Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

CB antenna cable

Old 03-09-2011, 04:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roadking54
Is one coax more superior to another? Not the length, but the make, quality, shielded, etc?

I'm about to ditch my firering rg58 set up that I got with my ultramount and install a 20ft RG58 with a PL259 connector at both ends from Radio Shack....good enough? Or should I be looking at Wilson or something?

google these two coaxs
JSC RG-8X Coaxial Cable JSC-3060 ~ .40 cents a foot
JSC RG-8/U Coaxial Cable, per foot - JSC-3030 ~ .89 cents a foot..
both would be good. read the tech data sheets for the difference.
JSC 3060 would be fine...
Old 03-09-2011, 06:51 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by roadking54
Is one coax more superior to another? Not the length, but the make, quality, shielded, etc?

I'm about to ditch my firering rg58 set up that I got with my ultramount and install a 20ft RG58 with a PL259 connector at both ends from Radio Shack....good enough? Or should I be looking at Wilson or something?
Belden cable and Amphenol connectors. You can't go wrong.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:15 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by grady
Found the problem. I decided to eliminate the Fire Ring on the end of the cable. Cut it off and connected up a new PL259 and got a different stud mount and put the firestik back on. SWR now is all 1.5 and below. The lower channels being closer to 1.5 while mid to upper channels are around 1.2 . I started peeling the insulation off the fire ring to get a look at how it is made up. 2 concentric rings seperated by a nylon insulator. Where the ground wire was soldered to the one ring had come complete loose. No more fire rings for me. I now have a 3 ft piece of RG58A/U with new connectors soldered on to give me the length I need, and now just need to find the radio that I like the best. I have one of the real common uniden $30 ebay specials that is about 6 inches wide. Not the best, but it works for now.

could you post picture to show what you have done because i believe i'm in the same boat as you.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by grady
RG58A/U- I have noticed that it seems to come in 9 feet and 18 feet. 18 feet was too short, 27 feet too long. So I cut a 3 ft piece off the 9 footer and soldered on a new connector. I know my solder joint is good. My SWR went through the roof and would not tune below 3. 27 ft was at 1.5 . Is there some logic here that I am unaware of in multiples of 9 feet?

You may have already solved this Problem, However. First off RG58 Sucks!, You want RG 59....And you want to not buy a pre-made piece of it, Even with Basic Solder Skills you should be able to create you own....Here is the Magic!

You must measure from the tip of your antenna! including you Stud Mount or whatever you are using....to the Tip of the connector at the opposite end...This must be Exact 3ft increments.....Tip of the Antenna, To tip of Coax, Throw out the 58 & get 59, buy 2 new connectors & Go to town on it.

Secondly, NEVER put another Connector/Adapter in line, unless you are using some form of swithbox...Then those lengths must be included in you measurements.

I have a Full Co-phased system on mine, utilizing these techniques & have a dead Flat match!.....

After you have done this, Then check that match again....if you have any problems, Check for Ground issues, & Ground as necessary, If the problem persists, Then check your soldering..

You must have a match below 1.5 or you are risking the finals in the radio.....

Good Luck, If you have any Questions PM me....
Old 04-23-2011, 05:43 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DSTORM
You may have already solved this Problem, However. First off RG58 Sucks!, You want RG 59....And you want to not buy a pre-made piece of it, Even with Basic Solder Skills you should be able to create you own....Here is the Magic!

You must measure from the tip of your antenna! including you Stud Mount or whatever you are using....to the Tip of the connector at the opposite end...This must be Exact 3ft increments.....Tip of the Antenna, To tip of Coax, Throw out the 58 & get 59, buy 2 new connectors & Go to town on it.

Secondly, NEVER put another Connector/Adapter in line, unless you are using some form of swithbox...Then those lengths must be included in you measurements.

I have a Full Co-phased system on mine, utilizing these techniques & have a dead Flat match!.....

After you have done this, Then check that match again....if you have any problems, Check for Ground issues, & Ground as necessary, If the problem persists, Then check your soldering..

You must have a match below 1.5 or you are risking the finals in the radio.....

Good Luck, If you have any Questions PM me....
You forgot to mention ONLY use RG59 with a co-phased system, NEVER use RG59 with a single antenna.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:08 PM
JK Newbie

So is the Belden the best cable? If so which one do I need on here? http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine....617+4294014070 Thanks

Quick Reply: CB antenna cable