Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

what cb to use

Old 11-05-2011, 08:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what cb to use

I need a cb bad, want to stay around or under $150. I have the coaxial cable and a 3' firestick antenna. I am wanting something that is fairly user friendly, has good range and don't want a huge cb. I am thinking I will mount in the center console. Please help with suggestions or what to look for. Thanks
Old 11-05-2011, 08:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Buy mine....lol
Old 11-05-2011, 08:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

What kind, how much
Old 11-05-2011, 08:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Uniden pro 520 comes with PA option... Or 510 no PA option.
I mounted it beside my auto gear shift console...passenger side , doesn't get in the way.

Last edited by robsjeep9; 11-05-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
Uniden pro 520 comes with PA option... Or 510 no PA option.
I mounted it beside my auto gear shift console...passenger side , doesn't get in the way.
Does it seem like it has good range?
Old 11-06-2011, 04:50 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Kellnry

Does it seem like it has good range?
I'd say google it and get response's from postings/comments on this or other forums. I don't have alot of experience yet... I've heard for the price and small unit it's fine for offroading and keeping in touch with the other jeeps. As far as using it everyday..... Don't know sorry.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:28 AM
JK Junkie

All FCC regulated CB are max 4 watt output. So it really comes down to features and looks.

How the radio will perform has everything to do with your antenna.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:29 AM
JK Super Freak

All legal CB's are putting out 4 watts - this means that you will see very little difference in performance between one brand of CB and the next. 90% of the performance that you're going to see from your CB setup is based on your antenna, your antenna mounting, how you route your coax, and how you tune your antenna. Only the last 10% of CB performance is going to be determined by which CB unit your purchase...if it's even that much. I'm sure that any Cobra or Uniden unit your purchase will work just fine if it and it's antenna are installed properly.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

K, then what antenna should I run and where do I route the coaxial cable? The antenna is going to be mounted on the spare tire with a terraflex mount!
Old 11-07-2011, 12:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kellnry
K, then what antenna should I run and where do I route the coaxial cable? The antenna is going to be mounted on the spare tire with a terraflex mount!
A FireStik II is one of the best antennas out there. It's rather stiff and will tend to break rather than bend though. A Wilson Flex, while supposedly not quite as good, will bend rather than snap.

Be sure your terraflex mount has a very good ground. Either make sure it's got a solid contact with the gate and that the gate is grounded, or even better, run a grounding strap from the body through the gate directly to the mount.

Speaking of the cable, you can run it through the gate. There are some rubber plugs on the back of the tailgate that you can poke a hole in and feed the cable (and ground strap if necessary) through. Then just follow the wiring in the tailgate back to the body.

Another 'be sure to do this' item is to check your SWR readings and tune your antenna to minimize it. If you skip this step, you might end up with a very weak signal when you transmit.

Quick Reply: what cb to use