM
JK Freak

how tall is it and do you have a hard top.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

2-3 ft no i dont have a hard top
Old 03-16-2008, 10:37 AM
JK Freak

you should be fine as long as the tip is over the roof line.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:02 PM
JK Junkie

Also make sure it's grounded well, otherwise should be fine.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikesjk
you should be fine as long as the tip is over the roof line.
I'll be the first to say I'm a noob here but I just want to share my experience. I just got my new antenna Friday and installed it that night. I am using the tire carrier mount (terraflex) Anyway mounting the correct way would have put my 36" antenna too high to clear the garage. I mounted it in such a way that it would be lower (tip from a member) and the antenna is actually about an 1-2 inches below the roof line. I went on my first trail run Saturday and had no issues at all communicating with a line of about 30 vehicles. I was actually glad it was below the roof line or it would have taken alot of branches - my radio antenna was all over the place. My point is it worked fine range wise in dense forest and it isn't even tuned yet. I also did some testing in my driveway where I am pretty much blocked off by houses/garages in town and could still reach an 18 wheeler (also using a small radio) a couple miles outside of town.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:35 PM
JK Freak

do you have a soft or hard top, and because your antenna is lower than your top have you checked the strength of your signal in front of your vehicle and is it short since its lower than the top.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry I should have mentioned its a soft top so maybe there is less density than what a hard top would present. The antenna length is 36" I had to use the lower left location with the mount I got instead of the upper right on the tire carrier where it is meant to go. Signal has not been tested at all nor has anything been tuned since I can't find my meter. It worked flawlessly/clearly for what I needed yesterday on the dense trail run. In the morning I was about mid pack and could always hear the leader and tail clearly and everyone between. Later in the day I was a few vehicles from the rear and still no issues with clarity from the lead.

I understand what is optimal for range and what not I was just throwing out some thoughts for those who may not care about super long range. This may pertain to my area more so and the terrain but most of the vehicles had antennas that where at or maybe just little above roof line. Anything higher and the antennas would take some serious beating, I was dragging a lot of brush/branches along my soft top as it was and am thankful for the way I ended up mounting.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:06 PM
JK Freak

I got 36" FireStik mounted on my third brake light. It sticks out about 12-16" above my soft-top. Works great, but, i hit a lot of branches in the woods, and i can't get the Jeep in my garage. lol
Old 03-17-2008, 07:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wanted to be able to keep mine in the garage especially with the soft top. I guess if I start running into transmitting issues with the antenna being lower I will mount it where its supposed to be and get a quick disconnect for it. I was kinda just hoping to leave it on all the time but I will go with function over form if it comes down to it.

Quick Reply: cb antenna